Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
I did a lot of search on this topic but i couldnt find answers to my questions. It seems to me that noone ever swaped manual tranny in along with a new engine.
I have bought my supra about 2 months ago, its a 89T targa auto with 240k KM (150 k miles). I was really looking for a manual but its really difficult to find one up here for some reason.
My engine and tranny dont have a lot of life left (still running fairly smooth though) , and since i was going to do the manual swap anyway (dont like autos) i decedied to replace the engine with a low milege JDM one as well along with the tranny. At my local engine importer there is a JDM 7M-GTE with 5-speed r-154 and ECU lying around and they are selling it for 1500$ CDN (1100$ US) which i think is a pretty good price. I am going to install MHG right away as well.
My question #1 is :
What parts am i going to need if i get this engine-tranny-ecu combo from that place besides the 5-speed driveshaft and clutch/brake pedals? (excluding the MHG parts) I have seen part lists for auto-manual swaps for our cars but some of those parts would come with the engine so i am not gonna need those. Some parts in the list i dont even know the purpose of ( i am new to cars and automechanics), so i dont know if they come with the engine or not.
Question #2:
After reading auto-manual swap tutorials i think its not that difficult of a job (to do myself) even though i have no experience in auto mechanics. It seems somewhat straight forward if you have time and the required parts, except for the clutch pedal instalation. I have ABSOLUTELY no clue how to do it. Some people say its a real pain in the ass. I looked and i found no detailed info on this. Would anyone please tell me if its as difficult as some people say it is, or is it nearly impossible for somebody unexperienced like me? Would it require a lot of cutting/welding?
Question #3:
Is the manual ECU a bolt on replacement for auto ECU? Would there be any soldiering involved in replacing that?

And finally my last question: Its probably the most noob question ever asked on these forums, but i AM a noob so i guess its ok :) I didnt do a lot of searching on this topic but i figured id ask anyway because its a yes/no answer : Is the entire clutch assembly located "between" the engine and the tranny? If it is does that mean that all the clutch components needed for the auto-manual swap will be included in the engine/trnny im about to buy?

Thanks a lot for reading!
Dennis.

PS: parts list for auto-manual swap:
http://www.geocities.com/suprattop/5spdconversion.html

T

·
0 Posts
Umm...Dennis...first of all, if you don't know where the clutch is, then do not attempt an engine installation. :D

You will need the following items to complete the swap:
Clutch pedal & bracket
Clutch master clyinder
Clutch slave clyinder
Clutch hydraulic line
Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate (should all be on your engine if the tranny is already bolted up)
Drive shaft
Transmission mount
Shift boot
maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting.

The clutch pedal is an easy installation. The required holes are already there, just plugged with plastic inserts. No cutting/welding required, unless you want to cut your brake pedal's width to match a 5spd brake pedal. The reason you couldn't find any detailed info on clutch pedal installation is because it is super easy.

The ecu is located behind the glovebox. Usually you won't need to replace the ecu if you are converting auto to 5spd., but since you are also swapping to a JDM, and you've got the 5spd ecu laying around...it couldn't hurt. The ECU is held in by 2 or 3 10mm bolts and has 3 large electrical connections that you can't mess up. This part is also a no-brainer...unplug the old one...plug in the new one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
one more thing you need as everyone would recommend...
beer and ciggy (smokers Only)
along with a lot of cursing and soar muscle
so get ready to feel like crap doing it by your self
get a extra hand and get the right tools like sockets, extension bar for the sockets and look around for the Tsrm or know as the cynus manual floating around the forum.
it will lay out all the steps for you to get the swap done correct, remember the cursing(ALOT i mean ALOT!!!!!!!!!)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks a lot guys, esp Thatthinggotaturbo that really clears most of the stuff up for me.

Umm...Dennis...first of all, if you don't know where the clutch is, then do not attempt an engine installation.
Like i said , this is my first car and i am new to automechanics and i dont have much experience. But i am really intrested in this and i am willing to learn. I think that doing what im about to do will really help me learn better and faster. It might be difficult, but i got lots of time + help from people on this forum + tools (huge socket set, engine hoist). Besdies i dont really have a choice at this moment because i cant afford to pay a mechanic for a job like this right now - that would be 1000$+ just for labor. Id rather spend that 1000$ on a turbo upgrade.

The only thing that i still dont understand is :
What excatly are the master and slave clutch cylinders , where are they located, what do they do and where do i buy them? :D

Thanks again!
Dennis

·
Registered
582 Posts
Clutch master cylinder is located on the drivers side firewall in the engine bay. It hold the clutch fluid for the hydraulic clutch lines. I believe when you depress the clutch pedal, pressure builds inside the lines and causes the clutch to separate from the flywheel.

i believe the slave cylinder is on the transmission bellhousing (i think its on the driversside, i'm not sure)

You can buy them used from people online (just gotta look) or new from the dealer...

Danny

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again

Thanks a lot, Danny that makes perfect sense now.

My last question for now is :
Is the transmission attached to anything else besides the driveshaft and the engine itself? Is it somehow bolted up to the car? Is that what the transmission mount is for?

Thanks again, Dennis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts