Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2.. questions... not to start a war but since these 2 kits are considered the best out for the supras right now!

what input can you give about

1.what if any benefit is there over a ball-bearing turbo and a non ball-bearing turbo??

2.also what if any gain do you get from venting your wastegate to atmosphere and reticulating back in?

i just wondering as are others.also if you can give any more input on your kits that might help others!

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
I can tell you this much from MY experience:

At Hahn Racecraft I had the opportunity to work with MANY turbosystems. I found out that the minute horsepower gains achieved by a ball-bearing turbo do NOT outweigh the huge cost! Reliability? Take care of your turbo, feed it good oil frequently, and it will last a long time. We broke ball-bearing turbos as often as standard units, and they were twice as much to repair...

Venting the wastegate in to the atmosphere did not add significant power gains, either. Just made lots of noise, got the engine compartment nice and dirty, created lots of heat, and of course, failed emissions. Venting to the downpipe did NOT pose much of a restriction. Just depends how efficient your cat-back is...

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Venting to the atmosphere does have slight performance gains. I've seen 2 cars pick up 20 rwhp by venting...
Peter

·
12,619 Posts
WHAT?

houstonT said:
Venting to the atmosphere does have slight performance gains. I've seen 2 cars pick up 20 rwhp by venting...
Peter
You mean to tell me that by bypassing the downpipe and exhaust, the car picked up 20rwhp? Damn. That SURE is a restrictive exhaust system you have there! I have seen little more than 15rwhp gains after removing the ENTIRE exhaust system and running a dump tube after the turbo! Sounds fishy to me...

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Here is a copy of a post from the big list on BB turbos:

>Ball bearings have been used off and on since the 30's. It's certainly
> >possible that ball bearing turbos handle axial loads better than plain
> >bearings, but in terms of friction, ball bearings have inherently more
> >drag than plain bearings especially when they are flooded with oil. The
> >real question is how much axial loading is there, and why. There are
> >lots of methods of controling axial loads with ball, needle, tapered
> >needle and roller bearings.
> >
> >As far as the stories, if you go to Garrett's site, they claim ball
> >bearings spin up faster. They make no claims at all about longer life,
> >better axial load control, or any of the other things I have heard about
> >ball bearing turbos. If I really wanted to know about plain vs. ball
> >bearings, I'd ask a truck mechanic (one with a few smarts, not like some
> >of your typical diesel techs). Truckers put more stress on their turbos
> >than we can imagine. Just think about what it takes to haul 40,000 lbs
> >up a hill like the Grapevine on I-5 in CA. That turbo is screaming its
> >little heart out all the way up the hill...we're lucky (and flat hauling
> >ass) if we get a continuous run at full load for a whole minute, they do
> >it for 5, 10, 15 minutes straight. That's a real workout. If ball
> >bearings are so superior, the trucking industry wouldn't even bother
> >with plain bearing turbos. Last I heard, the jury is still out there
> >too.
> >
> >Lance
> >'93 TT 6 speed Coupe

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Re: WHAT?

Well then i suppose the HKS titanium is a restrictive exhaust...
:rolleyes:

FYRARMS said:

You mean to tell me that by bypassing the downpipe and exhaust, the car picked up 20rwhp? Damn. That SURE is a restrictive exhaust system you have there! I have seen little more than 15rwhp gains after removing the ENTIRE exhaust system and running a dump tube after the turbo! Sounds fishy to me...

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
houstonT said:
Peter

I'm sorry but 20 RWHP is not worth the annoying cop attracting sound. It sounds terrible. Not even a good sound...... Maybe I am getting old?

Lar
SP

B

·
0 Posts
SP site

Hey Lar,

Not to be off topic or anything, but what is SP's website....just lookin for a turbo upgrade and wanted to check out your stuff.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Kripes!

Is their a limit to sig size? All that AND a cookie too?! Glad I'm not on dial up.

·
12,619 Posts
Re: Re: WHAT?

houstonT said:
Well then i suppose the HKS titanium is a restrictive exhaust...
:rolleyes:

Exactly my point! :rolleyes: If you are using such a non-restrictive exhaust, why do you see a 20rwhp gain when bypassing it? In fact, you are not bypassing all of it, just the amount vented from the wastegate. I'd just like to see it with my own eyes, that's all...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does anyone have a sound clip of a wastegate vented to the atmosphere? Thanks Dan

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
A T78 vented to the atmosphere at WOT, and at full boost, is one of the most beautiful sounds on the planet!!!:D, and it makes some extra power too!!!:tongue:
Just think, some people pay $700.00-1400.00 extra just to pick up a few extra HP from an intake manifold or a potentually harmfull nitrous system, when they could have gotten that extra power for free from an external wastegate, think about it, and the GReddy kits cost less money too!

Bob

·
Banned
820 Posts
drs211 said:
Does anyone have a sound clip of a wastegate vented to the atmosphere? Thanks Dan
Ever hear a Grand National at the track with the most annoying exhaust sound? That's pretty much it. Don't have any clips, sorry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts