Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i told you i'd review it once its on. and its on. soooo.....
im gonna do the best i can, although this is somewhat harder to review.

i had a shop put it on, my dad insisted that he didnt want anyone but toyota doing it to preserve the stock system.
anyway my dad took the car to the shop and i got there just as he was pulling it out of the garage. the first thing i noticed of course was the sound. it was beautiful. im going to try and describe it to ya.

outside the car
at idle the car has only a slight rumble to it. just enough to ripple the air and make a deep sound, not overkill. revving it produces a sweet sound. when revved to just under 3k, all you hear is a silky rumble, as the rpms fall down you will hear a slight growl similar to , but not as pronounced as that of a v8. under higher revving, the pitch changes to a slightly higher note. it gives a combination of the rumble and a SLIGHTLY higher pitched ((i dont really wanna call it this but im lackin on the word) buzz. not ricey but not the same rumble as lower in the rpm range. it has pronounced sound driving down the street, but not TOO loud either. just enough for people to hear you coming and be scared ;)
INSIDE THE CAR. the noise level is increased slightly and deepend ALOT. it sounds the noisiest under 2.5k rpms and it probably the loudest at 40 mph. when you get up towards 50 and 60 mph the sound starts to dissapear. the tone blends in with road noises, so it wont be annoying for that long drive.
i should also mention between 1 and 2k rpms the air flow vibrates the car slightly...i think cuz of the bass sound the exhaust produces there.
i drove by my one friends house and he thought it sounded like bass from a stereo stystem. he was inside his house when he heard it though. and my other friend who thought my car sounded like a "bumble bee" in stock form now approves of the sound my exhaust is making and he actually likes it.

ok well now that sound is out of the way, its time to talk PERFORMANCE. i should now mention that my car is a 93.5 auto NA. when i put my airfilter on(apexi for mkiii turbo) the rpms shot up in every gear. when i say this i mean that the car held longer in each gear before shifting out to the next. this caused almost a 3 mpg drop :eek: (to 16.5 town driving) i expect to be getting some of those mpg's back now, because my shifting pattern has returned to normal...DUE TO THE INFAMOUS LOSS OF LOW END known to the HKS super dragger. im assuming its low end torque you lose. at any rate, this loss of power IS NOT too much to deal with. it just feels sluggish, like the car has an extra 300lb passenger in it((thats an exaggeration)). actually what it is, is that there is so much sound down low it's decieving. it makes it seem worse than it is. the rpms still fly from idle to the point where the car gets to moving(1.5-1.8k rpms), and then it just feels alittle bit sluggish until 3krpms. the car does feel more torquey(is that a word) from about 3krpms up, but i havnt decided yet on how much top end is increased. what i have noticed is that my car in first now tends to shift at 3.2k in first compared to ~4 w/just intake. 2.8-3.2k VS ~3.8k in the shift second to third gear, and ~3 VS ~4 in the shift to fourth respectively(under normal driving). you still get to the same speeds just slower and in a FEW less rpms...im assuming thats what a loss in tq does.
mid range feels good and strong, and i punched it once or twice top end and it pulled strong. only a little bit stronger than with just the intake, but I THINK the increase was slight(could be more though).

OVERALL that is what i have NOTICED. now i am going to stress the fact that the noise is awefully deceptive and makes it alot harder to judge the power. as my friend said today when i took him for a ride "Damn it SOUNDS like were flying(we were lightly accelerating to 40). the sound actually makes the car seem heavier, and it makes the pull seem awefully sturdy. it is completely different that before in sounds which may make my judgements alittle bit less accurate that at the same sound level. so here it is. the start, slightly sluggish, gets moving and sounds "strong", get to the mid-top end and keeps pulling and SOUNDS like its moving. so overall id say a moderate increase. but keep in mind i have an intake. i think it really just "cleaned up my airflow and made the intake and exhaust flow about equal.
i am going to really STRESS this again. it does feel strong, but it SOUNDS strong too. you feel that sound in you acceleration because its a deep bassy sound. which make is SOUND powerful, the increase is probably only a few rwhp. its hard to say exactly but there is a moderate increase and the sound is REALLY nice. hope this helps people. if anyone with the dragger wants to add commments of correct me PLEASE DO!!!!! sorry its so long but ive seen the infamous exhaust question on here a lot lately, and i simply want to give people the knowledge im aquirring as i go.

Bob
--Needs a Signature--
PS. i dont believe this will be the exhaust if all you want is pure horses. im "old school" and like the straight back muller design with a big tip and canister. so this one looks sweet to me, and sounds sweet. it depends on what you want. apparently the N1 gives a great hp gain of *dyno tested* 14 rwhp. id donno what i got from this in rwhp's. in complete packaging id say this exhaust rules...not overly agressive, and not too quiet...and i love to roll down the windows to listen to it :D

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
thanks for that critique on the drager exhaust, bob. the original one, that is.... i have the drager 2 and i would describe it pretty close to the same as this one except that i wouldn't say it is quiet. i would put the drager 2 on the loud side. but the drager 2 comes with a silencer. if you've seen the vid that i put up a few weeks ago, it sounds like that but there is also a high pitched noise (which i don't really like) that for some reason could not be heard on the vid. to add onto that, my cat comepletly broke off from the rest of the exhaust piping the very next day. everything else bob said was pretty much that same. it's a bit different when i have the silencer on. i actually do feel as if i gained some midrange power but it all goes away when i reach the higher rpms. but it could just be the effect of the exhaust being quieter.

·
1,005 Posts
I just recently sold my HKS Super Drager. I didn't like the size of the canister and the size of the tip. Too big IMO....I'm looking around for something smaller and fully stainless steel. Any suggestions???
Oh another thing I didn't like about it was how low it hangs...I heard its pretty low and when you lower your car...you might be scraping a lot...ouch:(
On a positive note tho...I heard it's one of the best sounding exhausts for the Supra, which is why I bought it in the first place:D

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i would say get the blitz nur spec. smaller but might be louder and is full stainless steel, and it exits at an angle.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
need someone who really understands torque and hp to answer a question

ok, i need to tell you guys this, and ask if my rational makes sense.
in my quest to determine if my exhaust(yea guys its the drager 1) ive been paying close attention to everything. especially rpms @mph. and they have dropped overall i noticed. in stock form with my auto, it ran 60mph at about 2700 rpms. with the intake it did 60 at about 2900 rpms. now with the exhaust and intake combo i do 60 at 2400 rpms. that is probably b/c of the loss of tq. but here is what im thinking. since im doing lower rpms at the same rate of speed, the car MUST be more powerful..? if it uses less power(rpms) to do the same speed(60mph) doesnt that mean since im using less work to do the same amount i have more power? or am i off on this..? and also..would that mean my car was less powerful with the intake VS stock cuz the rpms were higher at 60 with the intake?
well thats all for now, i expect to see the gas mileage go back up again, on daily driving its usually below 2.5krpms and below 2 most of the time :D .

so even if its not more powerful its running more effeciently i think. oh well, let me know what you guys think, i ran out of time.
thanx in advance!
Bob
PS. i dont plan on lowering the car and clearances have been fine so far.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mkivsoopra said:
How about doing some back to back dyno pulls with stock exhaust vs HKS Drager :D ;)
alright, you pay for the uninstallation and reinstallation of the exhaust, and the dyno pulls, and ill do it . ;) :D

but comon...cant anyone tell me what it means if i do 60 at 2400 vs 60mph at 2800rpms..?

thanks
Bob

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:

alright guys well ive filled up twice since i put the Hks drager on. after the first time i was pretty rough on the car. lots of stop and start, short trips around the neighborhood, and a few high revs.

i got 16mpg.

my car is shifting at the normal points now tho. so my car was just cold when it short shifted.

the second tank i only revved high a few times and more normal type of driving. normal driving for me is a lot of in town and back roads driving, where its start and stop, and alittle bit of highway. this second tank of gas we achieved 20 MPG!! its only been two tanks, so nothing is hard proof yet, but im thinking ill be gettin close to 20mpg's on just about every tank now. just to let you know.... you CAN get better performance and sound and get better mpg's. :D

ill post after a few more tanks of gas.
Bob

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the Way.

just thought you guys woudl like to know.

stock- 19mpg average

w/just intake. ~16-17 mpg's.

so far with exhaust and intake - 20 mpgs. ill let you know how things keep going

bob

·
Registered
126 Posts
What type of mileage are ya'll getting on the highway? I came back from ocean spring, MS, and I averaged 29.7 miles/gallon. I drive mine pretty hard in town and I still get 20/21 mpg. I average overall in a week on city/highway...24mpg.
I have exhaust, and intake

·
Registered
759 Posts
Damn 29.7. . .that's great mileage. Didn't even make that with the shitbox honda accord that I drove in high school. You have a 5 speed or an auto? Any other mods beyond intake/exhaust? Do you have stock rear gearing? Wing?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts