Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here using or have experience with ATI Powerglide 2 speed transmission? :D
I just saw this on 9sec Supra in May issue of Turbo Magazine. It looks pretty damn good. I was wondering if it performs and good as it looks. I like get some more information on this product if I could.

Danny

·
Banned
336 Posts
Powerhouse is selling a 2-speed auto tranny for the supra. I saw the ad on FruityTransRacing.com. They seriously do have one for sale tho, around 4-5k with everything. Give them a jingle and find out.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find their site. Do you have a link? If this is as same kit as PHRs, $5000 sound pretty good. :D

Anyway, anyone running 2 speed trans on their car? I like to hear from you guy if you do.
Btw, will I be able to drive my car on the street? Mine's daily driver. :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
powerglide is not very streetable....more a drag only set-up.....depending on gearing, they are set to top out at the end of the 1/4 at redline......that means cruising on the hiway at 80mph wll be like 4500+rpm.

A better choice is the ford racing STB tranny. you have to manually shift it(like any auto that can reliably handle over 600rwhp). It has overdrive and would be very similar to the stock tranny setup. Except for the fact you can run 1000 crank hp through it with no problem and you mannually shift it.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
I'll throw my 11cents in here too....

This past Winter I very seriously thought and reseached putting in powerglide...that turned into looking at a TH400 or Freddy Brown race tranny (ford). I turned to the two latter since they had additional gears - i.e. the TH400 is a three speed vs. 2speed powerglide.

Bullish did a powerglide in Paul's blue Supra. Well, BLK-SP64 is right - you'd be cruising on the highway around 3500rpm's or higher - lots of wear and tear.

A race prepped TH400 would cruise much better and yield the same, basically, drag results. So, why did I not get one???

Price really - the total package to convert to a powerglide or TH400 would have been about $7700-8000 or so...total price for my Pro-Tech $4000.

You see - on top of the $5k for the used PHR tranny/TC - you'll need a flexplate - adaptor, new drive shaft, oh, and you'll have to bang out the transmission tunnel too! So....the PHR deal isn't really all that much better than getting a new one.

*But it would kick ass!

Good luck and happy hunting,

Jay

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
But what if.........

A certain company was working on a bolt in (meaning no adapter plate, or funky flexplate) T400 or 4L80E (4 spd version of TH400). This tranny would require no mods to the tunnel because we are having custom bell housings made to bolt right up to the 2J block, and having 5 disc lock up converters made that will bolt to the stock toyota flexplate on one side, and slide right into a TH400 on the other. These trannys can with stand 1500 HP all day and be locked up at full throttle.

Would you guys be interested??

We have been working on this for some time.... getting close!!

Lar
SP

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh...

FINALLY! Good ol' TH400. Memories of my 455" GTO lurk in my head: Screeeech! Second gear, BANG! Screeech! Third gear, BANG! Chirp. :D

Make mine a TH400 w/GV overdrive, Larry! I think the 4L80E requires too much electronic jibberish, no? Fuck, get me either one! Better yet, save Danno some money and sell me the stuff to drop in my own TH400 I have sitting in my garage! :cool:

Who wants a good, used Supra trans? Mine's for sale...

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Philly Single said:
the total package to convert to a powerglide or TH400 would have been about $7700-8000 or so...
HUH?!?! :wtf:
I currently own a sweet, freshly-rebuilt TH400 short tailshaft trans with a full Art Carr arsenal installed. My friend built it for me, it will handle over 1000hp, and total cost was $900. My converter is also an Art Carr 4000-stall piece. It set me back $750. That's a total of $1650 for a bulletproof trans. I can't believe the missing $6000 or so is for the adapter pieces/labor...:eek:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, I am in the process of adapting the Glide to my 2jzgte and this is the cost so far...
975.00 for a Glide from Transking(they advertise in National Dragster weekly and build race tranny's for alot NHRA bracket racers) The glide is there "sportsman glide" which will handle up to 900hp and comes with a turbo spline input, hardened shaft, and Pro tree transbrake. As far as the converter, they said all I need to do is take some measurements(with regards to the flywheel v. converter fully installed in the tranny) and then send them the flywheel and they will mount the tabs to the converter to match the flywheel...all this for 650.00) I am going with a 4500 stall in my case, but you can make the call on what stall speed you want. Then, an adapter plate from Paisley automotive is only 650(and I will be making my own out of 1/8 mild steel, but for the sake of argument, lets say you buy the adapter plate) You then have a shifter 150-200 and of course SFI approved flywhell shield(100 from JEGS) and SFI approved trans shield(200 from jegs) Custom driveshaft varies, but I had one made for 200 last time I needed one to convert a toyota pickup rearend to a chevy turbo 350. Grand Total-2800(and if you make the plate yourself, only 2150...) Where do they come up with 5000-6000, heck, you can even get a pro glide, with SFI approved Dedenbear case and bellhousing, aftermarket gears, 4340 shaft for 2600.00) and this tranny will hold 1500hp...
A freind of mine runs the Transking Glide and he went the entire race season(he has 496 big block that runs 9.40's in a Chevelle) approximately ten races, plus numerous test and tunes and it lasted the entire season without failure, he just sent it in to have it "refreshened" it was only 200 bucks! Now, lets see anyone do that with a supra auto tranny! Of course the glide is for vehicles under 3000pounds and is drag only, but heck, thats what alot of us want anyway!
Transking also does turbo 350's/400's too...
Dave

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like I should wait a while. Where do I sign up? :D
Thanks for good info guys.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
FYRARMS said:

HUH?!?! :wtf:
I currently own a sweet, freshly-rebuilt TH400 short tailshaft trans with a full Art Carr arsenal installed. My friend built it for me, it will handle over 1000hp, and total cost was $900. My converter is also an Art Carr 4000-stall piece. It set me back $750. That's a total of $1650 for a bulletproof trans. I can't believe the missing $6000 or so is for the adapter pieces/labor...:eek:

Nice...if you can do it more power to ya man. I'm simply passing along the info I found:

Brand New 'pro-stock' Powerglide (may be overkill, rated at some obscene 2000hp or something): $3800-4000
New Stall: $1000
Flexplate: 800-1100
New drive shaft: ?
Shifter...adaptor..etc..misc small stuff...

Now - Lar...you're killing me! Keep me posted on your...err...some company's...new creation. Est. Pricing?

Jay

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sound Performance said:
But what if.........

A certain company was working on a bolt in (meaning no adapter plate, or funky flexplate) T400 or 4L80E (4 spd version of TH400)....These trannys can with stand 1500 HP all day and be locked up at full throttle.

Would you guys be interested??

We have been working on this for some time.... getting close!!

Lar
SP
I'm very interested IF it's a 4L80E (4 spd).

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not in hurry to get a new tranny but just wondering if you are getting closer, Larry. :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it looks like this is the new area that we auto guys are going to be exploring. I have spent many hrs looking into the subject and I will share what info I have.

I guess we should 1st define our goals. All supra owners want is a reliable transmission that will never break. It has to handle 1000rwhp and yet a the same time have 4 speeds(min) so Highway cruising/milage is not hindered. Tall order.

From what I understand, we can have it all. The only sacrifice will be autoshifting. As I understand it, transmissions that can handle over 850hp have manual valve bodies. This means you put it into the gear you want--like a clutchless manual.

STOCK CARS GEAR RATIO SPECS
----------------------------------

2.804/1.531/1.00/0.705 -------------------and the rear Diff is 3.769

The stock auto will be at 2800rpm at 80mph in 4th (26 inch tire)

THE CHOICES ---------------------- Rpm at 80mph in top gear
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

powerglide---- 1.76(1.82 opttional)/1.00------------3900rpm

TH400 ---------- 2.48/1.48/1.00------------------------3900rpm

4L80E ---------- 2.40/1.47/1.00/0.67-----------------2600rpm

As some of you know Gear Vendors sells an external overdrive gear that attaches to the powerglide/TH400. These reduce the gear ratios by 22%. Therefore a powerglide with GV could have a final ratio of 0.78 and an 80mph rpm of 3000rpm. The same applies to the TH400. If you want to use 1.00 final ratio on the hiway for extented periods, you'll want to get the GV.

Lastly....price. I do not know all the tranny vendors prices but on avg. a race ready manual valve body powerglide/th400 is about $1500 w/o any options (sfi bell ect). Now add $2200 to $2600 for the gear vendors overdrive. Thats about $4g. A race ready manual VB 4l80e is about $2600. If you are going to put any of these trannies into a Supra, you will need a TC($600 to $900), custom adapter plates, new driveshaft and a lot of tranny tunnel modification. If you have been adding along, you can see how these parts add up quickly. Now add labour and a $3000 rebuilt Supra tranny looks like a bargain.

Hopefully SP will be able to put a TH400/4L80E into a Supra specific housing that will bolt right in. Then we can get back to work figuring out what else we can break.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Here is what we have going right now:

TH400 with custom valve body allowing the use of a lock up converter

Custom bell housing adaptor to allow you to bolt the stock 340 Toyota bell housing to the TH400

Custom 5 disk lock up converter that will bolt to factory flex plate

Some things that need to be mentioned before everybody tries to guess the cost of this:

The cost of the valve body extention, external lube circuits, electronics, and deep pan that allow the use of a lock up converter on the TH400 (Remember, GM never had a lock up TH400)

The cost of a totally custom converter designed JUST FOR OUR SUPRAS using a TH400

The additional costs to build a TH400 for 8000 RPM + shifts (billet aluminum drum etc) so that it wont explode and cut you and your Supra in half

I believe that we will also include a trans blanket in the kit for everyones peace of mind

The cost of the adaptor to make it bolt right in with little or no trans tunnel modifications

The cost of a custom trans mount

The cost of a custom driveshaft and adaptors

We are not sure what we are going to do about the shifter mechanism yet but with in the next two weeks we will have the prototype here and will be working on that. We are hoping to be able to use the factory gear selector and some sort of a cable setup. The stock trans mechanisim is on the pass side of the car and the TH400 is on the drivers side. If this isnt possible, then a different gear selector will be needed also.

The cost of making the electronic speedometer work with a TH400 - if at all possible??

We are hoping to have some more detailed info soon and have a better idea as to what the package will cost. I can tell you IT WONT BE CHEAP, but after driving 1100 miles to Houston, only to have repeated torge converter / tranny failures, IT WILL BE WORTH IT.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got off the phone with Lar. The tranny should be awsome if it works. I drive my car every day, so I am concerned about the fact that the Th400 with our base 3.769 rear diff. will be turning at 3900rpm at 80mph. Larry had a perfect and obvious solution in mind----A 6spd rear diff!!! The six speed diff is 3.133. With that diff. and the TH400, the engine will be spinning at 3200rpm at 80mph and top out at 198mph at 8000rpm....very similar to stock!!

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
The only bad thing about using the 6-speed diff is that you'll be hurting yourself out of the hole. Better option IMO is to keep the auto diff and get the 4-speed (4l80e). Or if you want to toss on some huge rubber in the rear, get a n/a gear set (4.27:1).

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
DaveH said:
The only bad thing about using the 6-speed diff is that you'll be hurting yourself out of the hole. Better option IMO is to keep the auto diff and get the 4-speed (4l80e). Or if you want to toss on some huge rubber in the rear, get a n/a gear set (4.27:1).

Remember Dave, the TH400 has been around so long that there are different gear options available for 1st and 2nd gear. My car is out of first gear before the 60' mark now so a longer first gear would be nice.

Lar
SP

1 - 20 of 21 Posts