Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation.....
I 've been having problems getting a TT because as soon as I find one, I call the bank to get ready with the check and someone always beats me to it. All of these cars have been out of state so I'm losing out because I'm farther away.....
Now I've found an amazing Supra TT....93.5, auto, 25,135 miles, mint, Hks dragger, Greddy bcc (not hooked up), downpipe with hi-flo cats, Toyota Bra + Car cover, owned by older gentleman....for only $23,400.
It's on the autotrader as I'm sure most of you have seen it. I have a deposit on it and my questions are:
1) Should I have a compression check done even though it has low miles
2)Should I get an auto even though I like stick? I plan to get a T-78 so would this create a lag issue ith the auto........
Any help would be awesome since this is time sensitive......The DJ

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
sdf

if you truly want a 6 speed then wait for one...seriously...youll find your supra..I even have an extra 6 speed Ill sell to you for pretty cheap if you want to convert this auto to a 6 speed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

So it is possible to swap. I'm afriad of reliabilty issues after swapping. how easy is the swap. How much would it cost. if it's too much then there my T-78 right there. Would I need a new ecu as well? I'm afraid of the auto due to the launching method of using brake + e-brake. It sounds scary and I'm sure the tranny takes it's toll. I would rather replace a clutch than the brakes + tranny anyday.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
I looked was looking for a 6-speed for 10 months (back in '99) and couldn't find one or keep a hold of one to save my life. I came across my auto and it was everything I wanted (ex. 6-speed) so I took it and am very happy with it.

A couple of things to consider though:

I blew up my stock tranny and then a Level 10, but my SP is holding up well. So that whole situation sucked.

I have driven 6-speeds and they are alot more fun, but I'll smoke them in the straightline, and am just as fast in the canyon's :biggrin: Plus if you drive in a lot of traffic, your leg might go numb with the clutch it will take to hold the power from a T-78.

·
462 Posts
I like the auto as well.

My previous sports cars were 5spds except the '70 Duster with 440BB...it had a turbo 400 auto with 3800 stall.

I'm currently looking at a higher stall TC from PI. Not sure what I'll go with yet, but it will definitely address the lag issue with bigger turbos as well as with the stock twins.

It's a tough decision. I may have went with a 6spd if I could have found one.

I found this auto in 100% stock form with 35K miles on it...so couldn't pass it up.

My car is a daily driver and I find the auto to be very relaxing to drive to and from work.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I'm in the same situation with the auto vs. 6 speed. I've never had an auto car period, but in driving a the auto supras I was suprised how much I liked it. I don't think I can argue with the fun factor of a manual, but the auto is damn convenient. Can someone explain the manual shifting of the auto transmission. I've heard and read about it but never tried it since I'm still trying to find the right car for me.

As to the compression check....GET ONE. I thought I had found the perfect car: stock, 46k miles...and I wasn't going to get the check since it had low miles. I figured what the hell and the check came back with a low average number, once cylinder below min. spec, and the deviation across the cylinders higher than spec.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Auto vs 6 spd..........

Great replies thanks......pretty much sums it up.
I know deep in my heart to possibly wait on a 6 spd but up here in CT with the winter approaching and prices all over going down some, I think this may be the one.

Spool: I've been following alot of your threads/posts and your knowlegde is well appreciated. I almost bought a 97 for 32,000 but I didn't want a huge monthly payment and swap ecu's.
What torque converters do you recommend for BPU levels?
I plan to put a t-78 on in the spring and will the auto have considerable lag? Anyone?

·
462 Posts
Re: Auto vs 6 spd..........

The best converter I've found, with help of others, is the PI.

www.converter.com

From the advice/insight of list members, PI makes a great product and offers excellent service. Read up on the features at their website. It has all the bells and whistles required by a high stall converter along with a billet front cover. They will upgrade it for a nominal fee to their 3 clutch version when it goes into production and include a FREE stall change in the purchase price!

The 9.5 Dragon Features:

A Unique Billet Front Cover
4130 CNC Machined Turbine Hub
Sealed Torrington Bearings
Furnace Brazed Impeller & Turbine
Anti-Ballooning Plate
Reinforced Turbine Vanes
Heat Treated Precision Hubs
Electronically Balanced
Pressure Tested

Serveral tuners resell this converter...for a higher price that going direct. PI quoted $938.

I was considering a 3800/4000 stall, however, I may choose to go lower around 2800/3200 for drivability and tranny fluid temperature control. I will add the recommended Summit tranny cooler as well.

The DJ said:

What torque converters do you recommend for BPU levels?
I plan to put a t-78 on in the spring and will the auto have considerable lag? Anyone?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AUTO VS 6SPD

Thanks Spool........I'll check it out.
But for everyone else, will an Auto give me lag if I put on a T-78 or other single turbo? Is a hi-stall torque converter my only choice to raise boost at the line or low rpms? Any insight is welcome.....I just want to know whats the best for an Auto with a a future with a T-78.

·
462 Posts
Re: AUTO VS 6SPD

The Answer:

A converter that will match the *peak* TQ for a particular engine output.

We are talking about the 2JZGTE right? That peak is ~4200 RPM. The only way to eliminate lag with an auto is a converter...that is about ~400 RPM lower than the peak TQ for the engine output.

Any more Q's! :)

The DJ said:
Thanks Spool........I'll check it out.
But for everyone else, will an Auto give me lag if I put on a T-78 or other single turbo? Is a hi-stall torque converter my only choice to raise boost at the line or low rpms? Any insight is welcome.....I just want to know whats the best for an Auto with a a future with a T-78.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Spool

Yeah I hope I don't sound like too much of a newbie, just that your helpful.
So, even without the launching issue, will I have good pick-up from a roll, say 15-30 mph? And how do you manually shift the car? Is it faster in drive or 2nd? On the highway, is the car better off in drive or 2nd?

·
462 Posts
Re: Thanks Spool

Check this out.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling, which allows the engine to spin somewhat independently of the transmission. If the engine is turning slowly, such as when the car is idling at a stoplight, the amount of torque passed through the torque converter is very small, so keeping the car still requires only a light pressure on the brake pedal.

If you were to step on the gas pedal while the car is stopped, you would have to press harder on the brake to keep the car from moving. This is because when you step on the gas, the engine speeds up and pumps more fluid into the torque converter, causing more torque to be transmitted to the wheels.

Basically, a TC slips like a clutch...providing harder launches with more power.

The DJ said:
Yeah I hope I don't sound like too much of a newbie, just that your helpful.
So, even without the launching issue, will I have good pick-up from a roll, say 15-30 mph? And how do you manually shift the car? Is it faster in drive or 2nd? On the highway, is the car better off in drive or 2nd?

·
462 Posts
The speed ranges for gears are:

1st 1-40MPH
2nd 41-80MPH
3rd 80-120MPH
OD 120-18xMPH (maybe over 200 with raised limiter?)

So pick your gear based on max. HP. At 60MPH I'd rather be in 2nd than 3rd if I was racing. At 75MPH I'd stay in 3rd...but it may downshift if you go WOT. I'd just ease into the throttle vs. "slam"WOT so it doesn't downshift.

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
I would get it. Powerhouse charges $7,000 for a automatic to 6 speed tranny swap using used parts (don't think this includes the cost of a new clutch & flywheel) so right about $8,000..... but you can cut your loses by selling your automatic rear end, driveshaft & tranny. You will pretty much end up paying the same in the end except you will be extremely hard pressed to find a 6 speed with that type of mileage. I know you were concerned about relability issues, but in short, of all the cars that Powerhouse Racing has worked on in the several years they've been working on Supras, I've literally have yet to hear of a single negative comment. The only catch here is the bank is obviously not going to add $8,000 to the loan for your swap.

As far as automatic vs 6 speed goes, let's *PLEASE* not turn this into yet another 6 speed vs automatic debate!!!.....that one has been done to death right along with "which exhaust is the best". However, speaking from experience, I recently sold my old automatic 93.5TT in favor of my new 93.5TT 6 speed. Forgetting about the obvious benefits of automatic vs 6 speed, I had 2 gripes about the automatic.... One, I personally *HATE* the sequential turbo switching system. Hardwire TTC at least gets around most of the BS, unfortunately TTC is way too laggy off the line with the stock stall converter (but excellent once above ~20mph). Secondly, and more significantly, I personally found it just plain boring when driving it casually.... meaning, if I was beating down the C5 on the freeway, it was great, but if I was just crusing home, going to the supermarket......sorry, I personally thought I was driving a sporty car, rather than the world class sports car it is.

-Mike

·
462 Posts
Mike,

Hey...met you briefly in Vegas with Chip/Lagtime.

Your post makes sense on certain issues...however, the Supra doesn't feel *that* nimble when just cruising...does it? It's marketed as and drives like a luxury sports car right? So if your cruising and not shifting, does it make a difference if it's an auto or 6spd?

Anyway, I've heard bad things about conversions...you also need to change the ECU.

I may get a 2nd Supra 6spd and build it for road courses or get a shifter cart for the track. Dunno.

I miss the shifting though, but the auto is fun! The power is right there and you can shift it, just not with a clutch...I know.

So anyway, get what you want...not sure if a conversion is the answer though.

I posted about this and have not received any positive feedback on a conversion.

So, I'll stay with the auto for now...and have a big smile on my face every day when I drive it!!!

:D

Later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Auto vs 6spd

Thanks for the insight. No more debates! LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts