Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I think I'll be approaching even the fringe of this threshold very soon, but I'm curious. Are these 900+RW dyno dawgs running on the stock shaft?

Also, I saw Joe's (Altered Atmos) carbon fiber driveshaft in MD a few weeks ago. Is it stronger or lighter (or both or neither) ?

Thanks,
John
www.utahracing.com

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This is off topic, but I noticed this one Powerhouse's website...

---
PHR Carbon Fiber Driveshaft Upgrade. These units have been tested to 10,000 RPM and hold up to severe drag strip launches time after time. If they do fail for any reason, the material transforms to a dust-like consistency saving the car and driver from costly damage. Expect about 1-2 pound savings over the stock unit. Price: $1,700.00
---

That has got to be a typo doesnt it?... 1-2lbs savings with a CF driveshaft??? That sounds completely wrong.. I thought a CF driveshaft was supposed to save you like 20-30lbs =|

I was thinking it would be nice to have to save on rotating mass... but that isnt saving a damn thing on rotating mass...

As for what horsepower level these become mandatory, Id like to know too :D ^ bump.

S

·
0 Posts
TOTALLY unnecessary with autoMAGICs....aren't we LUCKY?

Even Ara runs a stock one running mid 9's in his 6spd.
How do I know?? He broke one in the burnout box before we raced. His guys had extras in his trailer and had it fixed in time for our final round though...:(

-Roberto

BTW I got my NEW Triple plate PI converter last week.

·
0 Posts
If I remember correctly, the reason it only lightens up a couple pounds is because the part that is most heaviest is still in the original material. It is only the shaft that is carbon fiber, thus very small difference in weight. some guy posted the reason before...i would search for it...i think he called it the real reason sumething or other.....he is trying to get one made that is actually going to lighten it up

M

·
0 Posts
Driveshafts break at odd times on MKIV's. Vivek broke his BPU++ w/ a 50 shot, but SW runs 9's w/ the stock one w/out problem. It is all how serious of a launch you do, if you notice SW is very gentle w/ the car @ the launch so he doesn't break anything.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
I don't recall ever hearing about a broken DS on an automatic, just on 6 speeds that were being launched very hard on a sticky tire. Lots of driveline shock.

The auto is much easier on the DS and rear end, you can load it up on the line by power-braking, eliminating that sudden impact a high RPM launch with a 6 speed has.

Were it me I would stick with the stock one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts