Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
huge thanks in advance for auto guys who step up and answer my questions with experience!!!

so basically since my mk3 has turned into this giant wonderful project i didnt think it would be. i am now at the point where i am switching to an auto and cant find the specific answers i need.th350 or th400 will be dropped in (already have both trying to decide witch to use... most lilky will be using the 400)

my mk3 is a turbo with a stock lsd rear end and axles.

how well do these stock rear ends hold up to a trans brake launch? (on full slicks probably hoosiers)
or should i just plan on a foot brake and nitrous setup to keep the hit soft?
where do these rear ends finally decide to shit the bed?

ive seen a few on stock rear ends go upwards of 800 with slicks but they all launched fairly soft.

does it need bracing welded to the subframe? ive seen it mentioned but cant seem to find any pictures or a brace to buy.

and suspension setups? reccomendations? shit to stay away from?

·
Registered
209 Posts
For all things auto supra, you should talk to ATFspeed, talked to him quite a bit there when I was considering going auto. But I still wanted it to be a daily street car so I'm sticking with the r154. THey make an adapter to cut the bell off a th400, put on the mk3 a340 auto trans bell on it and they make a hybrid converter. They also make a flywheel for the 2jz that will allow GM converts to be bolted to.

There was a post about beefing up the mk3 rearend, mostly servicing it and shrimming springs. Someone also makes higher pressure clutch spring sbut the rear end seems to hold pretty well overall.

Subframe, the mk3s have a pretty strong chassis as how damn heavy they are, but the rear sub is known to crack in a spot I can't remember where but mine is okay.

Look into traction arms for the indepdent rear, might need thicker ones to help push those slicks t the ground on hard acceleration.

Basically stock springs are usually best for drag. Some make coilovers. You can fit a 28" tire but it'll rub as I'm told for street driving for speed bump sand such on stock springs.

I'm currently building my supra for a drag setup but also want it to be a daily still so I'm not going full auto, want everything to still work speedo mounts and all that. So I have to stick with an r154 for now.

TLDR Go talk to the guys at ATFspeed for your auto trans build or th400 swap needs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some years ago, Shawn at Best Transmission was rolling out 9's in his 7M powered MKIII with a TH350. I don't remember him swapping out the rear end. I know there is some reinforcing that needs to be done on the rear subframe across the top of the differential. That area likes to crack under hard launches.

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
There is a stickied thread on reinforcing the sub-frame, to keep it from ripping it's self to bits.
Stock LSD is a bunch weak (slipping weak, not breaking weak). People make improved spring kits to improve that.
For auto, use a deeper rear gear. HKS's Sub 8-second Mk3 used a powerglide, and 5.3 rear gears.
They also used a full 4-link 9" ford rear end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts