Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a "93 mark IV twin turbo auto with 23 K miles. Looking to convert to a V160 6-speed. Does anyone know where it can be done professionally in Florida, particularly in South Florida. Contacted Drag International but their cost is > $17K.

·
Registered
2001 Nissan Altima SE
394 Posts
This is why I held out till I found a V160 car. The cost to convert to a V160 is usually more than the cost difference between an AT and V160 car to begin with. $17k in this market for parts and labor is a deal. With V160's going for anywhere from $6k to $12k just for the transmission plus needing a rear end to match the V160 gearing and all other associated parts dont expect it to be cheaper then you were already quoted.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Absolute steal....or corners will be cut somewhere. To do it right the most of the interior needs to be taken out and the tunnel totally changed out which is a chore in itself.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
A car with 23k is an investment car that should stay auto, not a driver IMO. And I'm one that doesn't normally care about putting miles on a car. It's just that the way the market has been heading for these cars, I would park it in a corner for 10 years and take the profit. I can't believe I just said that, lol! But money is money.

Better than putting it in the stock market.

Al

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
If that quote is too high for your taste and you absolutely must swap in a manual trans, you can look into Grannas Racing and maybe save on the parts while still being a very quality setup. Who ever you call, labor is likely going to be quoted based on hours needed for the job and that wont fluctuate much but, every shop may have their own hourly rate in mind. But as stated, with the mileage and value of the example you have, I wouldn't touch it. Keep it garaged, start it up here and there and take the wife for ice cream once a quarter.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Concur with all that $17K as a good deal if, if a 3.13 rear + axles + D/S is included with labor and extraneous bits.

As for doing it in a 23K mile car… I’d prefer a verified/documented sub-20K mile V160 drivetrain if not brand new w/receipts. Otherwise, and unfortunately I’ll say it too, park it if it’s a USDM LHD in a desirable color combo.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the tunnel cut in mine, and used a Grannis tunnel. Used a fresh rebuild V160, gs430 200mm dif, and have an OS Geiken clutch and Tilton master clutch bearing.
I cut a few corners, and it cost me about $12k all in last year. If you expect a lot cheaper, you will have to get very creative, and not many shops are okay with this route.
Food for thought.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been trying to find my dream car for years. A mark IV twin turbo, stock, red, tan leather interior, sport roof with low miles. And I found it, except for the 6-speed. Just could not pass up a well-documentated 23K car in pristine condition. A similar car with 7K miles and 6 speed recently sold for $201K in Bring-a-trailer auction. I'm fully aware a manual in excellent condition with low miles can be well over six figures.

·
This aggression will not stand, man.
5,266 Posts
I fully documented the factory 6spd swap I did in a white 94 turbo with 10k miles. It’s in the builds sub forum if you wanna check it out.

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I've been trying to find my dream car for years. A mark IV twin turbo, stock, red, tan leather interior, sport roof with low miles. And I found it, except for the 6-speed. Just could not pass up a well-documentated 23K car in pristine condition. A similar car with 7K miles and 6 speed recently sold for $201K in Bring-a-trailer auction. I'm fully aware a manual in excellent condition with low miles can be well over six figures.
As we all are. I think what led some of us to give some side-bar input was that you seemed somewhat dismayed at the 6spd swap quote. Drag International at that I’d think would’ve cost more. Any other good shop particularly in south FL will run around that and would be worthwhile for your car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I realize you are correct. Just as these cars are running more expensive as is their components. A used V160 with unknown mileage is selling on eBay for $7800 and new on Suprapartsstore for $37K! Plan on saving up and having it done at DragInternational. They specialize in Supras.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Let's talk about the value increase of a 6-speed swap. It can be hypothetical, or if someone has real data on how much their swapped car sold for.

Hypothetically, let's say an average bone stock USD TT auto goes for $50k, and and average bone stock USD TT 6 spd goes for $80k. What is the value of an average USD TT auto with:

A. V-160 swap, including all components, diff, tunnel, etc.

B. Grannas T-56 swap, including all components except diff.

My thoughts are $60k for "A" and $55k for "B". I don't see the value getting close to a "real" 6-spd car, nor would I consider the former "bone stock" car to be as such. I would consider it to be "heavily modified". At least for the Grannas swap since it's not a stock option.

From time to time, I've thought about getting an old Mopar. I would want a 4-spd, but if I found one that was swapped, I wouldn't be too excited about it, nor would I pay more than what an auto is worth. Something about the car wouldn't "feel" right, and I would be expecting something about the manual transmission components to not function correctly, or I would be picturing a jagged hole where the shifter pokes thru (if correct tunnel was not welded in).

Opinions please!

Al

·
Blue Thunder
4,425 Posts
I wouldn't molest a low mileage car. Auto or stick, at this point. I'd keep it as is, or sell it and buy a higher mileage one in the spec you want and enjoy it.

You should come out ahead by selling your low mileage auto and getting a higher mileage v160/t56/cd009/r154 MKIV.
If i had a V160...i'd swap it out for a T56 and put that v160 on the shelf. It's gonna get REAL expensive for a v160 in good good shape in a few years !

·
Boost Junkie
15,142 Posts
I'm not sure if the Grannas T56 route requires you to swap out the trans tunnel. If it does, that sucks. If not, then that is the route I would go (if I were you), rather than going the V160 swap. The V160 swap cost me $10K back in 2007 including the $2200 RPS C/C clutch. That was for all new Toyota parts - doing it right, and me doing the work. Crazy to think that today, just the trans alone cost that (nearly). You can keep the rear end, axles, etc if you go Grannas so you save there. Replace the torsen in the auto with a better upgraded rear LSD like the Kaaz or OS Giken and you're set. The gearing is actually better as the MKIV 6-speed rear end has a much taller final drive, which is meant for the V160. You can return it to stock if you don't need to replace the trans tunnel...otherwise its still reversible, but just much more work to do so.

Steve

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
The Grannas kit has a metal piece that attaches to the tunnel to seal it off and match up with the shifter, but you have to cut the stock tunnel opening a little larger for it. That makes going back to auto pretty tough to do - I believe only two of the four threaded bolt holes for the auto shifter would still be there. Some welding would be involved.

Going back to auto with either trans is a lot of work. But then again, so is changing to manual in the first place.

Al

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you don't like the T56M as I know some people like myself don't like the shift quality compared to the V160, there are other options. There are some using the BMW Getrag's and Nissan's CD009 variants with varying degrees of success but my favorite is the Samsonas H Pattern. (Samsonas | Gearbox) Yes they make sequentials. But they also make H pattern too. They make one of the most durable high torque handling gearboxes in the entire world. The only box I have ever seen with a higher torque rating is 6XD sequential box (https://6xdgearbox.com/) with the highest torque rating of 1800ft/lb. D1 cars are switching to this trans. Its pretty pricey some drivetrain packages are $15K-$30K+. Good news is they have bolt on kits for the 2JZ because it is the most popular D1 engine of choice.

My $.02 if you are going to modify the trans tunnel anyway why not drop in a trans-axle? It will distribute the weight backwards and balance the Supra to have a higher power capacity to hook power on street tires. Samsonas sells a trans-axle H pattern for the C5/C6 Vette (1030ft/lb capacity). Roughly ~$9k.The Samsonal sequential is roughly~$14K. Are you making more than 1030ft/lbs? I'm guessing no... Which is about the same price as a T56M-F conversion and cheaper than a new V160 that have (T56-700ft/lb; V160-361ft/lb capacity rating for Getrag 233 from OEM). The good news is Samsonas have great customer service, they are run successfully in motorsports, parts availability and ease of working on is great and have incredibly high reliability compared to all other transmissions in motorsports. I am not aware of any failures in 1000hp+ 2JZ D1 cars season after season. The best part of this H pattern trans-axle is later down the road you can convert it to a full motorsports grade sequential gearbox buy just buying the readily available conversion kit from Samsonas. There is an air shift paddle H pattern conversion as well. from MME Motorsport (H-Paddle Shifter Kit) Samsonas also have the bell housings and everything you need for the 2JZ for a bolt in application. Imagine a trans-axle H pattern manual with air shifting paddles at the same time! If your racing use the paddles, if you are having fun use the gear lever with clutch. Best of both worlds. You can upgrade to this at any time.

If Sequential's are your thing and you want something a little less expensive than Samsonas sequential, then a HGT might be for you. (https://shopfigs.com/v3/brakes-driveline/CAT-HGT) They have a optional paddle shift kit built in with this package for $200. Seq shifter/Paddle shifted Supra? Sign me up. No missed shifts, fast shifts, and no loss of boost in shifts. HGT quoted me ~$9K. Rated at 738ft/lb. Personally my cup of tea would be the Samsonas H Pattern trans-axle with the air shift kit. Matter of fact I'm in proccess of purchasing this very setup in my car right now.

If you are worried about gear noise, there is a material called Mass loaded vinyl. 2lb/ft version you would only need one layer across the floor of the car and an extra layer on the trans tunnel. STC (sound transfer rating) rating of 31 for each layer. Voila no gear noise (at least in the inside of the car) (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077DKR8JZ/ref=twister_B07ZQHLYBP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

Other than that good luck spending $31K on a 361ft/lb rated 20 yr old transmission tech that will eventually wear out syncromesh or crack center case or start grinding gears in about 10 years from now. Not to mention parts are not available anymore for it already now; what happens 10-20 years from now?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts