Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this question was probably asked before so please don't shoot me down. I just want to know if there are any shops out there that can do a 7m to 2jz swap correctly. I understand there will be many "custom mods" involved and might end up being costly. This is my third 7M-GTE and I am sick of blowing up head gaskets. I would like to end up with a setup of 6speed/2JZ-GTE. The vehicle is an '89 turbo/auto and I am in the San Francisco area. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alphaoenz said:
If you did it right by building the engine from the beginning, you wouldnt be on your third engine...

I know, the first time I just redecked the head and put on new h/g. Second time I got pissed and bought a used engine. Now this time I either want to do a build on the 7m or go with a 2JZ.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theguywiththesupra said:
i can do it! heh, if you want to bring your car to louisiana though...

Would you by any chance know of anyone in Cali that could do it?

·
fabricator
84 Posts
i have no idea of anyone in cali that could possibly do the swap.
it takes a little know how of how the 2j w/ six speed has to be put in... if you do the 5 speed, its alot easier....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
theguywiththesupra said:
i have no idea of anyone in cali that could possibly do the swap.
it takes a little know how of how the six speed has to be put in... if you do the 5 speed, its alot easier....

If I do the 5 speed I would need the bellhousing off of a 1JZ 5 speed? Or use the whole tranny off the 1JZ?

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
ok i think i need to chime in here!

how can u guys not recognize SoCal for what we are famous for?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!? :rolleyes:

Mike Urbano was running a 2J in his MKIII and this year helped Javier drop a 2J in his MKII! this is not an uncommmon thing around socal! no tot mention Dean Marcums new ride he custom fabbed using a 1UZ V8 soon to be TT in his MKIII! Darian in San Diego is finishing up his 2J 750RWHP MKIII as well!

if u need a 2J in ur MKIII i know a grip of guys here who can do it for u! if u want it done right and all the parts available at GOOD prices i can hit up Urbano for u! but no joking around! ill only contact him if u are DEAD serious!

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Steps for not blowing head gaskets:

1) Check the head and block for warpage and surface damage. Machine if necessary.

2) Torque a gasket down with ARP bolts or studs.

3) Do not allow detonation to happen. Ever. Period. This means always running high octane fuel if running 10+ psi of boost. No exceptions.

It's really not that hard.

As for the 2jz, for what it'll cost you to buy the engine and transmission, electronics, and have all the fabrication and installation done, you'll be looking at 4-5 grand at the very least. Chances are, you'll end up spending significantly more than that.

With that kind of money you can full build a 7m with forged rods and pistons, a metal head gasket, ARP hardware everywhere, and have enough left over for a bigass turbo of your choosing.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Good old Simba, reliable as the day is long. Nice response there, you're the man for when it comes to defending the 7m! Do you recommend a metal head gasket or the stock one?

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Thermactor said:
Do you recommend a metal head gasket or the stock one?
Metal is more of a preventive measure than anything. People have run 20+ psi on the stock composite gasket without blowing it. Detonation is what pops them almost every time.

If you're building for over 400 hp or so, I'd say go metal if for nothing more than the added safety margin.

The unfortunate side effect of a MHG, however, is blowing something other than the gasket should detonation happen-- namely a piston dome or ring land.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
That's right, that the stock HG is a safety measure just like fuel cut. I have a new stock gasket lying around. When it comes time to put a motor together, I take it it's best to use this one and some ARP bolts/studs and call it a day rather than going with HKS. Thanks =)

·
Boost Creep.
432 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but to "theguywiththesupra"...

Is that a back-halved ma70 chassis with a ford 9-inch?

Thanx,
Brendan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SupraNick said:
ok i think i need to chime in here!

how can u guys not recognize SoCal for what we are famous for?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!? :rolleyes:

Mike Urbano was running a 2J in his MKIII and this year helped Javier drop a 2J in his MKII! this is not an uncommmon thing around socal! no tot mention Dean Marcums new ride he custom fabbed using a 1UZ V8 soon to be TT in his MKIII! Darian in San Diego is finishing up his 2J 750RWHP MKIII as well!

if u need a 2J in ur MKIII i know a grip of guys here who can do it for u! if u want it done right and all the parts available at GOOD prices i can hit up Urbano for u! but no joking around! ill only contact him if u are DEAD serious!

Your reply was the one I was waiting for. I am starting a new job in two weeks and I will have the cash to do the conversion. I will p/m you when the time is right, until then thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts