Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will the automatic trans hold up to doing "track days " a few weekends a year say 30 to 45 min at a time I figure at a minimum a trans cooler. Im looking at the supra now and would like it to be street friendly.

Johny

·
Registered
323 Posts
Auto supra's have stock oil coolers in the radiator however yes an aftermarket one with be the ideal for a track auto car also you might as well by the little fan for the cooler. I'm not sure about how it would last 30 to 45 minutes however even with a tranny cooler i still think it would get to hot. Auto's don't dissipate heat like the 6 speed the are horrible at that.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Larry here sn VickSupra from Mississippi has an auto MkIV and with BPU and then a small single he did many track days and used to say how much he enjoyed it. If you search this section for posts he made, you might find out more in addition to what others will post here.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I know this is not road racing but, I've done 110MPH for about 1.5hrs never had a problem but it really did get Hot. Plus I have a bone stock tranny and that does not help

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
I'll just say this: Cooling - alot of it. You're going to need to set up a trans cooler that will flow well, keep the trans cool, and do it consistently.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
I know this is not road racing but, I've done 110MPH for about 1.5hrs never had a problem but it really did get Hot. Plus I have a bone stock tranny and that does not help
Yea, a track is completely different on a transmission. Moments of WOT then braking followed by low speed acceleration going in and coming out of turns.

I'd also suggest an aftermarket cooler plumbed in series with the OEM cooler.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think a large transmission cooler with a electric fan is the way to go, most people with autos upgrade their radiator to a larger aluminium rad, pretty much all the alum rads are for the 5/6 speed transmissions and do not have the auto trans cooler at the bottom, also the stock auto trans cooler just adds extra heat to the engine coolant which is not good for track use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Depend on the weather. I have run race track for 4 years with aristo auto tranny on my supra. I only broke one torque converter last month. (actually some noise from the TC) I run average 6 times a year and each time has 4 ~5 sections. My car is stock twin TTC mode with 15 ~17PSI. This is the story. My car had overheat with stock cooling system during the summer (over 100F) and winter (40 ~ 60F), big and small track. Then, I changed the Bigger raditator (Power) and small tranny cooler (Fluidyne 9 passage). I don't have overheat any more except the summer 110F with small track (A lot of turns). Then, I added the oil cooler and no overheat any more. Last month, I opened the tranny oil pan and I didn't see any tranny problem except the wire connectors. The connectors are plastic and more easier to crack if I unplug the connectors. I don't have gauage to monitor the temperture of transmission fluid but I dont mind to replace a used aristo TC every 4 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey i have a mk3 supra with a 1jzgte swap i have two auto trannys ones the stock six speed that came with the 1jz and i have a built a304e i.e a shift kit and i have ran 320hp and i know the a304e can hold 500hp stock so will a 3speed with overdrive be better then the six speed do better i also have a tranny cooler in my car but i plan on going to 500hp on a single turbo so witch tranny will work best for track days ? also i would half to rebuild the six speed thats why i didnt use it in my swap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts