Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... I'm pissed off... I visited Sears, 2 Canadian tires and none of them have a 14mm 12pt thin walled deep socket. The closests thing I have is a 9/16' 12pt deep socket that only fits the end ones.

I'm in the GTA area, mississauga to be specific, can anyone tell me where to get a proper fitting socket...

Thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
Can't you order them?? I was just about to go to Sears to see if I can order them. I know they offer them in the U.S. Sears Catalog.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
have you tried any other auto part stores like princess auto, lordco, i dont know if they have them out there but they do here

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I got the head off by practically shoving the socket i had into the slot... but I don't want to do that when i'm putting it back in... Well i could order it, but I wanted it asap... I guess i will have to try another Sears b/c they seem to be the best bet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
KINGPIN33 said:
Well i could order it, but I wanted it asap... I guess i will have to try another Sears b/c they seem to be the best bet.
Phhhew...you scared me...I'm going tomorrow to order it...considering it'll be raining half the week I'm in no rush for it...thanks.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
There is a store on wilson/jane, they sell ALL types of sockets for very cheap. It's called Variety tools. There is a big mall on wilson/jane, called North Sheridan Mall, enter through main entrance, take the escalator to the basement level, walk past the food court and you should see it - it has a big yellow sign. They sell all kinds of sockets for very cheap. I got mine there.. They even have a very nice 12pt socket for ARP bolts for 1/2 drive wrench, very, very rare but you'll have to modify it a little to make it fit in the head (unless you're bolting it on without cams attached). Here's a pic:

Or you could just get one for 3/8 that will fit without any issues but you'll have to use an extension to the torque wrench.

HTH
Dennis

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah thanks for the info'. Yea i remember this picture from an very old post i put up...
What did you use to shave metal off the socket? I got a rotrary tool... was gonna try that.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I used a 9.0 amp grinder with a stone wheel... I dont think a rotary tool would do it.. lol... Maybe it will, but it'll take a you a week... That steel is pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
BTW, if you want, i can lend my socket to you, but i'd recommend getting your own because its not expensive and will be useful to you in the future.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn dinky rotrary tool. Hey thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind. I'm gonna go try another Sears out later. I tried Square One with no luck at all, so I hope Sears at Erin Mills Town Centre has them or else I'll try the place you recommended.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Why waste time/money travelling around. I went to the Sears at the Scarborough Town Centre yesterday...they didn't have it...i picked up the tools catalog...came home; went online and ordered it. I called today and they said it should be here by Friday the latest.

Oh...btw...I asked at Canadian tire...and dude said he hasn't seen a 12 point socket in ages.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
you can get it at cisco at dixie and 401

i have one if you need

why are you pulling the head? we already torqued it to 85FTLB

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ZaZZn said:
you can get it at cisco at dixie and 401

i have one if you need

why are you pulling the head? we already torqued it to 85FTLB

I've changed plans... I've recently discovered the amount of rust on my MKIII. Exspecially the rear subframe and undercarriage. So I've decided to reuse the existing block and slap on the cylinder head i got from you for now. I just want to make it run before my dad bitches at me lol...
I'll probably be looking out for another MKIII with less rust if this doesn't work out. Cause right now, i got a hole going through the rear of the undercarriage.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ahh... I hate rust! My rear subframe is also rusty, but its not that bad... No holes or anything like that.. Im going to USA soon, im gonna try to find someone with a subframe from some southern car with no rust, bring it home, sandblast it, and coat it with that black anti-rust stuff. How bad is your rust on the top of the strut towers? A friend of mine with an 88 recently had his rear strut tower rust away and the shock assembly punched it out and it fell right through. Cost him big bucks to weld it back on.

·
12,222 Posts
well my rear subframe is 0 rust but needs to be welded at the diff hook up because i broke it from torque.

I wouldn't take off the head if I was you I'd just drop the whole engine then and sell the car if thats what you are planning re sealing a mhg is not a fun job if even viaable.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zz_denis, Did that happen while he was driving? I havn't checked my strut towers for any rust yet, but the front seem okay. I'll be using an OEM headgasket on my car to hold things together. I posted a thread in the MKIII section titled "What is this part (found on rear sub-frame)???" with pics showing my rust. Someone said thats not rust, its cancer lol... So i guess its really bad. You have a clean car for its age Eric; I'll be looking out for something like that when money permits.

·
12,222 Posts
very hard to find these days..... Honestly there arn't may out there and if you find it it's lots of coin.

Man I just saw a 04 Cobra yesterday.. fing sick....

38000 taxes in is a damn steal for 390 hp and a brand new car to boot
i'd much rather an 04 cobra then a beat 10 year old mk4...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts