Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 n/a supra and i want to put exhaust on it (cat back)
but it is a automatic and i dont want my car to sound like a
4 banger with a 6" tip on it. so is there a good sounding exhaust
that i can put on a automatic and still sound good?
or does it even matter that its an automatic?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it shouldnt matter auto or stick, but my TRD GEN 2 exhaust is my favorite!! LOW LOW tremble at idle and when driving with overdrive on (about 1.7-2.5k rpm). My friend eric is letting me use the racing pipes from his NA racing supra (circuit) and so I should have both Cats bypassed and it should sound mean from wha I've heard. That nad it should give me about ~10-15 hp

RoB~

·
Registered
166 Posts
Chad,
Most exhaust out there for our cars don't sound like the fart cans on civics, i think its because we have two more cilenders and our cars don't rev up to the same rpms as civics (most of the time). And having an auto shouldn't affect the exhaust note.

Static,
With the racing pipes, aren't you concerned about losing to much back pressure? I heard ahwile ago that having not enough back pressure can actually reduce horsepower. I think I might be wrong, but i guess now is a good time to find out.

Thanks,
Kevin

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure that the stock exhaust on a supra is made the way it is
for a reason if I put racing pipes on it I could loose a lot of
back pressure and it could be a bad thing Im not sure
I will try to find out.

Thanks

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need backpressure. The ECU will compensate for the fuel required.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got my exhuast yesterday on my NA auto, it's sounds rediculous!!!!! I've put an exhuast on my swapped civic and never felt any difference. I felt a huge difference with my 2.5 inch piping and soup can on my mkiv supra. My local muffler shop suggested that I buy what ever muffler I liked and have them build custom piping. Unless your running big HP, mandrel bent piping won't give you much of a difference. My exhaust sounds much louder and tougher than my friends full catback N1 and they look exactly the same minus the bend at the end of the piping. I like my exhaust 'cause it looks clean and pretty much stock minus the crome and It cost me $250 all together with install, versus my friends $750 plus shipping and handling AND install. close to $1000 and he's very pissed. now I've got more $$$ to spend on other mods.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didin't think that trd made one for n/a.
where can i get it/

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yonaga said:
ya thats what i figured... I mean how could you lose horsepower from replacing 2 catalytic convertors? They are like huge buckets that block air flow by a lot and act as mufflers. With straight pipes they'd flow WAY better and would not have to run through like 2 extra mufflers full of grating...

RoB~

also i've never herad a single exhaust sound rediculous on the NA SUPRA unless u mesesd up the piping or osmething...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
suprasocal said:
i didin't think that trd made one for n/a.
where can i get it/
check out the TRD generation 2... it can probably be picked up at www.suprastore.com, but i wouldnt go with them. I dont know if its specifically made for the NA, but the piping and such that comes with it sounds great and still igves a good power additive.

RoB~

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
man, if your noticing such a big difference with just an exhaust, then i definately shouldnt have gone with the big drager. sounds good, but i didnt notice a big increase til after intake, heat shield, and cold air flow to the intake...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
StaticX313: The piping is not messed up! It just sounds really good!!! It sounds really deep and throaty (pause).

BlackSupra93: Too big of a pipe will kill your low end and increase your high end. I noticed that the car revs up alot quicker and is alot more responsive since the single exaust upgrade.

My friend put a 3 or 4 inch (not sure) cat back Apex N1 or his 97 240sx, and he said he difinitely lost alot of low end power but it screams up top. It sounds and looks CRAZY! If you go with a 3 inch or bigger pipe it's great for turbo and will probably sound really deep, but for N/A it's best to go with 2.25 or 2.50 piping, if you are looking to gain power.
I plan on changing my entire exhaust system once I get a big single turbo, but for now I just wanted a lil sound and my heat shield was rattling anyways so I figured why not replace the whole setup. I get alot of slack from people about getting custom piping and a generic muffler but the fact of the matter is it's all the same shit! You're only paying for the Name and why spend big bucks onsomething I plan to replace in the future anyways.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TEAMprojectR said:
StaticX313: The piping is not messed up! It just sounds really good!!! It sounds really deep and throaty (pause).
I wasnt making fun of you or saying you did it wrong... i jut thought you said it sounded like crap and i've never heard an exhaust sound like crap on a supra.

roB~

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
in import tuner they did a dyno run on a na supra with a N1 exhaust they said they lost 1 foot lbs of torqe but gain 16 rwhp, but then again after that it only tipped the scale at 165 at the wheels

·
Registered
730 Posts
vvtisupra said:
in import tuner they did a dyno run on a na supra with a N1 exhaust they said they lost 1 foot lbs of torqe but gain 16 rwhp, but then again after that it only tipped the scale at 165 at the wheels
that was my car =D

but still...even with the hp gain with the N1...the guy i bought the car from said that the canister exploded or something...but it sounds mean

id love to add a comment but im rnning stock TT exhaust

i ran a 3" pipe for a while with the cats still in...mean top end over stock...and even a little bit more down low...with just the pipe intake and safc...i was chirping 1st and 2nd when i hit the gas...but meh...maybe my motor just likes less backpressure

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
RScott said:

that was my car =D

but still...even with the hp gain with the N1...the guy i bought the car from said that the canister exploded or something...but it sounds mean

id love to add a comment but im rnning stock TT exhaust

i ran a 3" pipe for a while with the cats still in...mean top end over stock...and even a little bit more down low...with just the pipe intake and safc...i was chirping 1st and 2nd when i hit the gas...but meh...maybe my motor just likes less backpressure
are you auto or manual?

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Yonaga said:
backpressure has nothing to do with the fuel required...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts