Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
My Own "Carbon Fiber Guy"
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go out on limb here and make a post about a new car without the intent to banter about it costing too much or that no one will buy it....:stickpoke

I am really, really surprised to be honest that no one has posted this thing up yet and started kicking out first impressions:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/5/12095744/aston-martin-hypercar-am-rb-001-photos-launch

http://jalopnik.com/aston-martin-am-rb-001-meet-aston-martin-and-red-bull-1783115183

I think that the AM-RB 001 (name yet to be officially published) looks like it is made in the same spirit as the F1. Light, minimalist, N/A and the brain child of a Formula 1 engineer. I am going to have to say that this car has the proper ingredients for greatness in the making. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Great looking car but at $3-4mil and 99 ever made pretty much makes it one of those irrelevant cars that might as well not exist. These will be sold to select billionaires and hidden in a garage never to be seen again.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
And I have no idea how to edit the title *Martin

Cheers to quick typing gone wrong!
;)

Cool car, looks like a McClaren / pagani hybrid.

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for the exclusively, I would rather them make 10 than zero. If I recall the F1 had similar production numbers.

Bottom line, the car isn't expensive to make it exclusive. It is expensive because that is what it takes to make it happen.

And from where I am sitting the Murci is pretty irrelevant in terms of price and exclusively but I still love and lust over it none the less. Like, a lot.

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed! Only it weighs 2,200 pounds with over 1,000 hp. That is 800 pounds less than a P1 with more power!!!!!! Holly cow this thing will be a game changer.

And I have no idea how to edit the title *Martin

Cheers to quick typing gone wrong!

Cool car, looks like a McClaren / pagani hybrid.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
This is a very spectacular car but I'm not totally digging the big cutout on the sides and how it makes the front almost look like separate floating pods, or maybe like a transformer ready to stand up and fight.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
As for the exclusively, I would rather them make 10 than zero. If I recall the F1 had similar production numbers.

Bottom line, the car isn't expensive to make it exclusive. It is expensive because that is what it takes to make it happen.

And from where I am sitting the Murci is pretty irrelevant in terms of price and exclusively but I still love and lust over it none the less. Like, a lot.
You had me until the last paragraph lol. Not sure what a $200k Murci that is relatively available to purchase has to do with a $illiom dollar car with 99 kept in garages ? You pretty much reiterated my point while trying to disagree lol.

The LP640 drops jaws everywhere I go and more importantly they are actually driven regularly because of the fact that 4099 of them were made and were not $4 million USD.

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You had me until the last paragraph lol. Not sure what a $200k Murci that is relatively available to purchase has to do with a $illiom dollar car with 99 kept in garages ? You pretty much reiterated my point while trying to disagree lol.

The LP640 drops jaws everywhere I go and more importantly they are actually driven regularly because of the fact that 4099 of them were made and were not $4 million USD.
It is a point on perspective. I couldn't plunk down $200K for a car just as well as I couldn't do $4M. Both are just out of reach for me and equally irrelevant because I will not own either in my lifetime. But just because I do not see a Murci every day or have one in my garage doesn't mean that I do not love it and respect the engineering that went into it. Same as with a P1, 918, Laferrari, F1, F40, F50 and yes, the AM-RB-001. All out of reach to almost everyone but I am very, very grateful that each manufacturer didn't listen to their good judgment and built them all.

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a very spectacular car but I'm not totally digging the big cutout on the sides and how it makes the front almost look like separate floating pods, or maybe like a transformer ready to stand up and fight.
Form following function. I believe that it was a decision driven by aero and not a stylistic call.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Form following function. I believe that it was a decision driven by aero and not a stylistic call.
OK, I can see that for a racecar. But if I try to see this as a potential street car, IMO they went too far.

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I can see that for a racecar. But if I try to see this as a potential street car, IMO they went too far.
We will see I suppose. If it translates into an indisputable performance advantage then it might become more palpable. Perhaps high performance street cars have not been going far enough all this time.

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
816 Posts
I personally love Aston Martins and I personally love this AM-RB. What I don't like is the approach of such a small limited run, as someone mentioned only billionaires will be able to purchase and will be stocked away in a garage facility and never to be seen again. I'd rather them do a Bugatti Veyron/Chiron or a McLaren type approach to actually see these vehicles out on the road or don't sell them to public at all and keep it strictly race(if that so ever happens).

Case

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I personally love Aston Martins and I personally love this AM-RB. What I don't like is the approach of such a small limited run, as someone mentioned only billionaires will be able to purchase and will be stocked away in a garage facility and never to be seen again. I'd rather them do a Bugatti Veyron/Chiron or a McLaren type approach to actually see these vehicles out on the road or don't sell them to public at all and keep it strictly race(if that so ever happens).

Case
Aston Martin claims that they will build 100 - 150 so they are gearing up to make as many as if not 50% more units than the McLaren F1. Even with the low production numbers, 99% of the folks on SF rave about their love for the F1 and don't seem to mind the exclusivity. Not sure why this car is making people light up their torches and bring out the pitch forks.

And I see some similarities between this car and the F1 in that the F1 was designed by one of Formula One's engineering greats; Gordon Murray. Fast forward to today and the AM-RB-001 was designed by one of Formula One's most accomplished team principles; Adrian Newey. I believe that this car will be as big of a paradigm shift for high performance cars as the F1.

Adrian Newey claims that the AM-RB-001 will run faster lap times than an F1 car. Let that sink in a bit..... A street car that will run faster lap times than an F1 car and that you can drive home. I can think of no street car that has ever been produced that can make the claim of being faster around a circuit then an F1 car of the same period. Maybe I am forgetting an example?

·
816 Posts
Well good then, for some reason I was under the impression McLaren made more. I stand corrected. I think this will be an amazing car and cannot wait to see it come to fruition. This is coming from a guy who wants to build an RCR with a twin turbo 4 Rotor ;)

·
816 Posts
Yes, yes and more yes! Doooooooo it!!!!!!!!!
Trust me I want to so bad and this AMRB reminds me of one. The RCR project has been a dream for almost 8 years. If I ever find myself making the money to do it, I will. Completing my current build is what I'm concentrating on at the moment.

·
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts