Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my clutch and flywheel for my R154. However before I took everything apart, there was a whirring noise coming from the clutch/tranny area. It would happen any time the clutch was out (even in neutral). But when I took the tranny out and played with it, I couldn't reproduce the sound from the transmission by spinning the input shaft. So maybe it's the clutch release bearing?

It almost looks like the bearing hub may be worn down where the release bearing sits. But I'm not sure because I don't have a new one to compare with. It is not flush across though. I have a picture here if you don't get what I mean. The old release bearing still spins fine though.

Is the release bearing supposed to fit snuggly on the bearing hub? Or can there be a mm or 2 of play?
 

·
Beats and Rhythm
Joined
·
2,732 Posts



Are you a new supra owner? Just a serious question.

The whirring might just be the regular old flywheel sound we all are acustome to. Its just a normal sound...

if your "release bearing" or throwout bearing is warn it would probably blow all together and not start making a weird sound.....its a sealed unit...so they dont gradually go out....rather they BLOW out....lol

to me it sounds like your ok.....like you said, even in neutral the sound is there..and its not there when you push in the clutch pedel ( or shift/in movement)....so it sounds like the regular flywheel spinning sound....

even the mk4's getrag gearbox has that.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes I am new to the Supra. Hrmm.. Normal you say. I *have* driven a couple other MK3 Supras before and did not notice this sound then. It is quite loud. Louder than the engine. And quite annoying at the very least. It follows the rpm, and goes higher in frequency as the revs go up.

But anyways, I don't want to have to take the tranny out again, so I'm wondering if I should just spend the $60 and buy a new hub or risk it for now, and replace it if something goes really wrong. Like I asked, can there be any play for the bearing on the hub? Is it supposed to fit snug?
 

·
Beats and Rhythm
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
matt_d82 said:
Yes I am new to the Supra. Hrmm.. Normal you say. I *have* driven a couple other MK3 Supras before and did not notice this sound then. It is quite loud. Louder than the engine. And quite annoying at the very least. It follows the rpm, and goes higher in frequency as the revs go up.

But anyways, I don't want to have to take the tranny out again, so I'm wondering if I should just spend the $60 and buy a new hub or risk it for now, and replace it if something goes really wrong. Like I asked, can there be any play for the bearing on the hub? Is it supposed to fit snug?
so the surface ( mating surface b/t the hub and bearing) of the hub is "warn" in some way? sounds very odd.....whats the condition of the clutch frictino disk? is it burned?

how does the flywheel look? Clutch? Is the engaugment/disengaugement harsh or "jarring"?

From the info given, i would just replace the throwout/ hub bearing and the pilot bearing and most importantly ( personal $500 experiance) the snap ring kit for the hub/bearing unit itself......I put on my RPS stage 3 unit and re-used the 18 year old snap rings.......they broke 1 week after use......and cost me $500 bucks at the dealership ( $100 for parts roughly)....I didnt have the time or space to fix it myself so i HAD to use the STEALERSHIP.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
simann said:
so the surface ( mating surface b/t the hub and bearing) of the hub is "warn" in some way? sounds very odd.....whats the condition of the clutch frictino disk? is it burned?

how does the flywheel look? Clutch? Is the engaugment/disengaugement harsh or "jarring"?

From the info given, i would just replace the throwout/ hub bearing and the pilot bearing and most importantly ( personal $500 experiance) the snap ring kit for the hub/bearing unit itself......I put on my RPS stage 3 unit and re-used the 18 year old snap rings.......they broke 1 week after use......and cost me $500 bucks at the dealership ( $100 for parts roughly)....I didnt have the time or space to fix it myself so i HAD to use the STEALERSHIP.....
I'm not sure if the hub *is* worn. But I don't think it looks right. Again, I don't have a new one to compare with.

I don't see any burning on the clutch disc, but it does look uneven in parts. The flywheel looks .... not right either, heh. No burning, but it has "bubbles" of lighter areas. Ok, enough of my crappy descriptions, its time for some pictures.

One picture is of the hub. It's still hard to tell what i'm talking about, but where the brighter shiney area is what I was thinking was the worn area. It is slightly deeper (dipped in) than the outer edges of that area. Also looks likes it has been scraping around there making it shiney. The other picture is the FW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to stop at a store right by Toyota today, so I figured I might as well take the part to Toyota and see if they can help me. They said it's worn out as I had described. So I ordered a new one along with all the rings. Not sure if they were just saying that so that I would buy a new one or what. But I'll replace it anyway.
 

·
Beats and Rhythm
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
matt_d82 said:
I had to stop at a store right by Toyota today, so I figured I might as well take the part to Toyota and see if they can help me. They said it's worn out as I had described. So I ordered a new one along with all the rings. Not sure if they were just saying that so that I would buy a new one or what. But I'll replace it anyway.

Well look at it this way. You have a 18+ year old car. Its simple maintenence on your part. Although its nagging and just so simple.....it must be taken care of.

Its always the little things that cost alot :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,727 Posts
i had to replace the bearing release hub. it was worn where the snap ring snaped between. the snap ring just came off. that one looked good to me though.
the bearing release hub cost $48, the 2 rings were like $4 for both and the snap ring was like $15.
might wanna check your rear main seal to see if its leaking as well. less problems down the road.
 

·
Beats and Rhythm
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
GREAT POINT!

REAR MAIN SEAL....buy one and replace your old one! Its bound to give out soon!

and remember, put some black RTV silicone sealant on the rear main/front main ( or any seal ring of that matter)...rather than just pressing it in dry...i did that mistake and my rear main is leaking.....just a little though but enought to bug the heck out of me....

So just lightly dab the seal in sealant and press it in and let it dry for the noted time on the bottle around 4 hours i think...then your good to go :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, did the rear main seal already. Although I just put grease around the seal, not sealant. Hope that works good enough.
 

·
Beats and Rhythm
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
matt_d82 said:
Yup, did the rear main seal already. Although I just put grease around the seal, not sealant. Hope that works good enough.

Grease? LOL dude...you supposed to use a SILICONE sealant that will HARDEN...

I mean, the grease will repell the oil to an extent...when the inside block pressure increases ( due to heat ) that grease might become hot as well and thin out and just run like water and open up the "seal"...

I would go back under there and re do it man....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:dunno: The TSRM and Haynes manual both said to lube it with MP grease.. not sealant. So I don't think i'll pull it back out just for that.
 

·
Beats and Rhythm
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
:scratches head: I have never heard or read that. Shoot me a link to the TRSM where it says that! Seriously!

I didnt know you supposed to you use the MP grease on those....seems like it would thin up like i earlier stated. :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haynes describes it as "coat the outer diameter of the seal with multi-purpose grease". Although it does say to put RTV sealant on the retainer gasket, if it is removed (which I did).
 

·
slowly giving up...
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
was your tranny full of gear oil? the rear seal on my w58 crapped itself, leaking all my gear oil to the underside of my car (not a single drip on the ground, otherwise i'd have known something was up) when i got to college, (15miles from my house), there was a noise coming from the tranny in neutral, with the clutch out. with the clutch in, the noise disappeared.

it turns out it was because there was NO gear oil. on my way home, needless to say, i fried that tranny:( but that was definately my problem.

-shaeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shaeff, I did drain the tranny oil before pulling the engine and there was a fair amount there. I probably should've measured it... I might have been just low. It definately wasn't dry though.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top