Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
School is on thursday the 27th of April. Can't wait..

So far by getting ready is this:
-4 BFG KDW2
-Alignment that I got off the MKIV.COM website
-New helmet I bought from Roseville cycle (Its sick, flat black)
-Turned my rotors and got new OE pads(front and rear)

My mods:
SSR competition 18x8.5, 18x9.5, RMM DP, HKS CF exhaust, HKS filter, HKS BOV, BLitz electionics (sbc-id, power-id, boost, oil press., water temp.,timer), HPF clutch/RPS PP/Cynergy. Custom 6 point cage built by me.98 headlights, phillips HID, etc.

As far as suspension I am screwed. I only have the Tanabe G210's. :rolleyes:

Anybody got any tips? I am starting to get really into this. Drag is boring.. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Was there April 1, with NASA. Great road course

1. Know your reason why you're there.
2. Have fun
3. Know your limitation
4. Be aware of others on the same track
5. Know your flags

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
this helped me out quite a bit from bikiniracer.

bikiniracer said:
1. Bring plenty of Gatorade
2. Wear long pants
3. Don't try to keep up with anyone else
4. Listen to your instructor (you are taking out an instructor right)?
5. Don't try to be too brave or fast
6. Enjoy the drive without cops around
7. Check and top off all fluids in your car
8. Have fun and come home safe.

Plenty of track days as you get more experience.
there's also this http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162783

and a previous thread similar to yours here.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350090

Omar

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Looks like the list has most of the stuff although they may require long sleeves like Nasa does. Also a notebook to jot down tips/lessons learned is a good idea.
Have fun out there, don't try to compete with the other folks, they may have a lot more experience in their little 120 hp car that's hanging with you or passing right by.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Does Roseville cycle sell race car helmets?

NASA will not let you run with a motorcycle helmet.
If you do not have a SA2000 rated or above helmet, they won't let you run.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh crap, I bought a DOT approved motorscycle helmet. Doh!

I am expecting civics to pass me by, but this is a school, are they allowed to do that?

Notebook is a great idea, thanks guys!

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
You need to get the helmet thing straight ASAP. Motorcycle helmet standards do not have fire saftey standards, and are designed to withstand 1 initial impact. Car helmets have fire retardant paint and interiors, and are designed to withstand multiple impacts.

passing will be done on straights with a point by in the introductary groups.

have fun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
turbomx5 said:

I havent seen any specific "race car" helmets at RCC, but it couldnt hurt to give a call. I'd also give Suicycle a call. They match internet prices, have better deals, and are generally friendlier than almost any other place I've been to.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
my point was that cycle shops don't sell car helmets. I was trying to politely point out he bought the wrong thing without being presumptious.

·
Registered
155 Posts
turbomx5 said:
my point was that cycle shops don't sell car helmets. I was trying to politely point out he bought the wrong thing without being presumptious.
Turbomax5 is correct interm of helmets are pacifically made for certain used. They are SCCA sanction, so make sure they are SA2005 and good to go.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree! I was suggesting that the OP call around to get a proper helmet.

Where does one usually buy SA2005 helmets?

EDIT: Duh, he already bought the helmet. I sure did a good job of reading the thread. :scratch:

·
Registered
793 Posts
FYI it's going to rain like hell at thunderhill saturday.

- Randy

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
turbomx5 said:

I thought this rule was only for competition road racing. Nasa allows this for time trials, so I assumed they are allowed for HPDE as well.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
NASA east coast is a lot more lax than west coast. Out here, motorcycle helmets won't get you onto the race track for any type of event run by NASA.

Every NASA event I have been to in socal as well as norcal, during vehicle saftey inspections they check your helmet rating. Maybe you can get "lucky" and they will not ask, but why risk your entry fee?

They check this stuff for a reason. Not because they are trying to sell more helmets. Motorcycle helmets won't cut it if you are in an accident. You only have one head. Why not protect it properly?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So obviously I will nto be able to get this helmet at a cycle shop right?

·
SC Under Pressure
290 Posts
You said you are attending Thunderhill Racing School and they may have different requirements than NASA, regarding NASA, this is from NASAProracing.com:

"SAFETY EQUIPMENT – ....You will be required to wear a helmet when on the track. The minimum rating is SNELL 1990 (SA1990 or M1990). Newer helmets with a SA rating are recommended. Eye protection is required (face shield, goggles, safety glasses). The more and better the safety equipment you have & use, the safer you will be."

During my two events at NASA HPDE at T-hill, no one was tripping over helmets. I would recommend Simpson, they are seen seven of ten times out there. The Nomex lining is a big safety factor. I just pointed to my helmet and the tech guy just nodded. The Simpson logo helps on that, they recognize them.

Also, don't get the impression these guys are hard core, they are not NASCAR officials looking for a reason to kick you out of there, they're enthusiasts and I saw them work out some things on track day to help some guys out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts