Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is my question. I made 543rwhp&550rwtq on a dyno dynamics load bearing dyno. today i went to a dynojet. (it was a mobile dyno) and i only hit 500rwhp&517rwtq. both sessions were at the same psi. it's this just the naute of the beast?

these numbers were produced on a 67mm turbo

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Hey Mike. In my experience, the load bearing dynos are more friendly to turbocharged cars than the inertia type.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
malloynx said:
here is my question. I made 543rwhp&550rwtq on a dyno dynamics load bearing dyno. today i went to a dynojet. (it was a mobile dyno) and i only hit 500rwhp&517rwtq. both sessions were at the same psi. it's this just the naute of the beast?

these numbers were produced on a 67mm turbo
Could you please post both dyno sheets with hp & torque curves. I'd like to see the difference. Also, was this on boost alone?... I don't recall seeing a 2jz motor make more torque than hp. Props for pulling that off. :)

Thanks,
-scott

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
in my experience, turbocharged cars show more horsepower and torque on load type dynos due to the extra load.... boost comes on quicker and harder, its as simple as that. with most other cars however, a load type dyno will show lower numbers because of the extra load. a dynojet and load type dyno measure horsepower and torque exactlly the opposite of each other. a dynojet measures horsepower, or how fast you can accelerate the roller, and then calculates for horsepower whereas a load type dyno measures torque by putting a load on it and calculates for horsepower at a given rpm.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
motorheaddown said:
Could you please post both dyno sheets with hp & torque curves. I'd like to see the difference. Also, was this on boost alone?... I don't recall seeing a 2jz motor make more torque than hp. Props for pulling that off. :)

Thanks,
-scott
hes 7m :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have an mk3 supra with the 7M-GTE. this motor usually makes more TQ than HP.

Both run were done at 24psi. On the dynojet it was about 20 degrees warmer out, so i don't know if that is a factor.

Here is the first dyno for the dyno dynamics. One sheet is HP vs. boost pressure and the other is HP and TQ.

I will upload the DYNOJET one soon.

[/IMG]

here is the dyonjet graph. the reason the power fell off was due to the alky coming on really rich up top.

[/IMG]

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Well, flooding it with alcohol may make the difference quite a bit more than it would normally be, at least where the power dropped off instead of peaking. The torque difference can be attributed to the turbo spooling slower with less load as the torque peak was at 4500 on the dyno dynamics and was at 5000 on the dynojet. Your parts combination wants to make the torque at lower rpm (probably even lower than 4500 if the turbo could be fully spooled).

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks chevy.. i really like the alky. i just need to tune it a bit more. also i tried to run more boost on the dynojet and it wouldn't let me make anymore

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I would want to know when the last time either dyno was calibrated.
and was the proceedure followed per manufacture specification. Our dyno
Mustang import se, require's calibration monthly at the very outside, and
weekly if dictated by use.
but in my exp, I think non loading dyno's are more friendly period.. but
that is just my exp not documented factual data.

-Tonk

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
stratoayu said:
weird i have had opposite experiences. i made less power on the dyno dynamics then on a dynojet.
I agree as this is usually the case. A load baring dyno ie a Dyno Dynamics gives a truer hp/trq reading thats why Chris Katthage of Engine Logics call his DD "the heart breaker".

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,223 Posts
Dynojets are horrible for a car making boost....

Especially on internal wastegate turbos..... I would always have hard times holding more then 14-15 psi on the dyno jet on my ct26 with just the AVC-R but on the street no problem at all.. Would always overboost at the same settings.

Dyno dynmaics are great tuning dynos dyno jets are great bragging dynos and yes 20C would affect performace as well... but not that much I would imagin.. Where you running meth on the other 24PSI run? btw going form 10:1 to like 12:1 gave me 40-60 WHP

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Hey Malloy, time to take it to the track and really see the truth. Its easy to make a horsepower estimate by looking at your trap speed. I dynoed at 505rwhp sae at 25psi and only 390rwhp at 17psi on the last dynojet I went too. I have a feeling that dyno was reading low. Soon as I get my transmision fixed, I will be back at the track to find out whats really going on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts