Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can change my auto tranny to a 5 speed? Or does anyone know about anykind of shift kits for the auto tranny.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Powerhouse racing offers tranny swap. But, I haven't found any place in LA. Let me know if you do because I been looking for it for awhile. I did found a shop willing to swap it for me if I come with 5 speed tranny.....:D Like if I can find one.
Anybody want Auto tranny let me know. I'll pay for the operation.:D

Danny

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I swapped my car from a auto to 5-speed. I found a guy parting out a car, and did the conversion myself. It was all pretty straightforward. The most difficult parts were drilling the holes in the firewall for the clutch pedal assembly, and enlarging the hole in the floor for the shifter to come through. The rest was basically plug-n-play. the parts you need are: tranny with shifter, flywheel, clutch, clutch pedal assembly, clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, clutch line, driveshaft, ECU, and the shifter boot/plastic dash piece. I now converted back to auto :eek: I sold the 5-speed stuff already tho...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out Powerhouseracing they have sold used 5 speed trannys in the past. Go to the specials section of the website.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey

Hey Hsk73

What shop was this . I have an 87 Manual supra that is not worth fixing. I want to swap i'ts manual tanny to my Automatic.
Or does anyone know where I can get it swapt for a reasonable price.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I couldn't keep a clutch in the car.... And I mostly drag race and street race, so a built auto with high stall converter is the better choice for me.

supra75 said:
Why did you go back to auto ?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SP Engineering in city of industry.
$2,500 if you have all the necessary parts. Give'em a call.

Danny

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaveH, you got to tell me more about this high stall converter thing. Sounds like something I must have. :D What is it? How does it work? Where can I get it? Thanks, man.

Danny

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
The converter I'm using now is a modified stock converter. The stall speed is around 3000-3200, which means if you hold the brakes and step on the gas the tach goes to about 3000 or so rpm. What this means is when you take off from a stop, you acellerate much faster because the engine is higher in the rpm band and is making more power. I'm changing over the winter to a completely new converter that stalls at 3800rpm or so, to leave the line even harder. I already have a buyer for my used converter, but if he changes his mind for any reason I'll let you know.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you modify it yourself? I like to try it if it's not too complicated. Could you give short tutorial?
Meanwhile, how much for your used one and what are you replacing it with? And, how much is that on costing you? Thanks.

Danny

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Nope, places that specialize in converters do it. I got mine through Sound Performance... I think it was $725 with exchange. We agreed on $500 plus exchange for my used one (only a couple hundred miles). The new one is around $1000.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you chooce to go with SP because they have the best converter?
I've done some searching and found few converters myself. Honorstly I can't tell the difference. Have you heard of Pro Torque in NY? Looks like their stuff produces highest number and price seems pretty good, too.
May be I should start a thread, asking what others have on their car?
And, do you think it's worth it to put it in N/A? I haven't convert it to turbo, yet. And, I'm not planning on it anytime soon. I just want faster start! :D

Danny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts