Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would I be better off moving my rears to the front and having my fronts widened? If so how wide can I go before I have to roll my fenders? I know if I want 315's I would need to roll the lips. What if I only go to an 11 inch rear wheel and like 295 or so tires?

Jeff

·
Registered
482 Posts
Jeff since thats exactly what i'm doing so let me answer your question. Jim Swantko had just put 18"x11" SSR Decolte's on his car with 49mm offset and he said that it only rubbed occassionally on hard driving. I then spoke to Steve and we decided that it's better to cut the fender lip to about 1/8" or a little bit more to get 100% clearence ;) BTW Jim ended up cutting his fender lips as well and after that 295/30 on an 18x11" isn't a problem any more.However to fit 315 you would still need to either roll or completely cut the fender lip :(
Later, Yasir Waiting on his 18x11" kinesis

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am talking about doing this with the stock 17 inch wheels.
Thanks anyways Yasir. I believe I will have more clearance with the 17 inch wheels.

Jeff

·
Registered
482 Posts
463supra said:
I am talking about doing this with the stock 17 inch wheels.
Thanks anyways Yasir. I believe I will have more clearance with the 17 inch wheels.

Jeff
Jeff you didn't mention the stockers so i presumed you were talking about 18" any way i'll let Steve answer that ;)
Later, Yasir

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yasir, this started on another thread. I am wanting or thinking about widening my stock wheels and was thinking about using my rears up front and having my fronts widened to fit 315's or maybe a little smaller I am not sure I want to roll my fenders yet or not.

Jeff

·
3,148 Posts
A 295/30 on an 11" wheel will not fit without cutting/rolling the fender lip. You can run the 295/30 on a 10.5" wheel, but the 11" wheel spreads the sidewall out too much. Using a 17" wheel will not help this. Keep in mind that it takes some serious cornering or a large bump before you will get rubbing. I don't recommend them because I think you should be able to drive your car to it's limit. A wheel and tire setup that doesn't allow this defeats the purpose of larger wheels and tires.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IF I want to keep my stock wheels what do you recommend? How much should I widen them and what size tire would be optimal front and rear? I could run 275-40-17 up front using my stock rears and 295-35-17 in rear? I dont mind rolling the fenders, I dont think. Do you have a picture showing the fenders rolled? Is there any downside to using spacers? I know if I do this I would need them.

Jeff

·
3,148 Posts
463supra,

I don't recommend widening the stock wheels. If you widen the stock front wheel to an 11" wheel, you would have a 17x11" 82mm offset wheel. You will then need to use a spacer to get the offset you need. Lets assume you need a 47mm offset. This would mean that you will need a 35mm (1.38") thick spacer. You could widen a rear wheel and you would only need a 22mm (.88") spacer. This is not something I would want to run on my car not to mention you will probably need longer studs.

Another option would be to buy and Enkei RP01 18x9.5" 45mm offset for the front. This would allow a 265/35R18 front. Then buy an 18x9" 22mm offset wheel for the rear. You will then add 2" to the rear wheel giving you an 18x11" 47mm offset. This will allow you to have the right offset without adding a spacer or needing longer studs. You can get RP01's for about $185ea. ($740) and then you would need to add the cost to widen them. You could probably end up with a whole set for $1,000. This is what one wheel from the other guys (Fikse, Kinessis, Forgeline, HRE) would cost in those sizes.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
281 Posts
Steve,

I'm strongly considering widening some Enkeis. I may be willing to be a guinea pig. With the setup you just described, would I have to cut the fenders front and/or back? Any other handling/fitting concerns?

If I didn't want to modify the fenders, could I just get a 9" wheel (42 offset) in the front and get a wheel widened to 10.5" for the back? If so, what size/offset should I get with how much widening? If you think that isn't worth it, I'll go with your 11" idea.

My biggest concern is that I have NO clue how to find somebody to widen wheels. Any suggestions? Not sure if I want to just open the yellow pages and start bugging every other mechanic in town.

If it matters, I plan on autocrossing a bit this summer. Also, I will be installing Eibachs when I get my new wheels.

Phil

·
3,148 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems with the 18x9.5" 45mm wheels with 265/35R18 in the front. You will need to cut/roll the rear fender lip to fit the 18x11" 47mm wheels with 295/30's on the rear. You will only need about 3/8" of trimming/rolling to get this to work. Adding less width to the rear wheel won't change the clearance issue.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks Steve,

Well, I just spend the last half hour calling every tire/wheel place in Cleveland, and nobody knows how to go about getting a wheel widened. Anybody have any suggestions? I may be willing to just ship them somewhere to have this done.

Phil

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve,
Where do you recommend getting the RPO1's?

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts