Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my son I bought a donor car for the manual swap. job complete btw. on to next project suspension. The car came with a set of M2 performance lowering springs new in the box. I was looking on line to verify they work on a third gen and if so what else I would need to use them. I can find M2 performance springs for a corolla but not someone that is selling them for a supra. the PO was a teenager so I am not sure he really knew. If someone can tell me if they have used them and if they like it would be great. I would also like to know what struts or inserts I would need to compensate for the lowering. ps I could not find any part or serial numbers on the springs to help me look directly. Other information our car doesnot have TEMs.

If these don't work we will just try to sell them and put money toward coil overs or new strut inserts at least.

thanks for the help in advance
beerman

·
7M Fanatic
3,252 Posts
Without a part number, you are asking an impossible question....
M2 are chinese junk, and from what I've seen are a little light on the spring rate, but unless you can verify part number, spring rate, sell them to someone who makes knives, and will hammer them into something usable.

Going lower without increasing spring rate will lead to bottoming.
Putting in new inserts, unless they are adjustable, meant for track use, will not stop it from bottoming.

Dampening must match spring rate, and spring rate must match vehicle weight, and suspension travel.
Buying some odd-ball spring, and some mismatched dampener will give you very poor results.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i wonder if your donor car has the 4.3 gear rear diff (and maybe LSD if you don't have that on yours). I think since your car had an auto it has the lower ratio rear ?

Is the kid learning how to roast the tires and grab 2nd gear yet ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sixpack's advice is spot on. Sooooo many people these days lowering cars with the lowering being done in the mistaken belief the car will handle better. Another healthy portion simply think it looks cool and don't care about the handling. Unfortunately, this second group also ends up with a poor handling, bouncy cars that an unchanged car from the factory could easily out drive. Much of the poor handling is due to the 'must lower car at all costs' attitude which has led to suspension makers happily satisfying that need and taking the money while turning your cars into miserable curs. Proper suspension component replacement would take great care to match the spring rate with the shock damping rate, so strongly consider that especially for a teen driver. A young male is going to be close to the car's handling limits pretty quickly just due to human nature as they learn about driving. Make that car's handling massively dangerous in the hands of even a trained driver with poor components and it's a recipe for disaster. So, reconsider if you really want to move the suspension from a multi billion dollar company's engineering staff development of a safe handling sports car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Every car I’ve ever lowered handled better on smooth surface (racetrack) and ride like shit in bumpy city or county paved back roads. I’ve done Eibachs and tokico’s; I’ve done HKS and Tein coilovers.

Still rode like shit over potholes

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pham - thanks for posting that. So many younger folks think that lowered look improves performance on the roads. They aspire to it, drop a TON of money into a lowered suspension project, then find out the car now totally sucks to drive. Then, human nature kicks in and it is hard to admit they spent a few months savings and it's totally disappointing to drive. So the word doesn't get out that these lowering kits produce a car any stock version can drive a circle around. And yes, I'll put my pink slip up against anyone with a lowered Supra in a series of instrumented road tests. So it was kind of you to candidly post that. I hope it keeps one more young person wanting to enjoy the handling of a world class sport coupe from destroying their Supra's handling by lowering it because not enough of the experienced Supra owners are sharing truth with them like that. Many of these youngsters are doing these things without a Dad in the picture to ask. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts