Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's, I'm getting my info together for performing a 2JZ swap into a Mk3 (not mine, a different one . . .), and I have a couple of questions.

1) The 2JZ is from an auto, with auto ECU and we wish to use an R154 behind it, I am cool with the mechanicals but I am unsure whether the auto ECU will cause major problems if we are using a manual box. Anyone have any experience of whether this setup can be made to work, and what needs to be done to prevent the auto ECU from realising the auto box has gone nmissing and throwing a wobbly?

2) Am I correct in assuming that a 2JZ with 1JZ bellhousing and R154 will work OK with the stock driveshaft?

3) Aircon - use the 2JZ compressor and hook it up to the standard MA70 gear?

I have read through all the stickied threads in this section, some excellent info there. Hopefully I will be able to find most of what I need from the archives and not bug you guys too much ;)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
All of my research on the same topic seems to indicate that it will be fine with a manual trans and the stock auto tranny ECU as long as the neutral switch is properly fooled. I went so far as to find two different Aristos in Japan that both were using V161 6-spd boxes from a Supra, with the stock ECU. One was on an Fcon V-pro setup run as a piggyback on the stock ECU, the other was just on stock twin turbos with the stock ECU.

2) Yes, for the clutch you'll use the 1JZ-GTE JZA70 bellhousing and flywheel, with a 7M clutch. As long as you used 1JZ-GTE engine brackets and mounts and have the proper crossmember the stock driveshaft will be the right lenght. If you are making custom mounts or sit the engine too far back or forward you'll need to have the shaft appropriately modified of course.

3) that's the standard procedure for a 1JZ-GTE swap into a 7M car here, but I'm unsure if the 2JZ-GTE a/c compressor is the same as the 1JZ.
why do you need a/c? When I was in England I never saw the sun ;) :biggrin:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had a sunny day yesterday, there might be another one along in a bit . . . :D

Thanks for that, I found the part numbers of the engine mounts and brackets in a thread on here, I'll get Jeff to send them out along with the bellhousing. If the ECU business is as simple as bridging out a switch then it's no problem, I can probably track down a manual ECU if the need arises but it all adds to the costs so hoping to avoid it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts