Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, and maybe I suck at the searches, but I did not find a thread on this matter, or a tech article at mkiv.com. Im wondering if anyone has swapped their auto tranny for a NA 5-speed tranny?

I own a 1995 automatic SC300, and im frigging sick of the auto. Its good for smooth power robbing (I want my 15-20 rwhp back!) gentle early shifts only, with its ridicolously long gears and low stall converter speeds (I can hit 80 in second wtf?). And since I decided to go via the NA-T route with my lexus, my automatic tranny is the weakest link! So thus it must be the first mod to be done! (TT brakes and wheels comes next.) So I was wondering if anyone had done a automatic to 5 speed swap on their NA Mkiv's? Or if there was a write up available? I couldn't find one.

(except for the auto to 5 speeds for the mkiii's)

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
i was considering doing the same... found some good prices on IS300 tranny's... i was told it would work just fine... of course, gonna cost alot more than just the price of the transmission... probably need a new ECU as well

G

·
There is a write up for the Auto to 6spd conversion. Process is the same just different parts. I'll be doing a swap in the near future and will let you know what all is needed.

Ryan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please do, Ill bookmark this thread! Maybe when you do your conversion you could also bookmark this thread as well and let me know how your swap went! I realistically expect to do this conversion in aproximately 6 to 8 months!

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I did the conversion. You need the tranny and shifter, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft, clutch pedal assembly, clutch master and slave cylinders and line. Install is basically plug-n-play. You do need to cut out a little of the tunnel to allow room for the 5-speed shifter. You have to drill a few holes in the firewall to mount the master cylinder (luckily they are already marked), and you have to wire the reverse light switch. Everything else just bolts up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could you give me an estimate about how much the parts alone cost?

(im expecting somewhere around 1500-2000... i could be way off.)

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
If you can find someone parting out a 5-speed and get everything, that is your best bet. I spent $1500 on everything, including a new flywheel and clutch.

·
565rwhp Turbo Lexus
727 Posts
I have a '93 SC300 5 speed ECU if anyone needs it ... make an offer thru PM.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has anyone considered or tried a 700-r4 race trans,or a chevy powerglide or a pontiac turbo 400 street/strip race tranny from jackson racing.They run about $500-800 bucks on E-bay and handle in excess of 500hp.And is completely streetable.There is a NA-T auto supra that I've seen with a hurst powerglide shifter where the auto shifter used to reside.This car runs 11's by the way.I have seen the engine bay and its a T-66 NA-T conversion.I Tried to befriend the cars owner and his mechanic but they both started to act all aloof when a friend of mine mentiond to them that I also went NA-T,and I was looking at tranny options.
But through some snooping.I found out factually that the tranny is one of the above mentioned.And Lance at toyomoto supplied the knowhow as well as the hardware For the Turbo conv on that car.So I'm sure he knows about the tranny they used.The NA ECU is being used (for the TRANNY) and a standalone is hardwired and running parrallel with it.Has anyone tried one of these tranny's in their NA-T auto's.If not,from what I've heard its definately an option.Can Someone find out the details like bellhousing compatability or adapters ,part numbers etc?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I knew they made different drag trannies for the sc300/NA supra, but I quickly dismissed it as a option since I wan't my car to also do well at road courses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts