Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for insightful feedback and info comparing the two built trannys for a single turbo supra. experiences, issues, good or bad ect. neither website really explains enough to decipher the difference. the one thing that caught my eye was the price difference. but more expensive doesnt always mean better, so...... how bout a discussion? :) thanks in advance!!!!

-joe

·
Na Zdrowie
958 Posts
there are many threads about both tranny's. I personally have the SP gen 2 tranny. I did have some slight problems in the beginning. At first the tranny was running great.. Then my 1-2 sifts were acting funny. SP took care of it with its warranty. All I can say is, neither tranny will hold HUGE amounts of power for a long time.... Thats where the 400's come in

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DakaDan said:
there are many threads about both tranny's. I personally have the SP gen 2 tranny. I did have some slight problems in the beginning. At first the tranny was running great.. Then my 1-2 sifts were acting funny. SP took care of it with its warranty. All I can say is, neither tranny will hold HUGE amounts of power for a long time.... Thats where the 400's come in
ill be running the phr street turbo set up, so im not planning on breaking any power records. but the cost difference is fairly large. i just wanted to know if the SP was worth the extra loot or if the boost logic was just as good for significantly less.

·
Registered
849 Posts
transwerks, :bigthumb: I love mine :bigthumb:

·
Registered
555 Posts
where is the website for transwerks and what is the cost?

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
Sound Performance said:
DO you guys want me to list everything we do to the tranny?

Not being a smart ass, but yeah.. it would be nice.

And for the above question.. BL does not offer any warrenty..
You have already seen one case in point where the warrenty came into play so im sure its safe to say that the warrenty should have a value.

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
SP tranny:

replace low, intermediate, and overdrive sprags regardless of condition or mileage.

Alto clutches, koleen steels, additional clutches added over stock number of clutches

New pump out of a Lexus tranny

Deep pan out of a Toyota truck tranny.

The valve body and trans case are both machined for O rings instead of using the paper gasket which has been known to fail under higher pressure.

Tranny is 100% disassembled, every part inspected and measured.

Valve body modified for line pressure changes.

bushing kit - replaces ALL bushings

file a small angle on the pump body crescent

replace filter

buff drums

install custom-made upgraded second gear band with high-energy friction material

upgrade spacer plate and accumulator springs with custom replacements

flush and check all solenoids

reassemble and pressure check engagement of every gear.

3 year warranty

When we rebuild the transmission, it will be to 100% new specs, not just with some clutches and a valve body modification.

Hope this helps.

Larry
SP

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
you know,.. I honestly didnt believe that the above post would be posted,.. (I know ive tried looking befor)

But the fact that larry just shed some light on his tranny should tell you the kind of place SP is.. Stand Up!!

Very Nice Larry

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Larry,

My toy trans and converter are at your shop now being built. Do you have an idea when they will be finished? I tried to call but no answer. I left a few ims and no answer either. Where's the love!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I vote for BL, I am not putting down the SP tranny but when I called both vendors the SP folks rated their tranny at no more that 550- 600 rwhp. The BL tranny can take upwards to 700 rwhp and has been know to handle repeated 800rwhp pulls. Larry/SP feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I have an opportunity to buy one but declined due to this fact.

I was suprised since many strong cars are running the SP unit. Maybe I was being told this as a warranty precaution to protect SP from unwanted returns on abused tranny's???

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Rather than hp, I would like to know the fastest track times that people have gone with the SP and the BL trannies. I heard that Larry and Marko both went 9.5 at almost 150 with the SP trannies. Any BL come close to that?

B

·
0 Posts
off topic but if anyones interested i am selling an unused built toyota auto / marko stage 1 trans.. see my ad in for sale section

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
Evolutionist said:
I vote for BL, I am not putting down the SP tranny but when I called both vendors the SP folks rated their tranny at no more that 550- 600 rwhp. The BL tranny can take upwards to 700 rwhp and has been know to handle repeated 800rwhp pulls. Larry/SP feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I have an opportunity to buy one but declined due to this fact.

I was suprised since many strong cars are running the SP unit. Maybe I was being told this as a warranty precaution to protect SP from unwanted returns on abused tranny's???

We have plenty of our trannys being pushed to over 800 RWHP. But honestly, when you get past 600 RWHP the sprags become the weak link........ no matter who builds the tranny.

When people call me and ask what a built Toyota tranny can handle, I give an honest answer. I wish other tranny vendors would too so I would not get so many calls from customers with broken built trannys.

·
Registered
1993.5 White Turbo Supra
919 Posts
VR4_007 said:
Not being a smart ass, but yeah.. it would be nice.

And for the above question.. BL does not offer any warrenty..
You have already seen one case in point where the warrenty came into play so im sure its safe to say that the warrenty should have a value.
BL does offer a warranty, and kean told me their trannys are rated to 800rwhp.. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing SP at all, but it as of now this thread was a lil 1 sided.. figured i'd even it out..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts