Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys are in fact legal and racing per IHRA/NHRA rules, what are you doing about things such as SFI scatter shield, SFI axles, and half of the other SFI crap they require. I know a Titan pulley is SFI, but who's got a flywheel....grrrrrr....rules, I hate rules.

Ohhh, and does ANYONE have an IHRA rule book? I need a few pages scanned and sent if possible :)

thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
OVRBST said:
If you guys are in fact legal and racing per IHRA/NHRA rules, what are you doing about things such as SFI scatter shield, SFI axles, and half of the other SFI crap they require. I know a Titan pulley is SFI, but who's got a flywheel....grrrrrr....rules, I hate rules.

Ohhh, and does ANYONE have an IHRA rule book? I need a few pages scanned and sent if possible :)

thanks
Most of the rules are for your own protection...;) ....but it's still a pain in the ass....:mad:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand this, that's why I'm trying to comply. But finding all the parts is near impossible (Shelf items that is). Custom things can be made, but then they still don't comply with SFI certs. and they are 10x more expensive (Tight budget around this time of the year) I'm just wondering what some regualr racers have done in this situation.

8 pt. cage, fire jacket, harness, fire ext, and (another) drive shaft loop are no problem and already on order. It's the stuff most people never think about that's baffling me (Scatter shield, axles, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
most dont enforce those ruless too to much.....maybe next year they might but so far not too bad. If they enforce them all no cars would show up. Scatter shield no one makes....have to have custom made.......almost everything to be 100% legal has to be custom made....major PIA I tell you this...if they do start enforcing all rules there will be no supras in any of the street categories racing...........only ones that will be there will be stock twinned ones and even some of them wont pass.....definitely no singles. i would not worry too much about some of the more technical stuff until they actually say something over and over.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately they did start enforcing the rules at the end of the season here at NED. Scatter shields were a must for anyone with aftermarket clutches running quick times, or they booted you. Leon (Green 10 second DSM) has EVERY LAST piece of safety equipment except for a scatter shield, and they did not award him his 1st place trophy in the last import wars because he did not have a shield....PURE BS if you ask me.

So, I'll have to custom make one out of some heavy gauge shit to satisfy the dick (Hi Joe if your reading this:))that runs NED.

So looks like do what I can, and hope for the best :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
damn he had already won the event and they still didnt award him the 1st palce trophy?
thats some horse shit!!
it just seems to me that it would be a pain in the ass to install one of these around the tranny and bell housing area, although is safe and shit

:devil:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a PITA, and they want it to surround 360 degrees of bellhousing/engine seam.

In all fairness they did warn him about making another sub 11.5 second run without the shield, but come on now. He had an ACT clutch/PP/Flywheel that were all SFI approved, etc. Because of an F'ing shield??? I can just imagine next year when he opens the book and starts asking me where all the "other" safety equipment is!!!!

Ahh well, rules are rules. Make it and put it on I guess, then see what Hitler says about it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Well, you could just start pointing out the lack of equipment on the other cars - including winners. Chances are good most won't have it and pretty soon turnout will drop... The safety equipment for us simply doesn't exist it seems. I'll do a driveshaft hoop, my clutch\flywheel is SFI (pretty sure), I have a bar including pinup dual sidebars and welded rocker bars, I'm willing to do belts, and a jacket is no big deal IMO. However if the local track wants to see some of this other stuff I'll go elsewhere. I understand the need for safety and I've done more than others but at some point I refuse to turn my street car into a drag car - I'm not competing with anyone but myself. I'll likely never try to go lower than mid 10s, possibly low 10s. 9s would be nice but that's too fast for my equipment IMO. Hrm, stronger wheel studs would be nice I'll admit and the rubber coupler in the driveshaft area makes me VERY nervous!

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Our tech inspector understands that some things aren't made for our car such as the scatter shield. In this case he will allow a trans blanket instead. Talk to your tech guy and see if he will allow similar (altho not quite technically legal) safety equipment.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Is a ballistic shield from an automatic gooing to do anything useful if a flywheel grenades?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
re

Went through this past season. Drove all the way up to Englishtown for the first NHRA event of the season. Didn't pass tech due to the scatter shield. WTF??? Needless to say I was very pissed. The Tech inspectors for the NHRA events are very strict and are not stupid when it comes to supras. I had Paul make me a custom 360 degree shield. I installed it for the next few Nhra events and then removed it. Pain in the ass.. and not worth the aggrevation. It amazes me Ryan Woon was allowed to run his multiple 9 sec passes during the nhra finals at Pamona. With the same tech inspectors... :rolleyes: Tony makes a good point... pretty soon there will be zero fuckin' supra in these street classes. First it was drag radials.. then a scatter shield. What is next?? Axles?? are they going to pull the inspection ports on the tranny to make sure the clutch is SFI approved?? Christ, I have the jacket/ 5 point/ harness.. when is it enough?? and when is it crossing the line with your street car?? YOu wonder why people go out and street race...
:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
I stopped going to track this past year due to asshole techs. Seems like they don't like Supras:( In any case I will be returning this coming year to get my 10sec pass. I don't have shit worth of safety equipment so I won't have many chances to do so. I refuse to turn my street car into some drag strip car... I guess I'll just have to enjoy driving my street car on the street:eek: I'll leave the trailor bullshit to them:D

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
M Miller said:
pm or email me if interested in the scatter shield... it's forsale.

Matt
It will be for sale soon.... we're going to get started on it and it should be ready to go for the 04 drag season:)

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
I wasn't aware that approved axles were required for IRS cars. What do Vettes use?

W

·
0 Posts
FYRARMS said:
I wasn't aware that approved axles were required for IRS cars. What do Vettes use?
very good point... i do agree... alot of techs that ive delt with seem do me muscle car heads and hate any imports.. so they will do anything to dq you drom competition... i know lats year i had trouble getting passed with my 13 sec mkiii.. i have a feeling its gonna be a big PITA when its runnin 10's next year... i guess i will be buyin more shit.. :eek:opens jegs catalog:.....

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't aware that approved axles were required for IRS cars.
I'm not sure now that you bring that up. Should have the complete book in a few days. Hopefully it states something about IRS cars.

The regular techs at NED are cool as shit, but there's always "That guy." Guess I'm just gonna have to tell them I run 11.5 or slower, and see what they say when I go faster.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Alex you want to be careful doing that or they will tell you to leave until the car meets the rules and if you try it again theres a good chance they'll toss you for life. I'll see if I can find any rule abiding parts on the internet.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As it stands I'm banned until I meet the qualifications for 10's. So they know me, my car and it's capabilities. I doubt there's much chance of me "sneaking" my way in. :)

I've just about looked everywhere for the parts I need. I have lined up most of it, the rest will either have to be custom fabricated, or not installed at all. At that point the officials can Kiss my ass if they make me install those magic non-existing parts. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts