Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this thread should be in the technical or here.

I was wondering if it is worth it to turn a 93 twin turbo auto into a manual. I am not sure if it would be 5-speed or 6-speed. I am just getting into the mkiv from being use to the mkiii. (Please don't bash. Thanks.) So I guess I need to know if it is worth it and about how much it would run to have to buy the parts and to of course have it done. Thanks. Dave Emmert

·
Banned
2,133 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
well what do you mean worth it? are you using this car for the drag strips or tracks? daily driven? hwy monster? why would you do a 5 speed conversion? do a search and you will most likely find what your asking for. this topic has been discuss plantey of times

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
magicsupra721 said:
well what do you mean worth it? are you using this car for the drag strips or tracks? daily driven? hwy monster? why would you do a 5 speed conversion? do a search and you will most likely find what your asking for. this topic has been discuss plantey of times
lot of us college students up at this hour ey? you guys done with finals yet?
(i was hoping to use my post to deter him from even considering what he wanted to do with it... the $5000-10000 price tag and numerous hours involved usually makes people just forget about swapping in the first place)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah. finals ended tues. i figured it would be a lot. like i said, i am just getting into the mkiv. finally found one i could afford but it is auto. anyways. thanks guys. dave

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
thiskidnameddave said:
yeah. finals ended tues. i figured it would be a lot. like i said, i am just getting into the mkiv. finally found one i could afford but it is auto. anyways. thanks guys. dave
no problem... i just finished my finals yesterday.. got raped in statics

but n e way, the conversion is unbelievably expensive...
you can make it cheaper by
-subracting the price of the trans from toyota there (they charge about 4k for it)
-finding a used diff (about 1000 on there)
and sourcing other used parts

try to contact someone who had a 6spd and recently swapped to a TH400, or call places like SP, WOTM, MVP, Titan... they tend to have shitloads of parts laying around that im sure theyd love to get cash for

SP has an entire section of the shop (about the size of 2 car bays) just completely filled with random junk taken off customers cars... any time i need anything i can just rummage thru there and find it... cleans their shop and benefits you! its the best way to do it

realistically if you do alot of shopping around, you can drop the price to near $5k

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will probably just keep it for a while if i do decide to get it. then may sell it to try and get a manual in the near future. i am waiting for the seller to email me a pic of the mileage gauge because he says there is only 59,000 original miles on the vehicle.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
thiskidnameddave said:
To be honest, when it comes to enjoying the speed, I prefer the auto.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
This entire thread subject is purely personal. Id say its worth it to me IF i had the money. I like my auto, but I also would like to have a 6speed. I'd almost rather find another car than going through the process of doing the swap. That is IF I didn't know people that would make it very easy to do, which I do happen to know. ;)

Alex

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
Alx2785 said:
This entire thread subject is purely personal. Id say its worth it to me IF i had the money. I like my auto, but I also would like to have a 6speed. I'd almost rather find another car than going through the process of doing the swap. That is IF I didn't know people that would make it very easy to do, which I do happen to know. ;)

Alex
What he said!

No it’s not worth it! Sell the car and buy yourself a 6-speed. The value between each isn’t high enough to justify the cost of the parts not including labor. Unless you just I love with your car to the point you can’t let he go and you have cash to blow, I would say no.

This is just my opinion, as you will do what you want regardless.

David

·
Registered
300 Posts
i recently done the conversion with used parts. it took around 20 easy hours and cost me less than $2000. i loved my auto but the 6 spd to me is much better

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
s14roller said:
To be honest, when it comes to enjoying the speed, I prefer the auto.
Heh - me too.
However, the auto is somewhat a limitation on the road course - AMHIK! But I just shift it anyway! I see a built tranny on the horizon!

I would not find the swap worth it. I would rather just get a 6-speed that was born that way!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I will be doing the 6 speed swap near the future. Worth it or not, it really doesn't matter. It's all about what you want. I have a low miles auto, and if I swap to a manul, it will be a low mileage 6 speed car. Even though it's a swap, as long as it's done right, it will be just as great as stock manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts