Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Now...Whitesupra94
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in response to the guy whos gonna race the is, i thought of this. which should he use/which is faster? auto or manu?
Bob
 

·
ส็็็็็็&
Joined
·
919 Posts
from the many times ive been to the track i found the MANU is faster by a couple tenths, but i dont dare use it on the laughing gas dont wanna tag that limiter ;)
 

·
Now...Whitesupra94
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so for drag racing should i use auto or manu? the auto has its certain shift points and i dont know if i could shirt better and hit those exact point and maximize each gear, due to the about a second delay.
PS. do you leave your foot on the gas while shifting or let off?

Bob
 

·
ส็็็็็็&
Joined
·
919 Posts
You just have to practice with the MANU, i still dont get it right all the time and hit the rev-limiter. i noticed with it in D it shifts at ~6,800 and with the MANU i take it all the way ~7,200 which is REAL close to the revlimiter. You want to shift it as it hits ~6,800-6,900rpm and it should just hit the 7,200 mark yours may be diff than mine so just play around with it. And yes i do hold the gas down as i shift :D
 

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
Joined
·
176 Posts
93MSB, hey dont you have the 150shot direct port Nitrous??? :bthumb: have you taken the dawg down the strip while on the juice? if so...wat was your et/trap speed? and if you didnt....how much approximate HP can you feel on your butt-dyno?:D excuse me for all the annoying questions. i'm planning to get some juice myself (wat i really dont get are ppl who have NA's that can actually afford the turbo kits, then y'd u get the NA?) also if you have any questions about the upcoming headers and downpipe, feel free to ask.. thanks

john
 

·
ส็็็็็็&
Joined
·
919 Posts
stang2supra said:
93MSB, hey dont you have the 150shot direct port Nitrous??? :bthumb: have you taken the dawg down the strip while on the juice? if so...wat was your et/trap speed? and if you didnt....how much approximate HP can you feel on your butt-dyno?:D excuse me for all the annoying questions. i'm planning to get some juice myself (wat i really dont get are ppl who have NA's that can actually afford the turbo kits, then y'd u get the NA?) also if you have any questions about the upcoming headers and downpipe, feel free to ask.. thanks

john
Yeah i have the 150 but its just a fogger nozzle system. I havent had the chance yet to take it to the track yet, hopefully soon though, the tracks open back up Feb. Ive been hanging with/beating mid-high 13 sec cars though. And the ol ass dyno is measuring "hey that feels pretty good at about 300rwhp" :D
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Also how does the "Manu" work?! I read the manual, but im still kinda confused on how it works and i dont wanna screw up my transmission or anything so just lmk plz. Thanks

Rob~
 

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
Joined
·
176 Posts
StaticX313 said:
Also how does the "Manu" work?! I read the manual, but im still kinda confused on how it works and i dont wanna screw up my transmission or anything so just lmk plz. Thanks

Rob~
well, its basically you controlling the shifts instead of the car. to know the difference, first try manual shifting w/o it, and then w/ manual mode. i was surprised to find out that there is a difference... oh and you can downshift to 2nd and 3rd but to 1st isnt recommended unless the car has been stopped. and also i wouldnt use the manual mode too much (like all the time), just on occasion unless you have a tranny cooler..etc....
 

·
Now...Whitesupra94
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your beat your engine!! :)

93MSB
[email protected] dude you beat that thing. my auto shifts at 6200 and i really dont wanna take it much higher than that. also, is doing that giving you any power...i thought our power curve drops sharply after 6k. not sure tho. is it safe to be kicking our engines and trannies around in that zone...i mean the redline is there for a reason... isnt it...?
also...if your running around and gettin on it a bit taking it up towards upper 5's and 6's on the first 2 shifts...does your car smell hott when you get out of it mine does. not really a burning smell but you can feel your inhaling hot engine air. it doesnt always smell if you stand at the front of the car..usually around the passenger door or back or the car...but i think thats just cuz i stop before pulling into my garage. my car runs smack in the middle of the temp gauge...but collectively i THINK our cars run hot even there . is this true? o yea...and also..does it cool down rather loudly after you shut it off...like that click sound that most cars make...when cooling down mines loud. just wanted to make sure all's ok.
thanks
Bob
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
stang2supra said:


well, its basically you controlling the shifts instead of the car. to know the difference, first try manual shifting w/o it, and then w/ manual mode. i was surprised to find out that there is a difference... oh and you can downshift to 2nd and 3rd but to 1st isnt recommended unless the car has been stopped. and also i wouldnt use the manual mode too much (like all the time), just on occasion unless you have a tranny cooler..etc....
Thanks man, but iknow what it does just kinda confused on how to use it!? I mean how do you shift?! The picture in the manual is kinda confusing to me so... if u could explain that'd help a ton thanks! Also about the rev limited... what happens if u hit over 7200 rpm!? thanks again

Rob~
 

·
Now...Whitesupra94
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hit the rev limiter...i think it bounces back. to shift you just move from L is first gear, 2 is second gear, and drive is third gear. only 3 spd manu in our car... :mad:
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
are you serious? I thought it was a little different then that... least that what it looks like in the manual. Also bout the 3 speed thing... can our cars really hit 180 in 3 speeds!?!??! lol I had the overdrive off and it was only getting up to 110 b4 it was like really straining and then i clicked on the overdrive and it started going up again... but who knows. Sides (with overdrive on) it seems like the car shifts 6 times b4 it hits 130... but i dun know thas just wierd. Thanks for the help with everything.

Rob~
 

·
Now...Whitesupra94
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
::confusion::

whered you get 180 from? thats near the top for a 6sp TT. both the auto and the manual na's top out at like 148.5mph. we cant touch 180. 110 is just about the top of third.
dont quote me on this part but i think its how it goes... our cars are 3sp. auto w/an electronic overdrive. when you max it in third there is not another gear. this is where the "electronic" part comes in. i beleive it electronically alters the way the car is running to cut the amount of power needed to drive at speed, creating more room for us to accelerate to higher speeds. not really sure if that is true...sounds kinda farfetched but people have told me that before. our fourth gear will be 148.5 at 6800 rpms in "4th" gear. and pushing the rev limiter will give you 150.
yes ill admit it feels like our cars shift a ton. but i shut off over drive and counted...theres only 2 shifts w/it off and it shifts once more w/ od on. so 4 gears. it kicks down into third sneakily when your not paying attention trust me. since i put my air filter on ((apexi)) my car hates 4th. i swear thats where all my gas is going. 16 mpg. 19 before air fliter. ouch...good perf. gain tho. it only goes to fourth once in a blue moon. i hafta back off let it shift and then get on it again to shift at speeds below like 50.

hope this clears some stuff up. ((double check on how electronic OD works tho))
Bob
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
aight thanks man for the help! Cleared up a buncha things. So just to clear everything up... just press the "MANU" button and start in L and then shift to 2, 3, as you go?! Thanks again for all the help

Rob~
 

·
Now...Whitesupra94
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pretty much...

your sposed to press turn of OD, then press manu, set it in L((unless you need to go in reverse first :D )), go, slide the auto into the 2 spot and it will shift with a bout a 3-500 rpm delay shift, and so forth. they recommend turning off OD in the book i think. i forgot once...and turned it off after i was in the D spot ((third gear in manu)) and im 99% sure it downshifted...so u can play around w/that if you want. so if u leave OD on i think theres a chance you'll go one, two, and then the electronic "4th". you can turn off OD after and it may downshift, but you cant press OD and make it go back to fourth. ((not sure it actually will catch fourth at all anytime but i THINK it does))
its a fairly easy process...the manual says dont throttle it while shifting but i have a feeling everyone does anyway;) , not sure what the difference is. the only thing ive done is accelerated real fast and then been like "shoot i dont wanna run the rpm's this high" and i let off the gas and forget to shift up. its probably hard on the engine but you catch yourself after a while of doing it. i floored my car today and in between shifts you can feel the auto tranny doing a fuel cut to make it a smooth shift which slows you down under hard acceleration. you can shift better(not smoother) but more powerfully in manu. and u can also drop it into first when the auto tranny usually wont((ie: rolling starts about ~7 mph)) give it a shot in a neighborhood or something and then play around with it. i wouldnt reccommend doing it as daily driving cuz you will absolutely kill your gas mileage w/out the fourth gear.

Bob
 

·
ส็็็็็็&
Joined
·
919 Posts
Re: your beat your engine!! :)

BlackSupra93 said:
93MSB
[email protected] dude you beat that thing. my auto shifts at 6200 and i really dont wanna take it much higher than that. also, is doing that giving you any power...i thought our power curve drops sharply after 6k. not sure tho. is it safe to be kicking our engines and trannies around in that zone...i mean the redline is there for a reason... isnt it...?
The tranny is a bit tougher than you think, mine is anyway. Its been through quite a bit with me, including 7k neutral dumps, many revlimiters, MANU mode now and then, and now a 150shot of nitrous :D ive been doing it for 2years (except for the nitrous)now and havent had one tranny prob. shifting at 6200? when i hammer it in D it raps all the way 6700-7000 it differs from one gear to another. Like I said when im in MANU at the track I pick up ~2 tenths, its very possible my curve is diff from yours. The revlimiter is there for a reason :) i dont fool with that red line, even then the tach isnt even with what the engine is doing. Stock tachs arent very accurate


BlackSupra93 said:
also...if your running around and gettin on it a bit taking it up towards upper 5's and 6's on the first 2 shifts...does your car smell hott when you get out of it mine does. not really a burning smell but you can feel your inhaling hot engine air. it doesnt always smell if you stand at the front of the car..usually around the passenger door or back or the car...but i think thats just cuz i stop before pulling into my garage. my car runs smack in the middle of the temp gauge...but collectively i THINK our cars run hot even there . is this true? o yea...and also..does it cool down rather loudly after you shut it off...like that click sound that most cars make...when cooling down mines loud. just wanted to make sure all's ok.
thanks
Bob
Yes i do notice the heat, nothing to worry about IMO :D My temp guage does the same thing, goes to the middle then doesnt move at all untill it cools off. i think we just have an extremly good cooling system, that or the temp guages on all our cars are broken :p And the clicking noice you hear is just the AC condesation dripping on the exhaust. I havent really noticed how loud it is though
 

·
ส็็็็็็&
Joined
·
919 Posts
StaticX313 said:


Thanks man, but iknow what it does just kinda confused on how to use it!? I mean how do you shift?! The picture in the manual is kinda confusing to me so... if u could explain that'd help a ton thanks! Also about the rev limited... what happens if u hit over 7200 rpm!? thanks again

Rob~
To use the MANU just hit the button and throw into whatever gear you want, be sure you shift though, because it wont do it for you. ive noticed also with it in manu the OD doesnt matter it disengages that because in MANU your limited to 3 gears anyways. and if you start in D while in MANU and hit the kickdown it will shift it into a lower gear

if you go past the 7200 mark then the rev limiter will kick in, it will make the car jolt a little and repetedly if you stay on it. What its doing is cutting the fuel and/or spark from the engine causing it die for a split second and not accelerate anymore. Im almost positive our cars cut the fuel because of the intervals of the "jolts"


anyways thats my .02 cents
 

·
« f ï z z | ë »
Joined
·
761 Posts
i find myself always saying this when this subject comes up... if you're in manu mode and leave it in D, the car starts moving in second gear (not first/L) i think it's in the book... also while driving normally, i notice that unless i am barely tapping the gas, then the car shifts into the last gear at 45mph and i think it switches from two to three at about 40mph... but usually won't go into fourth until 45mph... i find it fascinating **ohhh...ahhh** :D

one thing i like about the auto is on the freeway going about 65-70mph, the tach is just barely over 2k rpm's, but on the manual it's over 3k rpm's... is that right, or is it just my car?
 

·
Now...Whitesupra94
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
responses: 93msb and others...

i dont know guys...when i drive 60 im at 2800 rpms... is that where the majority of you guys are?((in fourth gear)) the 93's have a slightly better gearing i believe( for acceler)). someone told me this...not sure. maybe your cars are different from mine due to this but i cruise 60 and like 27-800rpms.
93msb
....7k nuetral dumps>!?!?!? your crazy..heh, actually how you do that...i thought the autos have a kickdown for that. if you leave it in auto and take the rpms up in nuetral, it will put the car in thrid and then shift down to first. are you using auto mode or manu mode when u do that?
you have to let me know how the 150 shot works out. im getting sick of this and want "cheap " horsepower now. what's it cost?
do you think maybe its just our tachs that are different slightly or do you my car's cheating me out of some rpms? ive been there in manu once or twice but the auto usually doesnt make past 6.3k probably.
hit me back
Bob
 

·
ส็็็็็็&
Joined
·
919 Posts
Re: responses: 93msb and others...

BlackSupra93 said:
93msb
....7k nuetral dumps>!?!?!? your crazy..heh, actually how you do that...i thought the autos have a kickdown for that. if you leave it in auto and take the rpms up in nuetral, it will put the car in thrid and then shift down to first. are you using auto mode or manu mode when u do that?
I dont do the neutral dumps from a roll, only from a dead stop (it lites em up to say the least :D) From a roll if im in D i let the kick down take care of it. When im in MANU from a roll i shift into 1st at 30mph or less and just nail the gas or at 50mph i throw it into 2nd

BlackSupra93 said:
you have to let me know how the 150 shot works out. im getting sick of this and want "cheap " horsepower now. what's it cost?
hopefully ill have some time slips soon, tx2k2 will the be latest date for those :D I pieced my kit together for ~$350 all said and done, i did the install myself to save cost as well


BlackSupra93 said:
do you think maybe its just our tachs that are different slightly or do you my car's cheating me out of some rpms? ive been there in manu once or twice but the auto usually doesnt make past 6.3k probably.
hit me back
Bob
What mods do you have done? this may tell me a little more about your power band

-Rich
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top