Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tim,
I have sent you a PM with a video clip of the sound we discussed, but I'm not sure how regularly you check your Pm's and I don't have your email address. After you suggested it might be an exhaust leak (before seeing the clip), I went over the exhaust manifold, etc. and couldn't find anything. I did remove my wastegate and took it apart just to make sure it wasn't getting stuck open. After I reinstalled it, the car ran fine until yesterday when I took a friend out to let him try and diagnose the problem, as it was still occuring. We were driving and it was boosting nicely and sounding fine and then all of a sudden the sound came back (a little worse than whats in the video). This time, though, I noticed that the car wasn't making any boost (every time the noise came, i don't think it was making boost, but i didn't check until yesterday), so we decided that my wastegate was bad. I have gone ahead and ordered a tial wastegate (today), but I also went ahead and uninstalled my turbo today (as the sound was still here today) and sure enough, there is shaft play. I'm not sure what to consider "major" shaft play as I have neevr seen a turbo in person with it, but some of the fins on the exhaust port of the turbo have chips in them and the housing has some scratching. I don't have your email address, and I know your not in the office today, but seeing that this turbo is only a week old and never boosted over 11 psi, I'd like to discuss all options with you about where to go from here. Feel free to email me: [email protected] or I will call you. I'm not in quite as much of a hurry to get this turbo done as I was two weeks ago when I needed it promptly, but I am having to bum rides now while my car is down so I need to get everything underway this week. Thanks for your time and hopefully we can get this resolved.

-Derek E.

For anyone else reading this: I have made sure that Tim understands I am still pleased with him and everyone else at SP (they got my entire turbo, oil kit, etc. out to me w/ in a weeks time...amazing), and will continue doing business with them. I don't want anyone to respond to this message with bashes against me. This IS NOT a rant, etc. (whatever you want to call it) against SP.

·
DO WORK!!
2,275 Posts
here is the sound clip that I was given http://media.putfile.com/turbo-sound that is a weird sound indeed!

Send me some pics of the Chips that you see on the blades... my email is [email protected]

Normaly when a turbo goes south.... so do the oil seals, you would see a cloud of oil when you boost.

We will be more than happy to take a look at your turbo for you, but you would have to send it to me and I would have to then send it off to repair. Your Turbo is under warrenty and the only thing you have to pay for is the shipping to me.... We will take care of the rest!

Larry, any thoughts on the sound this is making?

[email protected]

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim, thanks for getting back so quick. I wish I could send you a clip of when it was sounding worse, but I have already uninstalled it. One of the reasons for uninstalling it was that I did start seeing blue smoke exiting the car. However, the noise had been occuring days before the smoke came. I will send you pictures in a little while and discuss how to go about returning it, time frames, etc. Thanks.

-Derek

·
Registered
572 Posts
Not a Supra but my GT2540R was making a very similar sound on my 240 just before it went south. Never really found out what exactly went bad on it but god I hate that sound!!!

·
DO WORK!!
2,275 Posts
I did look at the pics you sent me and the turbo needs to be sent in. It looks to me that you might have sucked something into it and chipped one of the blades on the Turbine wheel throwing the whole thing out of balance.

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim, just tried calling but said you wouldn't be in until tomorrow. Anyways, I'm not sure how something could've gotten in as I have a k&n filter on. Ill look over it and see if there are any holes in it. Anyways, I'll call you tomorrow as I want to get this thing shipped out and repaired ASAP. Thanks.

-Derek

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim, just sent the turbo out through FedEx. Should get to you guys on Friday. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts