Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello SF !

It’s been a while, I’ve been away from SF in the last few months but I should be able to start coming back more regularly :) My MK3 is going well, asleep in my garage for the winter.

A friend of mine who also owns an MK3 asked me if I could print him an ash tray gauge pod with 2 switches. Looking online, I didn’t found any… Time to spend some time in FreeCAD again! :)

I’m quite happy with the design I came up with! It’s two parts, joined by spacers. At first I made the spacers directly in the front plate but it wasn’t practical to print. That’s why I made screwable spacers, works like a charm!

I made it available for free on thingiverse if anyone’s interested :

Link on thingiverse

Motor vehicle Steering wheel Camera lens Auto part Steering part

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Font
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Cylinder Bullet
Product Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper
Audio equipment Gas Technology Auto part Film camera

I did a test, printed the front plate in black resin, mixing in some flexible transparent resin. The result is splendid!

Material property Electronic device Electric blue Circuit component Auto part

3D Parts view
Cylinder Engineering Auto part Gas Automotive wheel system

Have a nice day!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice model, thanks for posting it! I like how you added the chamfered back edge on the front plate.

Are you using Catia to model these? I use it for work.
Thanks! :)

I used FreeCAD to create this. Funny thing about Catia : 20 years ago I used to be a sysadmin managing catia + vpm installations (V4 on UNIX workstations), but had no interest at all in 3D modelling at that time! I could have learned so much from the skilled mechanical engineers I was working with! Two decades later, (thanks to the 3D printers), I’m learning FreeCAD by myself haha :p

Are you a mechanical engineer? What kind of stuff are you designing in Catia?

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I liked my design and wanted to do a little more with it, I decided to create a couple more pieces!

I created different front plates:
  • Blank delete plate
  • Delete plate with small supra logo
  • Delete plate with big supra logo
  • Single pod plate without switches
  • Single pod plate without switches with supra logo
  • Plate to use with a pocket

I also created a pocket, available in two flavors : with or without a supra logo in the bottom. There's different styles of back plates depending on which front plate you want to use. All this available on the page linked in the first post.

As a post like this is worthless without pics, here's a couple :)

Circuit component Blue Green Electrical wiring Gadget

Vehicle Blue Yellow Motor vehicle Vehicle door

Enjoy your day!

S.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah - that things pretty cool - pair it with the right ecu & change maps on the fly? that'd be sweet.

While we're on the subject of deletes & function add's to various bins & whatnot, there's also this I've come across...

I’ve seen these ones from auto extrude before, these are also 3d prints… One of these days I’ll probably redo a design and share it with the community :) At some point, I’ll also design something for the TEMS location… don’t know what yet tho haha :p Thinking about USB plugs for now…

S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts