Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had these ARP studs for the past year. The first time I put them in all the studs came loose. I torqued it down and eventually it came loose again and I got BHG symptoms. I torqued it down again, but this time to 120 lbs-ft like the ARP note said and the HG got worse so I figured I'd just change out the HG.

Well 3 weeks down the road, the supra drives and runs fine, but I notice that the car was starting to lose power the third week; mostly in the high range. I take valve covers off and notice that all the intake side studs are still at 85-90 lbs torque, but the exhaust side studs have somehow managed to loosen themselves to 55-60 lbs torque from my original 85 lbs torque. I torque them all down to about 90 lbs torque.

Supra runs a LOT stronger than before and boost kicks a lot harder. :bigthumb:

HOWEVER, I don't like retorquing head studs ever 3 weeks so I would like to know what the deal is with these studs....

I should have just bought the headbolts IMO because I have never had anything like this happen to me with head bolts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
it seems like my headstuds come loose quite often aswell. i just redid mine like last week cuz im getting bhg symtoms too.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
somethings youre doing wrong....ive had mine for over 20k miles daily driver and i beat the shit out of my car almost daily and havent touched them since the day i put them in almost two years ago.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I had 65k miles, and 5.5 years on some arp studs.

I had most of those studs lose torque upon disassembly. no signs of a head gasket problem ever.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
the correct way is to finger tighten the stud's and fallow tsrm specs for torqing, but raise spec from 65-70ft lbs up to 80-85ft lbs correct?

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
IIRC.....

you are supposed to go back in after a few heat cycles and retorque them to be sure, but shouldnt you of used lock-tite or something?

<l><l>

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
don't think lock tite is appropriate on the headstuds.
arp moly lube will suffice

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
opps i forgot to add that, i did how ever go back 3 weeks later and retorqe them, btw, during 3 weeks boost never was above stock, and was lite driving.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told that I was supposed to stretch them upon installation to ensure that they will not stretch anymore via bolting and retorquing them 3 times. I didn't do that initally and so my first HG went on me.

Technically, this is my fourth time retorquing the head studs and so it shouldn't come loose right?

Hopefully this HG doesn't go on me... otherwise I'm throwing out these studs for some headbolts. lol.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PM-Performance said:
your not putting them in correctly if they are coming loose .

I finger tighten the studs and then put moly lube on the nuts. Screw them in and then torque them down to specs in the correct order. That's all the instructions I got told me. Never said anything about heat cycling or retorquing.... or perhaps it was in the fine print? :rofl:

And I believe 85lbs with moly and 120lbs with engine oil.

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
Ive had ARP BOLTs faile after 23,000kms because..........I never retouqed like i should have

Now i have ARP STUDS on resufaced block

If you gasket keeps failing check the deck is flat

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hyshka said:
do you not put the moly lube on the stud part where it enters into the block?
I did try that on one of the studs and the moly grease ended up creating a vacuum in the thread port and slightly seized the stud. I took it out and cleaned it up. After that I just used the moly on the nut threads.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
theyr studs!! no need to retorque studs,. when u talk about bolts yea those u deffinatly need to retorque. studs i putem in once when i got my metal head gasket in, then never went back to them. its been about 30,000 and werks like a champ

·
90T
752 Posts
Measure the length of the studs that are loosening. If they are not stretched, then your head is collapsing or your threads are pulling out of the block.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MADSUPRA88 said:
theyr studs!! no need to retorque studs,. when u talk about bolts yea those u deffinatly need to retorque. studs i putem in once when i got my metal head gasket in, then never went back to them. its been about 30,000 and werks like a champ
No, the main reason why the factory uses bolts is because they don't require retorque; however the downfall is that they can only be used once due to stretching.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
3p141592654 said:
Measure the length of the studs that are loosening. If they are not stretched, then your head is collapsing or your threads are pulling out of the block.
I'll do that in another 3 weeks. :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts