Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doing my HG. Metal HG and hardware Q's

Im going to be doing my HG soon. ive deceided to go with the ARPs and the stock HG torqued do to 75 or so f-lbs.

Where is the best place to buy these online and not have to wait forever!! last thing i want is to get stuck doing this and have to wait for some backordered bolts. I [email protected]#$ hate it when that happens and i want to avoid that at all costs.

Also i need the rods and bolts right? 2 separate arp products? ive never ordered them before and im not exactly sure what to order. also....75lbs sound good to everyone? running between 9 and 11psi?

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rather than playing a 3 day game of email tag with different companies asking questions back and forth i figured this would be easier

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Are you redoing the bottom end or the Head gasket? Rod bolts are for the rods. You know down there under the pistons ;)

You want HEAD BOLTS.

Why even take the head off if you are only going to put the stock one back on? You just trying to cut corners and save on the machine work? I'd save and cut corners somewhere else and do this the right way. You may as well just retorque the stock headbolts down. That's about all the good you are doing. Think twice about what you are doin.

The ARP part# you want is 203-3902. I always kept a bunch in stock at MVP. Call them or email any other vendor. Seeing as they sell them, they probably have a better idea of who has them than we do. We don't know who has what in stock. Start calling or emailing.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trent said:
Are you redoing the bottom end or the Head gasket? Rod bolts are for the rods. You know down there under the pistons ;)

You want HEAD BOLTS.

Why even take the head off if you are only going to put the stock one back on? You just trying to cut corners and save on the machine work? I'd save and cut corners somewhere else and do this the right way. You may as well just retorque the stock headbolts down. That's about all the good you are doing. Think twice about what you are doin.

The ARP part# you want is 203-3902. I always kept a bunch in stock at MVP. Call them or email any other vendor. Seeing as they sell them, they probably have a better idea of who has them than we do. We don't know who has what in stock. Start calling or emailing.
I just bought this mkiii. It had a jdm motor put in it and about 20k ago. I was thinking retorquing it would probably blow it seeing as how the engine is so old, etc. and I want to up the performance a bit and im sure i will blow it at the stock torque of the head at like 11psi. am I on the right track here?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
If the engine is that old, then that's an even bigger reason to do it right with a MHG. On an old motor, I would not put a stock one back on there. Put a metal one in and you will be fine assuming the bottom end is ok.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm ok i was thinking about that too. If i went that way i was thinking the tital or cometic. I should be fine without decking the block right? This will be its first rebuild so you'd think the surface of the block would be ok? This is what was worrying me about using a mhg. I don't want to have to take out the block. My car is a DD right now and i can't afford that much downtime. I will be getting the head resurfaced for sure and all the seals replaced, etc. Im taking a bit of a risk with the bottom end but compression is ok on it at least.

So ARPS and a titan/cometic HG. Think it will be alright?

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
prepwork. DO NOT waste your time doing the HG if you aren't going to prep it perfectly. If you don't, you'll end up in here whining about how the MHG blew even though it was torqued right and blah blah blah.

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Look @ your power goals.

350 or less = stock gasket
350 ++ (more 400 ++ range) = MHG/cometic

If you go mhg/cometic you have to deck the block and check its ra.

It is true that on the cometic you don't need near as perfect ra as for the MHG, but still it would be good if you did your best to do everything to atleast standards.

Good luck with everything, hope it works out for you.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,150 Posts
prep work.

Really if your doing a HG job you should be rebuliding the head especially if it's JDM. I'm almost 100% sure if your not leaking though the valve stems you will be.

Why dig in do all that work only to be down in a month.

If I where you I would simply retorque and hope for the best until it blows.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
dont get the arp head bolts..go with the Studs

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ZaZZn said:
prep work.

Really if your doing a HG job you should be rebuliding the head especially if it's JDM. I'm almost 100% sure if your not leaking though the valve stems you will be.

Why dig in do all that work only to be down in a month.

If I where you I would simply retorque and hope for the best until it blows.
Thanks everyone for the input. Everything is going to be done properly. I am getting a toyota gasket kit, water pump, the head done, etc only thing im not doing is the block. Its a jdm motor put in not long ago so im hoping thats ok...

Zazz the head will be getting new cam/valve seals and whatever else it needs and it will be milled no matter what.

The only thing I won't be doing is the bottom end right now. So according to everyone if im milling the head but not touching the block I can't use the MHG?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Head bolts are fine Boosting89. I made over 500rwhp on them and have seen several people make nearly 600rwhp on them. It's not a big deal. Studs are better, but only if you are really going up there in power.

If you are only going to put the stock gasket back on, then a simple resurface of the head and rebuild of the head shoudl be fine. You might want to at least clean up the block a little bit though. Take some of the imperfections out.

If you aren't doing anything to the block, you can't use a MHG. It will blow.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
yea but isnt the studs 10$ difference anyway?

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks trent. I guess i will the stocker then. Last time on my other car i used the stocker. It was fine for over a year driving it everyday. I wanted to use a mhg but i see now that i can't

I can't reuse the stockers because they are TTY bolts but rather than buy new toyota tty's get the arps?

Boosting89 said:
yea but isnt the studs 10$ difference anyway?
I noticed that too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts