Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed the greddy a/f meter, and the o2 sensor it comes with. To my knowlege it is broken in, because I made a few hard runs through 4th. The needle seems to not show anything of value(jumps around a bit).15.0 at idle, or 8.0 at WOT(just had my car tuned to 12.0 with a wideband)
Nothing in between:mad:. Is there a setting I must change on the control box with the select switch? I have not touched it yet.

Thanks for any advice.

Nick

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
When I talked to greddy about this gauge they told me it has to be calibrated on a dyno. It does not come preset. You should also make sure you have all the settings correct. I don't have the book right in front of me, but I remember there being a certain setting that told it where the o2 sensor was located in the downpipe and if it was a turbo charged engine or not. I hope that helps. I would reccomend calling greddy yourself on Monday. If you get ahold of the right person they can tell you a lot.

Daniel

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx man, I will call them. I tried every setting.....same thing.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I have that gauge in my car - installed by previous owner. You are not gonna want to hear this - you are better off putting a compass in place of the gauge! That gauge appears to be a $287 Greddy hoax!

I called them & he told me it needed calibrated - yeah right! That would mean it reads 11.7 to 1 or something - instead of 11.9 to 1 after calibration. Instead it jumps all over the place under WOT. He also admitted that the buttons do nothing!

Even if calibration somehow magically gets the gauge to appear to work normally, do you think I am going to trust my engine with it?? I use a voltmeter to monitor A/F ratios & watch the Greddy gauge blink on and off until I remove it..............

Good luck with it....
Al

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, sorry to let you know, but it is common knowledge that all A/F monitors do jack didly. I HIGHLY suggest getting an FJO Wideband. You can tune your car off the dyno and there's no better A/F monitor around.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yeah, mine does the same thing. It came with the car and I thought somehting was wrong. It jumps all over at idle and then goes fully rich at WOT. The thing is a completely worthless measuring device.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
:) :) :) :)

Steve - world largest FJO wideband dealer

MaxPrime said:
Ya, sorry to let you know, but it is common knowledge that all A/F monitors do jack didly. I HIGHLY suggest getting an FJO Wideband. You can tune your car off the dyno and there's no better A/F monitor around.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
In the product literature GReddy cautions strongly and repeatedly against using the unit for tuning purposes. I know, because I too made the mistake of buying a GReddy gauge before I learned how unreliable they are. :)

Steve

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There seems to be a few people tho, that really like it, I mainly wanted it for warning purposes.....

Nick

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Well, the manufacturer says it's not accurate. I and others who have used them in conjunction with widebands say they are not accurate. It's not a wideband, so it is inherently not accurate. I'd say that's a lot of warning right there. ;)

But hey, I have one with about 3K miles of ONLY unleaded fuel use on it that I want to sell, so if you're still interested, let me know.

Steve

Alpine97'TT6Spd said:
There seems to be a few people tho, that really like it, I mainly wanted it for warning purposes.....

Nick

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, I have it already....IN THE CAR!!!
But thanks anyway, and thanks for all the helpful replies.

Nick

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boost Junkie said:

But hey, I have one with about 3K miles of ONLY unleaded fuel use on it that I want to sell, so if you're still interested, let me know.

I'll trade you the autometer blinky light A/F gauge I have... it's equally as useless but the ricers find the blinking lights much more impressive :D

Rob_O

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LoL Rob_O :D

I had that one, but I hate it. Btw, I am getting better readings on the greddy now, it is almost showing the EXACT a/f according to dyno wideband.:eek:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IT WORKS!!!! :D :D :D
I played with the settings on the control box, and it shows exact a/f according to dyno now, its like .1 off:)

Nick

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
How did you adjust to read the same?

In what gear and RPM did you do the adjustment at.

Did you hold it steady so that both reading were the same?

The 98 is going on the dyno tomorrow,and I'd like to get the Greddy a/f gauge insynce with the wide band.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4th gear, and really the only time its important is WOT, at idle it will jump a little, but yes, the select switch on the control box is set to 13 on the guage i think, which theoretically is the wrong setting (non-turbo), but it works.
make sure you break it in too!!!

happy boosting.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
FWIW, that's the setting on which mine seemed to work best on too. Mine usually seemed to read about a .7 to 1 point lower than actual when I punched it on the street, but that varied a little according to the circumstances. IMO, the main trouble with those gauges is that you can't really know if it's working accurately or not because EGTs will affect the output. In the end, it probably raised more questions than it answered. I'd probably rather have a GReddy A/F gauge than no A/F gauge at all, but if one hasn't already spent the money on the GReddy gauge, I contend that he'd be far better off to put that money toward a true wideband.

Steve

Alpine97'TT6Spd said:
4th gear, and really the only time its important is WOT, at idle it will jump a little, but yes, the select switch on the control box is set to 13 on the guage i think, which theoretically is the wrong setting (non-turbo), but it works.
make sure you break it in too!!!

happy boosting.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
true, i agree, but i also found out someone has tried to put some heat shielding around the dp where the sensor sits in an effort to keep it hot, he said it works good. mine really is only a little off, not much at all, and the temps really seem to do little to affect it. Put it right at the flange under the turbo, and you should be fine...

You can also calibrate it to get rid of the .7 to 1 point difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts