Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I had my JDM engine and transmission installed my car shifts funny. Particularly it shifts pretty hard when up shifting through all gears. I don't remember this happening before the swap either. But there was a long period in between driving and not so who knows? Plus I had a dealership install the engine so is it the transmission?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Can you be a little more clear? Mine has always had a firm shift, especially with the ETC button pushed in.

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
Only thing I can think of that'd make it shift "hard" would be to little tranny fluid.

And like Noc. Said.. With the ECT button in it has always been a harder shift , or atleast with my tranny aswell

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I don't think it is a lack of tranny fluid because I was experiencing other problems and had it towed to the dealership and they told me that they corrected the fluid amount, but I will check again. When the gear shifts into the next gear it feels like when you shift a manual to quickly and kinda "kicks" into gear. Could there be any correlation between that and my speedometer needing a recalibration because it says that I am going faster than I am actually driving.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And as far as the ETC button is concerned it shifts just the same.

·
Love teh white wimmenz!
320 Posts
I had some cheap Coastal ATF in there and it shift pretty hard, when I changed it out to some Royal Purple ATF it smoothed out alot and made quiet a difference.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys I will try to change the fluid. Unfortunately I don't / can't spend as much time as I would like to with my car except for driving it so any ideas on the best tranny fluid to use or even how to change the fluid, sorry not as experienced with hands on car stuff as you guys are.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
To be honest, my car shifts pretty much exactly like you've explained. It's actually a good thing, as the firm shifts don't eat up the clutch packs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you are getting "firm" shifts and they are too firm then you might be a little hard to please, the Supra A340E tranny is not a granpa tranny, that tranny was made to handle power from a sports car and unfortunately a firm shifting tranny is one you should be pleased with, firm shifts=tight tranny, loose shifts=soon to die. You might try changing fluid, but it is an indication of a tight tranny.
William 89T

·
Registered
583 Posts
umm the ect button does too make a difference in firmness lol.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
i agree, low tranny fluid will usually cause slippage. from what you describe it actually sounds like it is working more like it is supposed to haha.
i have a good idea what happened. besides fluid level the one thing that has a drastic effect on how the tranny shifts is the line pressure cable. its the one on top of the motor w/ orange boot next to the throttle linkage. id bet when they put the motor in they adjusted it to where it should be when it was installed on the bracket. was probably adjusted on the low side when you had it before. if you wanted to check it- with the car off manually move the throttle cable to wot. there is a little crimp on the line pressure cable that should come to the edge or past the orange boot. id bet its closer to being correct now than it was before which is why you experience firmer shifts.

congratulations! i think you have nothing to worry about :)

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL well thanks alot guys. If I keep up at this pace, I will be as knowledgeable as you guys. I really appreciate the help guys. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts