Supra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
TTT..

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to bring it back up instead of posting a new one.

I also was given shit this past weekend at my track for a lot of the same reasons that were stated here.

SFI rated clutch/flywheel, Harmonic balancer, Shield to go over the clutch that’s 1/4 inch thick.

How do we know if our clutch is SFI rated? I suppose I can just say it is, since I doubt they drop the tranny to check.

Is the stock flywheel SFI rated? What about the HPF clutch's?

These rules, even though they are here for our protection SOME (like the ones im getting crap for now) seem STUPID.

Brett

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
I am 8.50 legal and have everything approved and certified. NHRA is going to be VERY strict on the rules, especially with the scatter shield.

WOTM now offers an NHRA approved scatter shield and loop. The scatter shield is a two piece that bolts together to make it easy to get on and off. The entire thing is form fit to the bell housing of the trans and takes a million hours to build. It's FAR nicer than any other shield that would be a basic octagon or something of the sort. I'll have pics and pricing available soon.

If anyone has questions e-mail me at [email protected] or post in my forum.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Keep me posted on that scatter shield, thats the main thing keeping me from racing, the others I can get resolved.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sorry not to go off topic here but what about us TH400 guys?

Anyone know of anyone sending a toyota flexplate to SFI to get Certified?

Also using the stock Toyota bellhousing and not an Ultrabell could set off some alarms, anyone ran into this yet?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Good question Rich...after the tranny scatter shield, I'm a bit lost as well. In theory a SFI flexplate and SFI flexplate shield is req'd.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Being safe is great, but I think the rules in some cases are hypocritical crap. Look at what the requirements are to run a motorcycle into the 10's and 9's at tracks. These guys freaking wear leathers and a helmet and if they go down, they are utter toast. Where's the fairness in that? The answer is: there would be no freaking bikes running if an objective level of safety was enforced at tracks. There's no way you can explain away that a driver with a helmet and jacket in a supra with a 6 point roll bar running 10's is way more safer than a biker running the same times. Maybe the NHRA doesn't have rules for bikers, but the tracks apply the NHRA rules to cars and let bikers run with absolutely no comparison in safety requirements.

·
Registered
133 Posts
all them rules are crazy. in england lots of skylines run low 10`s and only have to have a helmet at the track. no roll cages tranny blankets or anything.

at my local track they have a quick check over your car to make sure its in safe running order, check no oils leaking and all wheel nuts are tight and non missing, all nos connections tight and secure. check front brake. other tracks i been to you just bring your helmet and driving licence and you away.

we have had our first supra in the 9`s a few days ago at santapod in england. i can see why they have all the rules as low 10 and 9 second cars are crazy fast. would be safer with a roll cage.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
If someone can give me measurements, I have access to make scatter shields. They wont be show stoppers, but they will work. We used to make them in house when I built race cars...

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
Here are some pics of the WOTM Scatter shield on the car. It is FORM FIT to the transmission from top to bottom and squeezes on so it cannot move and it cannot rattle at all. We went above and beyond the NHRA rules when we built this scatter shield. We basically doubled what's necessary and stepped the shield in two parts to cover over 3.5in of the bell housing on the top half. It is a complete 100% bolt on unit in two pieces. The top half bolts to the bottom half with two bolts on each side as seen in the pics. It can be taken on and off with the trans in the car.

Pricing and availability will be soon. It takes a lot of time to produce these units but they are worth the time and every penny.

NHRA events, NDRA and other sanctioned events are VERY tough on the rules now. Every track is going to ask for a scatter shield so for all you 6spd racers this is an absolute must!

The third and fourth pics show how the shield is stepped on top and actually has two shields to cover even more of the bell housing

21 - 30 of 30 Posts