Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I started this today so here we go. I have a few steps left, but all that I need to do is borrow a bigger drill. Otherwise when my boot gets here I'll post some "completed" pics. This should be all you need, except a larger drill and a dremel would be good to have.

First here is how your shifter should look all apart. Let's rewind a little though. The knob is easy to remove. Just pop off the little black cover towards the bottom of the knob and you should see a set screw. Take it out, and it should remove easily. After that it is pretty self-explanatory and you need to cut the wires to the O/D button. Ok, back to the knob apart.

Unscrew the white thing and you will need this mounted in the new knob. I cut it so it was square, and for me you will see why later. You might not have to do this though.

I mounted it in the knob as low as I could so it could bottom out the threads on the shifter in the car. It takes some trial and error, and you may not actually bottom it out. As long as it feels good to you don't worry about it too much. Also make sure you go back and forth to make sure it will go into L (that is the lowest spot the shifter needs to depress to).

Ok now this is the part I need the drill for, otherwise so far I have no had to drill anything out. This is the knob with everything removed. It should be drilled out so the OD button will slide freely completely through.

Also the top part needs to be drilled out so when depressed it is flush when you put the CF button on top of the OD button. You should only drill this top part, with the allen screws, out enough so that only the black part of the OD button fits through.

I filed the OD button flat so the CF button will sit better. I will prob need spacers for final height placement of the OD button as there is plenty of room after you chop down the white thing that was originally on the shifter itself.

I also cut the tabs off the OD button. You will see why in the next two pics.

This is NOT where the OD will rest in the end. I was just making sure it actually fits in the knob. I will re-edit this to show final steps when I get the drill to drill out the knob. I am sure there may be an alternate way, but this makes the most sense for me.

Here it is mounted.

Oh and to note the wires for the OD button fit perfectly past the rectangle white piece that screws onto the shifter. There are some final fitment problems I need to do, but it will be better to do this after I get the knob itself buttoned up. Oh and this EBay knob I got actually looks like it uses a real CF button instead of a overlayed pattern. Big plus for me (about $30 in parts shipped). I am hoping to have this done by tomorrow, but bear with me if it takes me a little longer.

A lot of credit for this goes to StSupDog(sp.), but I am not sure if his way of doing this was the same as mine.

Alex

·
Banned
68 Posts
Awesome write-up!!! Make sure to post some after shots! :bigthumb:

Oh btw, nice deck... I have the same one :bigthumb:

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I hope the boot comes in tomorrow, and I can get a drill so this will be all done for you guys tomorrow. I get all the hand me down decks from my brother, but I must say this is the best hand me down I have ever received :p BTW this is my car right now. Going through a major cleaning/rebuild. I decided to do everything at once instead of over and over again.

Engine bay is next!

:) All this stuff was pretty grimy beforehand.

Alex

·
Banned
68 Posts
Interior reminds me of one of my buddys here! He's also RSP! :)

What type of shifter boot did you end up going with?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just some ebay boot. It was cheap so I will see how it looks/feels when it gets here. If I don't like it I will just get the six speed surround later and keep the stock boot. I will probably do that later regardless if I like this boot or not.

Alex

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
Damn you guys who are doing all this and showing us this write up. Makes me need to get off my lazy ass again and copy you guys. Great write up man. looks good so far. oohhh and lastly i officially hate you because your car is RSP. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well I started this today so here we go. I have a few steps left, but all that I need to do is borrow a bigger drill. Otherwise when my boot gets here I'll post some "completed" pics. This should be all you need, except a larger drill and a dremel would be good to have.

First here is how your shifter should look all apart. Let's rewind a little though. The knob is easy to remove. Just pop off the little black cover towards the bottom of the knob and you should see a set screw. Take it out, and it should remove easily. After that it is pretty self-explanatory and you need to cut the wires to the O/D button. Ok, back to the knob apart.

Unscrew the white thing and you will need this mounted in the new knob. I cut it so it was square, and for me you will see why later. You might not have to do this though.

I mounted it in the knob as low as I could so it could bottom out the threads on the shifter in the car. It takes some trial and error, and you may not actually bottom it out. As long as it feels good to you don't worry about it too much. Also make sure you go back and forth to make sure it will go into L (that is the lowest spot the shifter needs to depress to).

Ok now this is the part I need the drill for, otherwise so far I have no had to drill anything out. This is the knob with everything removed. It should be drilled out so the OD button will slide freely completely through.

Also the top part needs to be drilled out so when depressed it is flush when you put the CF button on top of the OD button. You should only drill this top part, with the allen screws, out enough so that only the black part of the OD button fits through.

I filed the OD button flat so the CF button will sit better. I will prob need spacers for final height placement of the OD button as there is plenty of room after you chop down the white thing that was originally on the shifter itself.

I also cut the tabs off the OD button. You will see why in the next two pics.

This is NOT where the OD will rest in the end. I was just making sure it actually fits in the knob. I will re-edit this to show final steps when I get the drill to drill out the knob. I am sure there may be an alternate way, but this makes the most sense for me.

Here it is mounted.

Oh and to note the wires for the OD button fit perfectly past the rectangle white piece that screws onto the shifter. There are some final fitment problems I need to do, but it will be better to do this after I get the knob itself buttoned up. Oh and this EBay knob I got actually looks like it uses a real CF button instead of a overlayed pattern. Big plus for me (about $30 in parts shipped). I am hoping to have this done by tomorrow, but bear with me if it takes me a little longer.

A lot of credit for this goes to StSupDog(sp.), but I am not sure if his way of doing this was the same as mine.

Alex
Great Job Alex!! Glad I could Help with your Questions.. :bigthumb: I did a couple things different but, you understood what I was trying to tell you... You cut the stock plastic insert screw, I actually drilled and tap it all the way through so I could adjust height by screwing it down further but, there is more than one way to skin a Cat.. ;)

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great Job Alex!! Glad I could Help with your Questions.. :bigthumb: I did a couple things different but, you understood what I was trying to tell you... You cut the stock plastic insert screw, I actually drilled and tap it all the way through so I could adjust height by screwing it down further but, there is more than one way to skin a Cat.. ;)
Thanks! I only cut it because I wanted to make sure the OD button would fit. I probably didn't have to though. I was getting interference when I completely bottomed the knob out though. I know you have yours free shifting so it probably wasn't a problem for you. My knob kept hitting the metal retaining shaft and it would not let me screw it all the way down. I can still melt something to the top of it so it will bottom out IF I can find a way for the knob not to hit that shaft.

Overall it is a pretty easy job. Just may seem intimidating just looking at it.

Alex

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
AlxRSPTT and StSupDog, you 2 will soon be getting bugged by me when i finally get off my ass and try this conversion like you 2 guys.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AlxRSPTT and StSupDog, you 2 will soon be getting bugged by me when i finally get off my ass and try this conversion like you 2 guys.
:) To be honest if I were to do this a second time and I had a bigger drill with me it would probably take no more than an hour. It is really easy. The part that took the longest time was sitting there and trying to decide what I wanted to put where. And should I cut this, or should I stuff this here. After you do it once, you pretty much can redo it in a matter of minutes.

I just got the boot this afternoon, and it looks nice! I wish I could find someone near me with a big ol' drill though. I am stuck without one!

Alex

·
Registered
307 Posts
Even when the Supra is all exposed, open out, moldings, fenders etc, it looks so awesome. Really like the color! is that custom or Royal Saphire Blue?
Nice write up! I am restoring the leather cover on the shifter so this write up does come handy.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm just about done with my conversion too. (Thanks stSup) but i'm not retaining the lockout, and am moving my O/D to the dash next to the "TRAC' button. I will do what I can for a writeup!

·
Blue Thunder
3,601 Posts
Nice Alex !!! I see I may have got you motivated !!!! Good write up, I'd have to make sure to get some pics on my next one I do.

B

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's not done yet as i need to find a 1/2 drill bit I think. Since I don't have one I need to go get one. Just haven't had time! Sorry!

alex

·
498 Posts
Great write up. Your right though, it DOES look more complicated than it seems.

Can't wait to see what the finished result looks like.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts