Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CR,7M Indio~
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im doing the bhg to mhg now, im thinking to use arp stud kit,but do i need to buy the arp bolt kit too? or the stud kit include everything i need to tight the head? thank u guys for ur help

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
the studs are better in that they don't put excess load on the threads of the block when used, and also hold better

the head can be a major pain to remove after installing studs, but with the new ARP's with the hex socket in the top you can pull the studs out so you can pull the head...

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
Yea studs are no problem at all to use with the hex in the top. I have had my head of twice since the install of the hex-design studs and no problems what so ever. The just spin right out with no resistance what so ever.

I think its much easier to manufacture a stud than it is a bolt/socket head cap screw, I have heard they (studs) are much stronger, but who knows for sure!!!!

·
CR,7M Indio~
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for ur reply´s i will use arp studs..hope everything will be alright after that ..
but now all the arp studs all come with hex design?or i have to order with hex especification?

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
I ordered mine more than a year ago and never specified and they came with them (the hex), Got em from Titan Motorsports, spoke to Jack, they cut me a deal cause I got a MHG and Studs and an SAFC at the same time.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
the studs dont use a "hex" to install, they use an Allen key. the studs dont use a 6-point socket to install into the head. technically, you should just chase the thread in the block and then install the studs "finger tight". they are Never supposed to be tightened into the block. if you are doing this in the car, put the Washers in the head FIRST, then lay the head on top of the block and then drop the studs into the head and use either an Allen key bit for your socket set or a T-handle Allen key; those are the easiest. just run them down but dont tighten them into the block. if you put the studs in and then try to put the washers over the studs, they wont clear the head casting.

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
^^^All that is correct ^^^ Sorry if I was ambigious.

If you want to get specific, I have a SERIOUS amount of tools and only 1 socket I have fits on the nuts for the studs and fits past the casting in the head. Make sure you have a 12 point 9/16 deep 3/8" drive socket. My 12 point deep 1/2 drive interferes with the head.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
good point... dont forget, youll need the 1/2" drive to 3/8" reducer to get your 3/8" drive 12pt 9/16" socket on your torque wrench.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts