Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, took some time to figure this out, so I thought I would post my results.

When converting from an auto to a 5 speed (from the clip), there are a couple of things to remember.

1). Starter - Normally, there are one of two circuits that come into play here, either the NSW (Nuetral switch- auto) or clutch switch. However, since the clip has the manual (and no NSW wiring) and the auto has no clutch switch, the starter works without any wiring. If you have Cruise Control and want to use it, you will have to wire the Clutch switch into the circuit.

2). Fuel Pump - The fuel pump is turned on by the Fuel Pump relay (located on the passenger side wheel well.) The fuel pump relay is powered by the Circuit Opening Relay. The circuit opening relay is on the inside panel of the passenger compartment. This means that the voltage has to pass thru the B1 connector Pin 7 from the Auto transmission NSW to the COR pin 3. Since the clip is a manual, it does not have the corresponding Black/Blue wire on Pin 7 and the COR will not turn on, so the fuel pump will not either. To fix this, make a bridge connector that bridges IH1 and B1 connectors. Solder the Blue/Black wire on B1-Pin 7 to B1-Pin 14 (Black/Orange) Ignition. The COR will power on at ignition and the fuel pump will work normally.

This is only the case when coverting from an Auto to a Manual.

I have to say, the COR circuit is one of the dumbest I have ever seen. It looks like it will only power the fuel pump when the car is starting.

That mod in here has been deleted, it did not work.

Marty

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
i eliminated my relay and resistor pack on my car a long time ago. i just hot wired the 12v trigger from the ecu to the 12v+ that goes to the fuel pump. then inside the trunk, i mounted a 30a bosch relay and used the OLD/stock fuel pump 12v+ as the trigger wire to switch the relay. for the 12v+ constant, i have a 4ga power cable coming from the battery. its the baddest ass fuel pump wiring ive ever done/seen. ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I eliminated the resistor as well. The pump runs on IGN. However, the engine was running rich as hell and cutting out after 4 secs. I rehooked the resistor in the circuit and it idled perfectly. So, either the resistor needed to be in the circuit or it is what I read before about "reset the fuel pump relay and all worked". Not sure, but it is working now.

Marty

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
thats weird...

i didnt know about that happening. ive never heard of it running TOO rich and bogging th emotor down w/ that mod. my 7M runs pretty rich and shoots fireballs alot, but it runs fine. maybe the 1j is more sensative. the relay and resistor is still in place on the 1j car

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is definitely something else going on here. I have been through the wiring diagrams on each motor for this circuit. There is no way it is working as it is shown. I put a switch inline on the pick side of the fuel pump relay in order to shut off the relay. No matter what position (On or Off), it would not shut off. So there is a secondary pick for this relay somewhere. Especially when you look at the diagramn. It looks like the fuel pump should only run when the engine is cranked.

Oh well, I am going through the TSRM again. Sometimes they have circuits joined that are not shown in the original circuit diagramn.

Marty

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Marty

Im doing an auto to 5 speed swap right now..

Did you ever get your COR and FP worked out??

Can i just soder in the black/blue wire into the black/orange ignition?

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, been tied up fixing my Z over the last few days. The answer is yes and I would do it just as you have described. I hooked mine to the black/white wire instead. The downside of that is as soon as you turn on the ignition, the fuel pump runs.

The wiring diagrams do not show the exact wiring for that circuit. There is two picks for the fuel pump relay.

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Ya ive been looking at mt TSRM and cant find anything that is really helping me with this.. I guess ill just run it like i said before and see what happens..

Can you take out the ECT now that i dont have an auto??

Josh

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely. You do not need the B2 connector at all. You can pull the ECT computer from the passenger firewall area as well.

Marty

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Sweet deal.. Im having a big problem with my motor now.. Im spitting allot of gas out of my exhaust??? Ive started a post about it, have any ideas as why there is gas comming out of my exhaust?? Its allot of gas to..

Josh

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check your compression, also spark. Is it starting??? If not, that may be why. Also, the 1JZ runs RICH as hell. Trev (SupraTurbo1987) has a video of his exhaust on fire after he lit it with a match. I think he pulled the O2 sensor and cleaned it up, new plugs gapped at (pick a number, some love .028 and others like it at .038) and it now runs well.

Post back.

Marty

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way, Josh. There is alot of stuff you can pull right out of the engine bay as well. The fans (dual fans for AC), and the wiring for them too. I rewired mine and removed all of that stuff as well as the relay since I am using the hydrofan. Made it look real nice under there with no hangin connectors. I moved almost all of the clips wiring over including the coolant temp sensor for the radiator. The thing looks just like the wiring that was in the clip.

Marty

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Dam marty my car is acting so weird.. I might be in denial about my rings but i dunno at this time.
Ya i took all of the AC stuff out, took the pump of and bought a shorter belt to compensate.. So no AC for me. Its cold long enough up here that wen it gets hot i like to be hot and thaw out.. :)

Fuel evrywear, im going to have nighmares tonight about it...
Its time for bed... :(

Josh

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuel everywhere seems to run in the 1JZ family. Hopefully, you just have a loose connection. If you get normal readings for compression tehn don't sweat it, you'll get it fixed. If you get abnormal readings, the recheck that or those cylinders and make sure you have a good seal at the plug hole.

Good luck Josh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts