Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you guys have any problems fitting this thing? i can't get it to work. It doesn't clear the P/S resivour so I can't get it to sit in front of the turbo straight enought to clamp it. Anyone have a problem with this thing? Also assuming I could get it on straight (if the P/S resv wasn't there) It would be pointing toward the fan shroud which is no good.

PICS*

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hmm that's interesting. I picked one up, but haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Mo

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do you have the pip backwards?

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive tried it both ways. even if i get it to work its not right. Maybe an oversize rubber piece that i can sleeve over it and clamp it. not sure

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
I had one but sold it because it wouldnt fit. It was an even tighter fit than yours because im using a sp61gt and the turbo sits a little closer to where is p/s reservoir is. Believe it or not the guy who bought mine is using a sp61gt too(maybe he can chime in) and he actually got it to fit. so it should fit on yours. I think there are a few people that have pipe on the boards and theirs fit, you just gota play with it. If that doesnt work there is a simple solution. just cut off a little of the pipe on the turbo side(the pipe should cut very easily with a hacksaw), you should then have enough clearance between the p/s res. hope that helps. YOu could relocate the p/s reservoir too if you wanted, and that would also solve the problem. I really think that moving the p/s res. really cleans up the engine bay alot anyway...

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks njsupramk3t i might try cutting a bit off. Its pretty close but it just doesn't fit the way it is. I contacted him and he said he'd make me another. this was about a week and a half ago and he hasn't really answered my emails. Its probably not gonna happen. Im going to try what you said maybe tonight.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Well it is hand made so there is a margin of error. Same thing basically as my manifold, mine didnt clear the oil filter mount, but a few other people's did. Unless parts are done via CNC there will always be some kind of percentage of error. It should not be to hard to modify it to fit, good luck.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
you could relocate the power steering resivor to the front of the car.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mattsmall said:
you could relocate the power steering resivor to the front of the car.
well......we'll see this summer how brave im feeling. What sucks is my mkiii is a daily driver right now so i can't afford to start something and having it down then i can't get to work.

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Mine did not celar the pS res either. I had to trim some metal off of the pipe. However, I had to modify mine quite extensively beyond that to fit my mk2. My afm is in another spot than on the mk3, so I ende up having to angle it in and actually mount the pipe over the turbo snout a bit. I still havent mounted it as I'm still tinkering with it. On a mk3, though, it will just require a little trimming. You may have to trim the afm side at a slight angle to get a nice fit.

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
It almost looks like you could lop off like an inch or two at the end of the pipe. I think that would give you the clearance that you need. Or, If you don't want to do that, get yourself an NA power steering resevoir and re-locate it.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great guys im going to trim it carefully. ill post pics when im done. maybe on the weekend its a little cold today. im a pussy when it comes to cold weather

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
for the hell of it heres a comparison pic. Also the rubber accordian doesn't keep that shape when its mounted. Racetek should have taken a bit more time on the design

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
When I made a proto for this a long time ago, the metal pipe would have to be really short, since you are then adding couplers to mate to the turbo and afm. The final product was super short, just a bitty S pipe.

·
Registered
945 Posts
save $ and make your own

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
Yea, i dunno what the deal with this guy, he rarely answers my e-mails as well. I ordered mine several weeks ago with no pipe. He said he sent it out, and would get me the tracking number on monday, but haven't recieved it yet.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
hmm i recently purchased one from a forum member who made it himself...the pipe i got was shorter then the racetek...i also got a better deal then racetek...so looks like racetek is good quality though...

G

·
I'm sorry, I've been out of the forums for a while but why would anyone want to replace a perfectly working accordian hose? And the reason behind it being plastic is that it can expand with heat-- which I am not certain how your metal replacements will do. (I suppose it doesn't really need to expand). Thoughts?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Sharif said:
I'm sorry, I've been out of the forums for a while but why would anyone want to replace a perfectly working accordian hose? And the reason behind it being plastic is that it can expand with heat-- which I am not certain how your metal replacements will do. (I suppose it doesn't really need to expand). Thoughts?
The couplers would expand, etc. There's also not even much heat before the turbo anyways.

People replace them because the stock one cracks all the time, and because they want it to look nicers.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts