Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 94 AutoTT and can't really fathem spending 5-10k on a just making it a 6-speed(a great one at that but still)I just bought today a low mileage W58 out of a 96N/A with the driveshaft for $200. Thats about 3,000 less then the 6-speed. I thought of the R-154 but felt it would of been more of a headache. What should I do??? Suggestions? I know I can keep my auto ECU, but besides the obvious,tranny clutch,drive. My rear end and other components fine to handle the swap.

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
The w58 is fine, just depending on your power goals. And depending on your driving style. I plan on making 400whp, and Im keeping my w58.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I already have a BPU soon to be BPU+++ so I'll be hitting over 400 easy. Where is a good shop to build these trannys up and what are the weak points.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
the r154 can hold just as much as a getrag...iv seen it...

but getrags are still better...
no it doesn't- I don't know WHERE people are getting this information but NO R154 has been in a car past 800whp. They have several weaknesses such as the infamous thrust washer welding to 1st gear among other things. Although the R154 is MUCH stronger than a w58 and with proper clutch selection will be plenty strong enough for most applications. I REALLY wish the search function was back up as there have been quite a few posts lately on R154s in MKIVs and it would be great if all of the questions and R&D could stick to one thread. Review this thread for answers to your question:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413913

·
ESE CULO
2,962 Posts
I'm debating this as well, I'm looking at the same tranny for 200 bucks as well on craigslist. I like the getrag but it's just so much, I also want to know what can be done to make it stronger. Otherwise it's rebuilt auto for me.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
FYI the swap WILL run you about $2000 with the clutch and flywheel assuming you can get some decent deals. Better than $4500 for the V160

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a RPS clutch that will hold up to 500hp(good enough on stock w58)for just under $500 and flywheel is $270. Also on the debate of the R-154 Duane Stevens in his 7MGTE powered 89 put down 804hps. I easily do that I don't really have 5K+ to put down on a gertrag.Maybe later.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts