Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, before you start suggesting on me buying a prius or campy or a smart car... No, I don't like how they look and I know they could be batter as daily drivers than the evo but they are just now my cup of tee. With that being said, I'm looking to buy a new/used daily driver and I've been thinking about the evo for a long time. i would like to know if they are reliable and comfortable to drive every day. If I do buy the evo I'm not going to modified it or anything like that, I have my supra for speed.

I would love to hear from evo owners how your experience with the car has been so far. Are you happy with it, do you regret buying one and what are the pros and cons of owning a stock evo. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Sincerely
Ismael.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,444 Posts
Dont know about Mitsubishi vehicles being a reliable cars, I know Lancers can be modded and be super fast, but if you need a daily maybe look at the new 2012 Civic Si coupe?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have owned two evos, an 03 evo 8 and an 06 evo 9 mr. Both were great daily drivers.

Pros:

-Great speed and handling for a daily
-Good interior room for passengers and a babyseat, if needed (I have a 2 year old son)
-I see your from CA so this may mean nothing but the cars are great in the winter/snow, maybe for you, bad rain?

Cons:

-Not the greatest gas mileage. I drove a mix of highway/city and averaged about 19-23 mpgs.
-Expensive maintenance if you decide to stay with OE parts, fluids, etc.

Not that you mentioned Subarus but I have also owned an 03 wrx and an 05 sti and the evos, in my opinion, are a much better DD. The reason I bring it up is because everyone always mentions wrx/sti when evos come up. Hope this helps a little.

p.s. I never had any major issues with either one.

·
BOOBIES
3,212 Posts
Though this might not go for all Mitsubishis, Evos are surprisingly reliable cars. The problems really lie with some the owners abusing the shit out of/putting garbage mods on the car which affect. That said, if you can find one that has been treated well, it will treat you well. The guy who bought my old IX is very, very happy with his DD :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Evo's are as reliable as you treat them. I will be the first to tell you mitsubishi's are pieces of shit, but they must have accidentally built this car correctly. I have not had a single problem in 2 years. The only problem with this car that I have is the tiny sunglass holder.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have owned two evos, an 03 evo 8 and an 06 evo 9 mr. Both were great daily drivers.

Pros:

-Great speed and handling for a daily
-Good interior room for passengers and a babyseat, if needed (I have a 2 year old son)
-I see your from CA so this may mean nothing but the cars are great in the winter/snow, maybe for you, bad rain?

Cons:

-Not the greatest gas mileage. I drove a mix of highway/city and averaged about 19-23 mpgs.
-Expensive maintenance if you decide to stay with OE parts, fluids, etc.

Not that you mentioned Subarus but I have also owned an 03 wrx and an 05 sti and the evos, in my opinion, are a much better DD. The reason I bring it up is because everyone always mentions wrx/sti when evos come up. Hope this helps a little.

p.s. I never had any major issues with either one.
I'll second most of everything you've said. My Evo IX was pretty modded and had some major and minor issues, but overall it was a great car. It just drove so well that you quickly forgot about any shortcomings it had. In the end it was too much to maintain for a dd so I got rid of it and bought a barely used stock Evo X. It seems the newer an evo you get, the more potential for problems you have. The evo IX's have historically faulty ACD pumps. They are over $2k from a dealer and are obviously out of warranty. Evo VIII's don't have to worry about that though. As far as the X, I couldn't be happier with that decision. It's much better suited for DD'ing. So much more refinement while not losing any of the awesome razor sharp feel that the previous evo's possess. The interior is still cheap feeling though. Lot's of hard crappy looking plastic. But I love it. They also have AYC/ACD. The turn in is incredible and hanging the rear end out is a flick of the wrist and jab of the throttle away. Pump failures have already been showing up though. As well as stretched timing chains, diff pins backing out causing complete and total transmission destruction, faulty fuel pump relays which can cause the engine to run lean under boost, Brembo's peeling, and a few other minor things. Point is, they are certainly not problem free. The biggest thing is maintenance. Don't expect to buy one and not have to touch it for 30k miles. They need constant TLC. Regular Drivetrain fluid changes, brake pads, rotors, clutches, tires, etc., that kind of shit is more expensive from the get go for a car like this compared to a Prius, and they also use them up more quickly. Just keep that in mind. If you found a clean well taken care of example, I think you'd very much enjoy it. They are a blast to drive. Hell you might even like it more than your Supra. :;):

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had an 05' Evo 8 that i absolutely loved and really never had any issues. I didn't have much done to it. Parts list were turbo back exhaust, manual boost controller, drop in filter, and lowered on teinS springs. I was the the original owner, owned it for 5 years, and sold it with 52k miles. At 45k the alternator went out (was covered on warranty) and other than that i never had a single mechanical issue. I never really beat on it, which probably had a little to do with why things didn't break. Alot of guys i knew went through the factory clutch around 20-30k miles because of the hard launching.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks a lot guys for your opinions now i know what to expect. im going to test drive a couple local evos for sale over the weekend, well see how that goes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
thanks a lot guys for your opinions now i know what to expect. im going to test drive a couple local evos for sale over the weekend, well see how that goes.

be very careful if ur goin to dealerships... those evos are BEAT TO SHIT!!!.. iv test drove ones from dealerships and they felt like they were guna blowup/fall apart..

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
had a 9 for a couple yrs. stock less tbe. got ~28 mpg routinely if all hwy.

they made for a decent daily if you are ok with the type of ride it is, premium gas expense, higher priced insurance, and the stigma of ricer boy that comes with the car.

For a daily get a G35 or is300 for the same money. smoother ride and does scream ricer.

·
Super Moderator
11,529 Posts
Why not a GTI? decent pick up, lots of low end torque, good gas mileage, decent reliability (have to regular maintenance). You pick up a MK5 Gti for around 15k now with low miles.

Why not a GTI? Because I bet the OP wants a daily driver, not an electrical fire.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.