Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if the previous owner upgraded my N/A Supra's calipers with TT ones or not. He upgraded to the 17" TT wheels, and I remember him talking about the calipers being painted and blah blah blah - I was too siked about getting the car at the time to listen or care. So can anyone tell me if these painted calipers are N/A or TT? Here is the pic:

Thanks guys,
Rob

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I'm pretty sure those are NA.

If you take out the caliper bolts, and remove the caliper. Count the pistons. You see 2, then they are NA.....you see 4, they are TT

·
11,219 Posts
100% NA calipers.

The TT calipers are beefier, and look the same on both side. On the NA calipers, the inside will look beefier than the outside, because the inside is where the pistons are.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Agreed.
When you see the pads like that from the outside, it is a sliding caliper, with pistons only on the inside - as the pressure increases, the entire caliperslides towards the inside and hence clamps on both sides., The ones on the TT are fixed - pistons on both sides of the caliper apply clamping force to the pads.

I was telling my kid the other day, what's how you know if the car makers were being serious about wanting the car to stop well.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Those are NA brakes also some of the J-spec TT have them from factory.

The TT brakes have bigger diameter rotors (12.5"), the NA is (11.6") also the TTs have 4 pistons one peice calipers, while the NAs is 2 peices 2 pistons calipers.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
SparcoSupra said:
Those are NA brakes also some of the J-spec TT have them from factory.

The TT brakes have bigger diameter rotors (12.5"), the NA is (11.6") also the TTs have 4 pistons one peice calipers, while the NAs is 2 peices 2 pistons calipers.

AFAIK, supras have 12.7" disc in the front, and 12.9 in the rear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Those are definitely NA. Do you need 4 Piston TT brakes?

I"ve got a set of TT Brakes, possibly for sale.
The rotors are worn about 10k, but the calipers and lines are standard OEM on a 1998 TT. If interested, make an offer by email to: [email protected]

Thanks,

Ali --> Not SparcoSupra, but what's up

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just measured my car's brakes .... you guys are correct the rear ones are slightly bigger ... this is the first time I notice this ... I always thought the fronts are the big ones due to the bigger friction surface even though I changed them 10s of times.

So after 10 years of owning supras I just learned new thing I must admit ... weard :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts