Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been asked before...
I used the search and came up with little but, I'm curious about doing the auto to manual swap on a mkiv supra turbo. I find that in my area automatic supras are anywhere from 3-7 thousand dollars less in price with the same mileage as the 6 speed manuals. So if I could save 5 grand by buying an automatic for 6 grand less and spend a grand to do the swap I'd be fine with it.
Just seems more cost effective to me, Since I plan to try and spend as little money (reasonably) on the car as possible at time of purchase.

I'd like to know about how much I'd be looking at to have it done, how hard it is to do, and how hard 6 speed manual trannies are to find. Also is there anything else I should consider when doing the swap (I.E. - upgrade the clutch, etc).

I'm looking for a Supra currently and am planning on trading in my car for it. I'd like to get the info to better help my decision.
Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
well ill tell you this right now...if you can get a v160 swap done for 1000 dollars, then we need to talk. the 6 speeds are very hard to find. if you want one new, its gonna run you about 5600 before shipping. then you have to deal with putting in the clutch, drilling through the firewall, the fluid, etc. the differential of the 6 speed is different (3.13). etc...lots of work, lots of cash, lots of time. can be done, but i dont knwo if youll save more than maybe a grand, if that. good luck on whatever you do though, keep us updated.

Mark

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had no idea trannies were that much new. But thats why I asked in the first place... to find out more.

Any idea about finding used 6 speeds? And also are the 6 speed known to have problems? (since I'd possibly be looking at used ones).
Thanks

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
yeah i wasnt trying to flame you just so you werent caught off guard by it. finding used 6 speeds...hit or miss. not many people swap manual to auto, especially not from the v160. i have seen some around but i think they are from wrecked cars people are parting out mostly. just keep your eyes open and you might catch a good deal...last one i remember seeing was like 6 months ago and was 3k (i dont know if it included the rear end or not).

as for having problems not really...they are generally said to be good till about 800rwhp although many supras have gone far past that on the stock tranny and dif. (obviously you must upgrade the clutch) but if you dont drive it like a jackass then the tranny is awesome. and now you can buy repair parts for it so that helps, before you had to buy an entire new transmission if something went down :eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't seem like a flame at all man. Don't even worry about it.
I appreciate the help thus far.

So it's basically finding someone who may have wrecked one huh?
Kinda sucks, almost like wishing another Supra dies :(
Any good places to start looking into for 6 speeds?

Thanks again.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
for sale forum...occationally you can get a tranny there. ebay maybe? i suppose you could call up the big supra shops and see if they have one they would sell to you. especially one that likes to deal with autos (sound performance or boost logic) i think would be a good bet??

Mark

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Websites for these places?
I've heard of sound performance already, I read about them in an article in SCC a little while back. But I have little idea about thier site or Boost Logic's.
Thanks

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts