Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im gettin ready to start putting in the SP fuel system and had a few questions. i called a few weeks back when i received the kit and talked to tom? i think about the wiring but i need to double check what goes where before i start. heres what i have wrote -down

-purple wires on relay- power at battery

-blue and green wires on relay- red pump power wire

-red/black stripe and red wires on relay- blue/red stripe wire on the harrness that runs through a grommet that is in the upper left hand corner around where the fuel pump bracket goes.

-black and black/red stripe wires on relay- white/black wire on the harness that goes on the top of the fuel pump bracket.

the last wire is the only one im not sure about, i cant remember if it was that harness or not.

Also, how should i route the power lines from the relay to the battery? just run them the same way the stock fuel line goes, under the plastic guard? and last, when i hook up the fuse, do i cut the wire loop and connect one end to the battery, then the other end to the power wire coming from the relay?

Thanx

EDIT: oh yeah, also, can i hook up the power/ground wires for one of the walbro pumps into the stock plug in the tank then cut the stock wire when its on the other side of the plug(out of the tank) and then use the supplied wire? or do i need to run 4 separte lines out of the tank?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Andy, I just installed my PHR kit so I cant help you with the colored wiring you have for the relay.
As far as the routing I've seen it routed through the car as well as along the same path as the fuel line under the car. I ran mine inside a protect sleeve along with the fuel line under the car. When you get to the tank area you will see some wires going up through the floor into the spare tire area. I ran my power wire through that rubber grommet and added a little sealant. The -6 fuel line really doesn't fit under the stock plastic fuel line guard. Besides, it will chafe the existing lines under there anyway. I ran my fuel line and power wire up against the inside of that plastic guard. To do that I first removed the guard and installed several small rubber coated clamps around the stock innermost hard line. Then I took some larger rubber coated clamps and put them around the fuel line/protected wire combo. Next I used a bolt and self locking nut to attach the 2 clamps togather. (It should look kind of like a figure 8) Do this several times then reinstall the plastic fuel line guard. The guard will press up against the area where the 2 clamps are bolted togather and prevent your new fuel line from sagging.

I don't quite understand your question about hooking up the fuse and cutting a loop? For mine I bought a 30 amp in line fuse that has the fuse along with a 6" length of wire coming out of each end. On one end I crimped a terminal to attach to the battery + terminal, the other end is spliced to the power wire going back to the fuel pump relay.
Connecting the pump wiring is done a variety of ways also. You can splice the 2 red pump wires togather inside the tank, with 1 larger red wire coming out of that splice to pass up out of the tank through a new hole in the pump bracket. Then do the same for the black wires.
Some attach 1 pump to the stock pump wiring and pass the wires for the second pump up through a new hole in pump bracket.
One other method does not require drilling any holes through the top of the fuel pump bracket. Cut the 2 factory pump wires and splice 1 red pump wire to each. After those wires pass out of the tank you will need to cut them and splice togather with the larger wire that you will route over to the relay. Next you have to provide a ground. Do that by drilling a hole just above the pumps. Attach terminal ends to each black wire and bolt them to the new hole above the pumps. On the top side of the fuel pump bracket you will need to drill a hole (you can use the small tab that comes up to prevent the stock fuel line from rotating when it is tightened) Make a ground jumper that will attach to that point and to a good chassis ground. There is a good factory ground at the aft end of the spare tire compartment or just make your own. Be sure to remove paint around your ground holes to ensure a good ground. Be careful removing the large plastic ring that holds the fuel pump bracket in place. Mine was very tight and hard to remove. The little plastic splines break off fairly easily so I made my own removal/installer tool similar to the one Toyota uses. You turn it with a 3/8" ratchet and works much better than a hammer and screwdriver.
Good luck with the install!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I don't know if this will be much help, but I cut the two power wires on the out side of the tank and used them to turn the relay on and off. Then running new heavier gauge power wires to supply the pumps. Inside the tank I did a Y connection with the two pumps. To get the power out, I actually dissasembled the connector and soldered heavier gauge wire to the pins on each side of the connector. Two walbros pull about the same current as one mkiv pump, but with the heavier wire I used, the wires or connector itself does not get warm. Some people with dual mkiv pumps using stock wiring, have had things gets hot and start to melt.

I'd run the wires inside but it's more difficult. I came up under the sub, drilled a hole and put a grommet in. As long as you put wire loom and secured the wire correctly you could run it under. For the fuse, not more than 18 inches from the battery and you cut the loop. Connect one end to the battery and the other to your power wire that leads to the relay to supply the pumps.

There is a write up on my site on how I put my fuel sys in. I can't comment on the relay you got. Some relays have a diagram on them. The relay is simply a switch. When you pass current through it, the switch will turn on allowing power to flow through the other set of terminals to power something. If the relay is marked with the numbers on the pins I can probably decipher it. They are like, 87, 86, 30, etc.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks alot for the responses....i called up SP and talked to them and they told me not to run the power and ground for one of the pumps through the stock harness. they told me to drill a 1/2in hole in the top of the bracket then they inculde a liltte gromet, use that and run the wires out of the top then use some gas tank sealer stuff and pack it in really tight to get a good seal.

The wire i was looking for is the white/black wire that is in the harness thats in the driverside corner of where the spare tire sits. its the same harness that the blue/red wire is also.

as for the routing of the power wires from the pumps to the battery they said they run them through the inside so i guess ill be going that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts