Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys...i just got my trans back from a trans builder ...had them put my Lexus pan back on the trans...but noticed they used a cork gasket for the trans pan....i got the trans all in...filled with fluid, and what do ya know...trans fluid starts seeping out the side on the passenger side of the pan, even after trying to tighten the pan bolts alittle more on this side...the driver side stayed completely dry...anyway, i dont know if the pan was bent slightly, or it was because of the cork....but i had to redo my pan last night very very late....and redid it with some of the permatex ultra copper (i know i know....you guys praise the Toyota FIPG red stuff)....so im letting it sit overnight and will fill it back up with fluid probably tonight.

anyways.....does cork suck with our toyota pans or something?

I would have loved for it to have worked with the cork....just something wasnt working on the passenger side.

Guess tonight..ill see how the permatex likes me.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Because of the raised lip on the pan, only a third of the sealing edge actually touches the trans housing. That is why a gasket doesnt work well.

I didnt have good luck with the Permatex Ultra Black, so I switched to the Ultra Grey, which is the equivalent of the Toyo FIPG. So far so good!

Not sure how oil resistant the Ultra Copper is. Good luck with it!

Al

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because of the raised lip on the pan, only a third of the sealing edge actually touches the trans housing. That is why a gasket doesnt work well.

I didnt have good luck with the Permatex Ultra Black, so I switched to the Ultra Grey, which is the equivalent of the Toyo FIPG. So far so good!

Not sure how oil resistant the Ultra Copper is. Good luck with it!

Al
Thanks...yeah i didnt have any ultra grey laying around last night at 1am...so i went ahead and did the ultra copper, because i know i had some of it..... :wavey:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Kinda weird, Ive got my BL built trans in and it has a gasket in it instead of the toyota sealer and it is perfectly leak free. Maybe it was overtightened a bit, you cant go very tight with the cork gaskets or it just smashes down and leaks.

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
If it still leaks get the Toyota stuff.

Steve

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys...it wasnt the gasket...the gasket was fine...but i dont have the cork on anymore...i filled it up today after using the permatex last night, and it leaked again in the same spot....goofy me......i filled the trans with 9 qts without ever cranking the car (for dry fill and lexus pan)....
f
i finally figured out it was leaking out the top of the case, where the little breather vent is and running down the case...guess i shoulda cranked it after 4 or 5 quarts, but didnt think about it filling up and coming out the top with just 9 qts, when i thought a dry fill and lexus pan would hold about 10-11 qts (stock pan dry fill is 8.9 qts)

i cranked the car with 9qts....let is do its dripping...wiped off what i could....went for a drive down the interstate to let all of the dripping sling off the case, and then came back home and put it on jack stands....pan seems fine so far.....it was just coming out the breather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts