Supra Forums banner

Atmosphere or Exhaust

2K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Bean 
#1 ·
What would be best wastegated vented into the atmosphere or back into the exhaust? What are the advantages of both?

#2 ·
The actuator is fed by air pressure from the compressor side of the turbo: when the boost reaches the predetermined pressure the diaphragm forces the wastegate open and slows/limits the speed of the turbo.

When the wastegate is vented into the atmosphere it fools the wastegate actuator into believing that there is less boost. That leaves the wastegate closed longer and you'll hold more boost.

When the wasteage is vented back tot he exhaust, it limits the speed of the turbine, which limits the boost pressure.

Venting to the atmosphere is louder and has more performance gain.

#4 ·
rwsupra.com said:
Couldn't have explained better myself....to understand his point of louder, you'd have to hear it in person. Sounds like a 747 taking off.

Ryan
It gets the ladies attention :D
They all like it :p

#8 ·
I personally like it. You can hear the turbo spooling and building boost and all of a sudden its like a big woooooooooosh. Sounds really really mean, like your car has 600 horsepower or something. All the domestic car guys can't figure it out either :D

#10 ·
Rocky28072 said:
I personally like it. You can hear the turbo spooling and building boost and all of a sudden its like a big woooooooooosh. Sounds really really mean, like your car has 600 horsepower or something. All the domestic car guys can't figure it out either :D
mabe that would be good if you really had 600hp, you would actually sound like it! lol

anyways, it is quite loud. When i go race miles away freinds say they hear me, not like an exhaust sound but more like a screaming from the WG

#11 ·
I think it is all preference for the most part.. some like the sounds of the open gate and some dont,,,, there are cars who make BIG HP both open and looped WG...I myself have mine blowing into atmosphere..

#13 ·
New clutch and 525's are in the car! :rockon: So im going to the dyno tomorrow if Keith Kraft is open on sunday :confused: I have to burn 1/2 a tank of gas before tomorrow so i can put some C16 in for some 20psi + 75 shot pulls. Will post numbers if i can get to the dyno tomorrow

G
#15 ·
BlackSupra93 said:
theres no danger in stalling from open atmosphere wastegate though right? thats only from an open atmos. BOV right?

only effects are sound and how high you boost?
There is not stalling problems with running a atmosphere wastegate.

I am running one on my DSM and love it. You don't hear it when your just driving around but sometimes when taking off in 1st the gate will start to open but it about the sametime as I am shifting. When racing everyone can hear it, shit my mother called my cell phone at leaving my neighborhood the first day I installed it and took off out of my neighborhood.:D

#17 ·
DSMwildfire0310 said:
There is not stalling problems with running a atmosphere wastegate.

I am running one on my DSM and love it. You don't hear it when your just driving around but sometimes when taking off in 1st the gate will start to open but it about the sametime as I am shifting. When racing everyone can hear it, shit my mother called my cell phone at leaving my neighborhood the first day I installed it and took off out of my neighborhood.:D
you must have a strong spring...im only going to be putting out out 6 or 8 psi....so i imagine it'll be open a lot my supra?

#19 ·
#22 ·
**Windows Media Player Error**
An invalid media type was specified

I have downloaded codec 2 demo and have WMP 7.1, and have WMP set to automatically download codecs.

What's the deal?

Need to see vid. Must see soon or will burst; I'll set the building on fire.

--Justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.