Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
The Old Breed
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Illinois State trooper pulls me over (for window tint).
2. Asks for license but I give him my Military ID since I did not have license on me.
3. Arrests me for 36% window tint.
4. Instructs me to turn vehicle on and press gas.
5. Gives me a ticket for "aftermarket/excessively loud exhaust." (HKS Super Dragger is fairly quiet)
6. Places me in back of his squad car, but releases me because of an "error in his computer."
7. At this point I have to 2 tickets (tint and exhaust)
8. Trooper lets me go.
9. I pull away slowly of course and he follows.
10. About 30 seconds later he pulls me over again.
11. I hesitate for a bit not knowing what is happening and then I pull over.
12. Trooper claims I was speeding 64 in a 55. (why would I speed if he is right behind me!)
13. Trooper then gives me 3 warnings (speeding, failure to yield to emergency vehicle, and no license)
14. Trooper harasses me by saying I have no respect for the law and lack discipline because I have disregarded previous tint and exhaust warnings.
15. I then say, "You don't tell me I lack discipline, I'm a Marine Sgt. I have served for 7 years and fought in Iraq last year. I served my country and nearly lost my life (I have purple heart plates on the car) Give me my damn tickets but don't disrespect me."
16. The trooper then cooled down a bit and let me go.

I believe he pulled me over the second time claiming I was speeding, just becasue he forgot to give me a warning for not having my license on me. I will fight this.

Now on to the exhaust issue.
Options:
1. Replace it with a stock exhaust with electronic cutout.
2. Replace it with a smaller exhaust that looks more like stock.
3. Find a legal aftermarket exhaust if it exists.

Is there an aftermarket catback exhaust for the MKIV Supra that is 50 state legal?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ya, I am active duty as well and I was pulled over in GA last week for speeding. I showed the guy my Military ID and Driver's licence. He smirked and said, "What the hell do I need your Air Force ID for??" Then he said I was going 88 in a 70, when in all honesty I was cruising at 79.. I asked him to see the radar gun and he declined saying he didnt have to show me, then he changed and said he was using lasar and it resets itself after 2 minutes.. I just sat there and took it, and as he started to walk away from the car he said, "You military guys always think you deserve a break, I don't give breaks.."

So dont feel bad, there are assholes in every state, everywhere..

But I did file a complaint against the officer..

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
They're just mad because their uniform aint shit compared to military. The know who the REAL soldiers are jealous so they try to flex their power by doing that. I would get that guys name file a complaint..try to find his boss and embarrass him by saying he was talking crap because you serve your country so he felt he had to harrass you.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
Did you punch him in the nuts? You should have punched him in the nuts.
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/IL/
As for the exhaust, just get the DOT exemption numbers.
From the MKIV mailing list;

> A: All HKS exhaust systems are engineered to comply with the 95dB noise
> limit law specified by the California Highway Patrol and the Society of
> Automotive Engineers - Except ones that are designated for Off-Road Use
> only.
>
> Each system is individually designed for a specific application and
complies
> with the requirements of Sections 27150, 27151 & 27200 of the California
> Vehicle Code; and Title 13 of the California code of Regulations, Section
> 10361, which establishes a noise limit of 95dB(A) for passenger cars. This
> statement applies to unmodified HKS exhaust systems that are less than 13
> months old, are in good condition and which have been properly installed
on
> the specific vehicle for which it was designed.
>
> The age of your exhaust system along with certain engine modifications,
such
> as headers, intake, etc., may also affect its current noise level output.
>
> Please check with your local and state law enforcement agencies for exact
> regulation requirements.
>
> If you would like documentation on HKS exhausts that meet this criteria,
> please contact either your local authorized HKS Dealer or our Tech line at
> 310 491 3300.
>

·
Registered
188 Posts
makaveli200369 said:
They're just mad because their uniform aint shit compared to military. The know who the REAL soldiers are jealous so they try to flex their power by doing that. I would get that guys name file a complaint..try to find his boss and embarrass him by saying he was talking crap because you serve your country so he felt he had to harrass you.

Tell that sh!t to the officer who got shot in the face, shoulder and arm the other day around here. Give me a friggin break. Officers are killed all the time in the line of duty on a DAILY basis. That being said, the trooper sounded like a buthole. Most of us give breaks to military but not all.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
DEADEYE said:
Tell that sh!t to the officer who got shot in the face, shoulder and arm the other day around here. Give me a friggin break. Officers are killed all the time in the line of duty on a DAILY basis. That being said, the trooper sounded like a buthole. Most of us give breaks to military but not all.

Yeah and I bet that same cop that got shot in the face doesn't drive around harassing people the way the other jerk off did. If I am wrong and he did..well then payback is a bitch aint it? He will walk around with a new out look in life.

Either way cops are 'somewhat' protecting you from crooks and criminals..soldiers are protecting you from terrorists so they don't come here behead you and so you don't have to be the one to go out there and dodge bullets.

I've already made my choice on who I give more respect

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
makaveli200369 said:
Yeah and I bet that same cop that got shot in the face doesn't drive around harassing people the way the other jerk off did. If I am wrong and he did..well then payback is a bitch aint it? He will walk around with a new out look in life.

Either way cops are 'somewhat' protecting you from crooks and criminals..soldiers are protecting you from terrorists so they don't come here behead you and so you don't have to be the one to go out there and dodge bullets.

I've already made my choice on who I give more respect
You're a moron. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
DEADEYE said:
so you're telling me that you treat us military guys who volunteer to fight for the country and willing to die for it the same as the highschool/college/losers sitting at home doing nothing but drugs, molest kids, disrespectful, rather die/run to canada if there's a draft & causing troubles?

most cops who don't give military guys a break are highschool/college grad and never serve a day in the service themselves. They do it for the money and have no clue about brotherhood or appreciation of military guys.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Kroze said:
so you're telling me that you treat us military guys who volunteer to fight for the country and willing to die for it the same as the highschool/college/losers sitting at home doing nothing but drugs, molest kids, disrespectful, rather die/run to canada if there's a draft & causing troubles?

most cops who don't give military guys a break are highschool/college grad and never serve a day in the service themselves. They do it for the money and have no clue about brotherhood or appreciation of military guys.
Well said Kroze

and G..You are the Moron.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Man, what a nighmare. This is why I drive around with my tinted windows rolled down(Car came with them). I can see a cop having a field day with tickets, warnings and harrassment and the same thing happening to me.

As far as military guys serving our country---Highest respect possible. I've had 2 relatives die in wars and my grandfather was a cop. Any dangerous job where you are protecting/helping people and can loose you life deserves respect and appreciation(Cops, firefighters, included) This cop was not very understandng or even fair, but they aren't all like that.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
This only says it's for Calif, I wonder if there is such a cert for all 50 states, or if Calif is the strictest and it applies to all 50?

Since I have the TRD gen2 exhaust, I saved a picture of a TRD sticker that comes on their exhaust but I can't figure out how to post that pic here. But is says:

........."This TRD Exhaust System complies with California's modified exhaust enforcement provisions (Vehicle Code Sections 27150 and 27151) [Q2 and Q10], which states that exhaust systems must meet a 95 decibel noise limit (13 CCR 1036(d)(1)).

It is highly recommended that this certificate be kept inside the vehicle for reference in the event of an inspection.

For more information please call TRD (800)688-5912.

Document No. TRD ARB SND 0001"...........

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
#15. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
well i am curious as to the laws..

So I dug up the Illinois legistlation

Sec. 12‑602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P. A. 77‑37.)

of course it doesn't say what are limits. I am trying to look at municipalities for that though.

now if it is like here, we have it that it actually goes to a different legistlation, then that legislation points to a EPA noise pollution law and then THAT law point to where the damn limits are.

and that trooper was an asshole.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
I posted up California because they are the strictest state. Here in NY the police follow the CA laws. There are only another handful of states that follow CA laws regarding the DOT and the way CARB exemptions are handled. The Tri State area is part of that handful. Post number #15 shows you exactly what I want you to do. I didn't think I would have to clarify, especially in a Nazi state like IL it helps to know your local laws. Be aware there are a few (minority) of areas in IL which are trying to make all exhaust modifcations illegal. I think as recently as May the courts threw the case out because it was too vague and SEMA asked for a second bill to be overturned. Call HKS with the number I posted and they will walk you through getting a written statement of the part serial number and possibly a CARB certificate.

·
Banned
175 Posts
AZV said:
1. Illinois State trooper pulls me over (for window tint).
2. Asks for license but I give him my Military ID since I did not have license on me.
3. Arrests me for 36% window tint.
4. Instructs me to turn vehicle on and press gas.
5. Gives me a ticket for "aftermarket/excessively loud exhaust." (HKS Super Dragger is fairly quiet)
6. Places me in back of his squad car, but releases me because of an "error in his computer."
7. At this point I have to 2 tickets (tint and exhaust)
8. Trooper lets me go.
9. I pull away slowly of course and he follows.
10. About 30 seconds later he pulls me over again.
11. I hesitate for a bit not knowing what is happening and then I pull over.
12. Trooper claims I was speeding 64 in a 55. (why would I speed if he is right behind me!)
13. Trooper then gives me 3 warnings (speeding, failure to yield to emergency vehicle, and no license)
14. Trooper harasses me by saying I have no respect for the law and lack discipline because I have disregarded previous tint and exhaust warnings.
15. I then say, "You don't tell me I lack discipline, I'm a Marine Sgt. I have served for 7 years and fought in Iraq last year. I served my country and nearly lost my life (I have purple heart plates on the car) Give me my damn tickets but don't disrespect me."
16. The trooper then cooled down a bit and let me go.

I believe he pulled me over the second time claiming I was speeding, just becasue he forgot to give me a warning for not having my license on me. I will fight this.

Now on to the exhaust issue.
Options:
1. Replace it with a stock exhaust with electronic cutout.
2. Replace it with a smaller exhaust that looks more like stock.
3. Find a legal aftermarket exhaust if it exists.

Is there an aftermarket catback exhaust for the MKIV Supra that is 50 state legal?
ILLEGAL ARREST? Get a lawyer!

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
so Illinois is the same way :)

go look here, then here THEN here is what you are looking for ;)

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/chicago/ said:
11-4-1160 Motor vehicles.

(b) No person shall sell or offer for sale a new motor vehicle that produces a maximum noise exceeding the following noise limit at a distance of 15 meters from the centerline of travel under test procedures established by Section 11-4-1330 of this chapter:

Type of Vehicle.......... Date of Manufacture ................Noise Limit dB(A)
(1) Motorcycle............ After 1 Jan. 1975 .............................84
Same........................ After 1 Jan. 1982............................ 80
Same........................ After 1 Jan. 1985............................ 78
(2) Any motor
vehicle with a
GVWR greater
than 10,000
pounds
except buses).............. After 1 Jan. 1975........................... 84
Same........................... After 1 Jan. 1978.......................... 83
Same .......................... After 1 Jan. 1982.......................... 80
Same .......................... After 1 Jan. 1985.......................... 77

(3) Passenger cars,
Motor-driven cycle
and any other motor
vehicle ....................... After 1 Jan. 1975........................... 80
Same ......................... After 1 Jan. 1983 .......................... 78
Same ......................... After 1 Jan. 1986 .......................... 75

(4) Buses with a
GVWR greater than
10,000 pounds............ After 1 Jan. 1975 .......................... 84
Same........................... After 1 Jan. 1983 .......................... 80
Same .......................... After 1 Jan. 1985 .......................... 77

(d) No person shall modify or change the exhaust muffler, intake muffler or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle in a manner such that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is increased above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured. Procedures used to establish compliance with this paragraph shall be those used to establish compliance of a new motor vehicle with the requirements of this article.

11-4-1330 Test procedures--New motor vehicles.

Test procedures to determine whether maximum noise emitted by new motor vehicles sold or offered for sale meet the noise limits stated in Section 11-4-1160(b) of this chapter shall be in substantial conformity with current revisions of standard recommended practices established by the Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., and including SAE Standard J331; SAE Recommended Practice J336; SAE Standard J986; and such other and further standards as may be propounded in the code of recommended practices of the department of the environment.

(Prior code § 17-4.24; Amend Coun. J. 12-11-91, p. 10978)

11-4-1340 Test procedures--In-use motor vehicles.

Test procedures to determine whether maximum noise emitted by motor vehicles in use meet the noise limits stated in Section 11-4-1160(c) of this chapter shall be in substantial conformity with current revisions of standards and recommended practices established by the Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., including SAE Standard J986; SAE Standard J331; Recommended Practice J366; Recommended J184; and such other and further standards as may be propounded in the code of recommended practice of the department of consumer services
so my advise, get a lawyer let him deal with it :)

Of course the officer didn't test the limits so how could he know if it was noisier than stock? I say go get him ;)

15 meters is a ways away btw :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts