Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi is revving up to launch a smaller sibling for its R8 super car, which could be badged the R4.

If it makes production the mid-engined R4 will rival sports cars such as the Porsche Boxster.

topCar magazine reports that the entry-level R4 will get the VW/Audi group's 2-litre turbo FSI engine. However, power will be increased to 201 kW. (272hp)

The RS model will have a 2.5-litre in-line five turbocharged to produce 260 kW. (352hp)

Audi is developing a brand new platform for the R4 while the transmission, steering and brakes will come from the existing parts bin.

According to topCar the R4 would not use lightweight aluminum like the R8 and TT. Audi will use a high-strength steel spaceframe for the chassis, with hang-on body panels made of plastic and aluminum.

Apparently kerb weight could be between 1,100(2420lbs) and 1,250 kg(2750lbs)

Production for the R4 is expected to kick off at the end of 2009.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Apparently kerb weight could be between 1,100(2420lbs) and 1,250 kg(2750lbs)
I'll believe it when I see it but it sounds nice, esp. when paired with 350+ turbocharged hp!

·
Ready. Set. Gone.
4,832 Posts
I suppose the R8 w/ the gallardo V10 will be released by this time...if not, this thing will give the R8 a run for its money, performance wise.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
If it actually looks like that, it'll be a huge hit. It's a very smooth little sports car, with hints of the Gallardo in the rear fenders and the roofline actually reminds me of the new Camaro. The fact that it'll have the 2.0FSI and possibly a 2.5 mean it'll have tremendous potential from the aftermarket. This will be awesome in a RWD or AWD (with rear bias) sports car.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Their 5-cyl. may also be able to share development path with the ever largening V10 lineup whereas the 6-cyl. have plenty of volume to offset develop. costs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts