Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently live in CA, however I am thinking of registering my car in AZ. My good friend has a house in Flagstaff, AZ and I am thinking about registering my car there. Currently in CA, I have been taking a lot of heat because of my single turbo.

Does Arizona have annual smog inspections? Do they have smog laws at all? Are modifications allowed? My friend tried to tell me that there was no smog laws in Flagstaff. Is this true?

As far as registering a car there, is there a tax you have to pay on the car if I buy a new one? I am planning on purchasing another Supra. I know in CA if I bring the car here and try to register it, I have to pay the $7.75% sales tax. Does AZ have that?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
305 Posts
certain counties and areas dont require smog as the population and pollution is super low. CA you pay 7.75% tax, AZ you pay a shit load of tax. you are looking at couple hundred.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
certain counties and areas dont require smog as the population and pollution is super low. CA you pay 7.75% tax, AZ you pay a shit load of tax. you are looking at couple hundred.
Ok, it sounds like Flagstaff is smog "exempt." So if I bring my car there to get it registered, is the DMV (or MVD I think it is called there) going to freak out when they see my engine is heavily modified?

Also, about the tax in CA. It might be more than the 7.75% I quoted. If I buy this Supra for $45k then I will be paying $4,000 in taxes + registration fees, state fees + a bunch of other crap. So it will be over $5,000 in taxes if I want to register it here in CA. Is it that high in AZ?

I know some of you guys are registering your cars in AZ.

PM me if you do not want to talk about it publicly.

·
Banned
945 Posts
Arizona does not have private party sales tax on car sales. However, if a CA cop pulls you over with an AZ plate and a CA driver's license, you don't know the meaning of "heat."

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You do not pay a flat sales tax you pay a fee based on the year of the car. Given the supra's age your fee will be much less than most state taxes. I saved 1700 dollars by registering my car in Az than paying the standard tax in the state i was living in at th teim. Mileage or purchase price does not matter.

Also, i believe AZ requires you to have AZ insurance if you are registered and driving in the state of AZ. non Az ins ok if out of the state

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have my single with an aem on a obd2 car here in Phx but registered in Sedona. Anywhere outside of Phx, and Tucson does not require any type of smog or emissions check. Not sure how the out of state to AZ level tier inspection works. They have three levels depeding on the situation. I never paid any type of sales tax when I bought vehicles out of state on Ebay or Georgia when i went to pick up my 97 and drove it back. Just the inspections and the registration is all i paid on all my cars.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I have my single with an aem on a obd2 car here in Phx but registered in Sedona. Anywhere outside of Phx, and Tucson does not require any type of smog or emissions check. Not sure how the out of state to AZ level tier inspection works. They have three levels depeding on the situation. I never paid any type of sales tax when I bought vehicles out of state on Ebay or Georgia when i went to pick up my 97 and drove it back. Just the inspections and the registration is all i paid on all my cars.
Either the dealer (front end) or MVD (bakcend) collects taxes/fees on vehicles. Out of state dealers cannot subject you their taxes if the car will not be registered in that state. The AZ MVD likely got their fee when you applied for title in your name.

This only applies when there is a transfer of ownership, not a transfer of registration

·
Banned
945 Posts
Either the dealer (front end) or MVD (bakcend) collects taxes/fees on vehicles.
Assuming that the transaction was through a dealer, not private party.

Out of state dealers cannot subject you their taxes if the car will not be registered in that state.
Come on man, you're an attorney, you should know this. Out of state dealers absolutely can subject you to taxes if you enter that state for the purchase. While some states provide exemptions and exclusions for automotive purchases (Arizona provides a limited exception, only for states with a sales taxes less than AZ. However, county and local taxes apply). A state can collect sales tax if you do business within its jurisdiction. Now, the home state must give full faith and credit from the purchasing state's sales tax against their use tax. See Oklahoma Tax Comm'n v. Jefferson Lines, 514 U.S. 175 (1995).

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Assuming that the transaction was through a dealer, not private party.

YES THAT WAS THE ASSUMPTION. PRIVATE PARTIES DO NOT COLLECT TAXES.

Come on man, you're an attorney, you should know this. Out of state dealers absolutely can subject you to taxes if you enter that state for the purchase. While some states provide exemptions and exclusions for automotive purchases (Arizona provides a limited exception, only for states with a sales taxes less than AZ. However, county and local taxes apply). A state can collect sales tax if you do business within its jurisdiction. Now, the home state must give full faith and credit from the purchasing state's sales tax against their use tax. See Oklahoma Tax Comm'n v. Jefferson Lines, 514 U.S. 175 (1995).
WESTLAW ASIDE, BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCES, WHEN I WAS LICENSED TO SELL CARS (IN TN), DEALERS WERE NOT OBLIGATED TO COLLECT TAXES ON OUT OF STATERS. WE WOULD COLLECT TAXES ON THOSE SEEKING TO REGISTER THE CAR INSTATE. THAT MAY JUST BEEN TN. NEVERTHELESS, THAT MAY EXPLAIN KWAN'S SITUATION. UPON TITLE TRANSFER THE MVD WILL SEE IF TAXES WERE COLLECTED IN THE PREVIOUS DEALER-PRIVATE PARTY TRANSACTION. IF NOT, THEY WILL COLLECT THEIR FEE BASED ON THE YEAR OF THE CAR.

·
Banned
945 Posts
WESTLAW ASIDE, BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCES, WHEN I WAS LICENSED TO SELL CARS (IN TN), DEALERS WERE NOT OBLIGATED TO COLLECT TAXES ON OUT OF STATERS. WE WOULD COLLECT TAXES ON THOSE SEEKING TO REGISTER THE CAR INSTATE. THAT MAY JUST BEEN TN. NEVERTHELESS, THAT MAY EXPLAIN KWAN'S SITUATION. UPON TITLE TRANSFER THE MVD WILL SEE IF TAXES WERE COLLECTED IN THE PREVIOUS DEALER-PRIVATE PARTY TRANSACTION. IF NOT, THEY WILL COLLECT THEIR FEE BASED ON THE YEAR OF THE CAR.
Is your caps lock broken? I don't read crap like that, so I'd assume it says "yes you're right, I put my foot in my mouth."

Cool.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
If you think so

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The latter statement simply provides my basis for the first.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
In addition to the statements above, Arizona just enacted a collector car law that offers the possibilty to exempt out of emissions in the near future. The stipulations are that the car be 15+ years old and must have collector car insurance with an annual usage of <3000mi. Therefore, the 1993 MKIV's can be qualified as exempt collector cars starting in 2008.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just passed Arizona emissions and I haven't a CAT on the car.

They could care less if it's modified, just if it's OB2 compliant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts