Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is non Supra related but felt like I shouldn't post this in the Off topic forum b/c it's directed to Houston specifically; however, mods if you feel like this should be moved, go ahead. No problem

So my question is what do you like and dislike about the Houston metro area? Right now I'm living in one of the most expensive states in the country, Connecticut. I have always lived in the Northeast and frankly I am getting tired of it. Cost of living, the mentality of the NE people, snow, cold, etc. I've been thinking about asking for a transfer to my company's Houston office b/c I love the south, the warm weather all the time altho it's f***ing humid, nice houses for a fraction of the cost, etc. I read articles about how Houston's real estate is undervalued, how beautiful the city is, 4th largest city in the country I believe, could buy a ridiculous house on my salary compared to some shack here, no state income tax in Texas I think. Since all i hear are positives, what don't you like about the city. Traffic? High insurance b/c of tornadoes or hurricanes? I'm going to try to take a trip this summer down to visit it and to see if it's for me

Anways, enough for the long ass question. Anyone who responds I appreciate it very much. Again, if you want to move it to off-topic, no problem.

Ryan

·
Registered
48 Posts
The summers get very hot and humid and the mosquitos are a pest. Traffic isn't THAT bad..but there's alot of construction going on to fix roads and stuff. Come take a look for yourself.

·
Boostless
72 Posts
baodownbia said:
The summers get very hot and humid and the mosquitos are a pest. Traffic isn't THAT bad..but there's alot of construction going on to fix roads and stuff. Come take a look for yourself.
Houston is great man. Hes right, the construction is whats causing all the traffic. The heat and the humidity are the worst things. The bugs bite, but where dont they bite? Come check it out, enjoy yourself.

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
97 Widebody said:
Real Estates cheap, Summer's are terrible though. Get a house with a pool!

:lol: I remember when I came to your house in hot day and you were swimming.

·
GO FASTER, GO FASTER
178 Posts
Houston is nice but just like any place there are some fall backs. I have family down there and visit quite a bit I live in Fort Worth right know and i'm thinking about moving down to houston once I finish school. when you get down here you should buy a boat if you don't already own one. that way on these hot days you'll have something fun to do.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did some quick looking on the chronicle's website for homes since i had nothing else to do lst nite and the type of house i could afford is not even comparable to the shack i can get up here in the northeast. all i need is the house, a s2000 for a daily, and my supra and life would be good. the humidity will suck but as long as it's air conditioned where i work, i could care less. im tryin to see if i can squeeze a visit in the next few months to see how i like it. the only issue im thinkin i will have is that i will leave everyone i know in the northeast. that may be hard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anywhere you work would be airconditioned, we love our AC down here...I mean with out it we would litterally die. haha. But yeah, cost of living is super cheap here. I barely make 50k a year and Im better off then people making 100k in some parts of the country. Living is cheap, land is cheap, people are friendlier, and better looking, sorry but its true. Houston is also considered one of the fattest cities, but i mean you win some you lose some. Girls have a tendency to get prettier the further south you go :) I would consider that a perk.

As for the traffic, yeah its pretty bad at times. especially when they close down certain highways to repair shit, but when its done it will be nice.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
myth, i make just a bit under 50k right now too and i can come down tomorrow and buy a house that will blow my friends minds away. meanwhile, i just went and looked at 5 condos that were 10% as nice for the same price. im just so turned off by it now it's disgusting. i guess traffic is traffic. eventually it will be finished but then again its a big US city. you're absolutely right about friendlier people and better looking. everytime i go anywhere in the south i just have a great time. no issues with a-holes. girls up here are beautiful and all and had my fair share but they're all materialistic, money-hungry golddiggers. at least the majority are. i def gotta come down in a month or two and see if i would like it down there. always good to know theres a large Houston crew of supras

·
Registered
123 Posts
i'd say houston was the place to be up until a yr ago. alot of people agree that it has dramatically gotten more 'ghetto' all across town. =|

·
Registered
54 Posts
no comparison real estate-wise for ya. Houston can be what you want it to be. Places where younger crowds tend to live and play, and there are plenty of the 'burbs for you to get that cheap house (no cheap places neare the center of the city, thats for sure. Well, maybe "cheap" by NE standards) I personally can't wait to move back to Austin, been here in H-town for 4 years. Traffic can be a nightmare, but I guess that's any big city. And the town is so damn spread out, can literally take you an hour to get somewhere "in-town," even without traffic. But there is plenty to do and see, and yes it gets balls hot here and humid as hell with mosquitos that will take your head off, but at least we don't have snow (thank GOD, I HATE snow and ice)

/end directionless post

·
Registered
54 Posts
Troyota said:
^NOLAS :) or so I've heard.
Call me whatever you want, but there is some serious truth to this statement.... no racism, just facts.... even our black police chief admits it on TV

·
Pick it up 141!
179 Posts
To bad you can't transfer your Job to the Dallas area..... The Dallas Metroplex area is much cleaner & smells better than the Houston area. I moved to Texas from Chicago 8 years ago and the folks down here in Texas are awesome......the Texas ladies are probably the most gorgeous girls out of the other 49 states!!hahaha But True!!

You will diffidently love Texas better than the Eastcost, Even if you live in Houston!

Alot of Supras in Texas to hang out with!

·
I Love What You Do For Me
82 Posts
RedDragon said:
Call me whatever you want, but there is some serious truth to this statement.... no racism, just facts.... even our black police chief admits it on TV
It wasn't meant to be racist. I've just heard that since the people from New Orleans (NOLA, NOLAS) have gotten to Houston, the crime rate has surged. I've even heard personal stories from people in and around Houston who have been victimized by NOLAS. It's hard to ignore the facts. Race not even being an issue.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Troyota, that's a shame. I've read many articles and its been televised the poor events that have occurred since Katrina

As for Dallas, I'm not strapped just to Houston. My job allows me to transfer wherever I want to as long as there is a need. I have family in Grand Prairie, about 15 min from Dallas and that's a nice area as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Troyota said:
It wasn't meant to be racist. I've just heard that since the people from New Orleans (NOLA, NOLAS) have gotten to Houston, the crime rate has surged. I've even heard personal stories from people in and around Houston who have been victimized by NOLAS. It's hard to ignore the facts. Race not even being an issue.

I know it wasn't racist, that's why I said something. You are correct.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts