Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why most people are going with twin walboros instead of twin OEM pumps? Is it because of the price? Have you guys had your walboro pumps fail on you? Let me know. Thanks.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
I would rather go with twin OEM pumps. I have been reading about Walbros failing. But it's all hearsay. Can't beat OEM reliability.

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
Yeah I would go with oem, my walbro went out on my 240 and I replaced it with a OEM MKIV one and it been running great ever since.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Multiple walbro failures here. Couldn't ever find out why. I ordered twin pumps from Denso ~ 150 each. Same ones you buy from Toyota. They are working flawlessly. Almost lost a motor when the car went lean.

Now I have an A/f warning light wired from the AEM so even if one of my denso's fail I'll know it as soon as it happens even if I'm not looking @ my FJO.

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Dual walbros for over a year now, no problems *keeping fingers crossed*.

The only problem I see with twin OEM's is they draw more current (2 walbros is equivalent to 1 oem)

·
My boss set me on fire!?!
561 Posts
One of the problems with the Walbro pumps is that the clearance is so tight in them (in order to get the high flow in the small package) that any small bit of trash that makes its way into them is enough to damage it. Very often it seems that the failures are after someone running low on gas. I have seen inside many of Walbro pumps that are bad and you can see the trash on the inside of them.

Either way I am going to run two MKIV pumps. Ill deal with the current draw.

Thanks

Danny

·
Banned
400 Posts
I have had walboros on multiple cars and to this dayet I have never had one fail...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Twin Denso's here and very quiet. why F with the heart of the beast?

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Twin stockers... and will stay that way.

·
My boss set me on fire!?!
561 Posts
Too add to my post. I have never had one fail myself. I figure I have one stocker now, Why sell it for two different brand pumps, just grab another one.

Dany

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts
Except for the amount of current they draw, the stockers are superior to the Walbros and every other equivalent pump in the marketplace. For the life of me, I have never been able to determine how the switch over to Walbros began in the first place. It is rare, very rare, that you are going to be able to beat Toyota R & D. This isn't one of those occasions.

Ken.

B

·
0 Posts
I have 2 walbros, seems to be holding up fine. Ive had them in for maybe 2 years, fuel pressure on my car has been fine.

The few advantages are lowered draw and smaller size. Yet, I have seen many people report walbros giving them inconsistent fuel pressure.

Stock are best IMO, but are not considered cost effect when compared to the walbro pricing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have twin walboros... and I still am having problems with them... I just recently went back into my tank for the 6th time to figure what is going wrong.. So, i replaced the in-tank hoses. No my FUEL PRESSURE bounces all over the damn place... at idle it will hop around like mexican jumping beans from 42lbs-50lbs..... the fuel pressure doesn't even rise 1 to 1 with boost....

Is one of my pumps dead????

I am tired of this shit...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've probably been in the tank at least 6 times in the last year. Sucks! I hope I never have to open the tank back up again. Why don't you test your pumps to see if one is dead. I wired mine up with quick disconnects so I can easily test a pump. When I first noticed problems w/ my Walbro's they would support around 680rwhp and that was it. I replaced one and made 801rwhp. Everything looked good for 3 months and then had a few more failures.

godelfer said:
One of the problems with the Walbro pumps is that the clearance is so tight in them (in order to get the high flow in the small package) that any small bit of trash that makes its way into them is enough to damage it. Very often it seems that the failures are after someone running low on gas. I have seen inside many of Walbro pumps that are bad and you can see the trash on the inside of them.

Either way I am going to run two MKIV pumps. Ill deal with the current draw.

Thanks

Danny
Danny I never found out why mine failed but I like your explanation. I don't really get on my supra anymore once the gas light comes on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts