Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did some searching, but havent found anything like this. BL Built auto(PI 3800), i was doing some street tuning this morning when the transmission started slipping, then nothing at all, no gears. didnt make any noises, nothing went boom. i turned it off & let it sit for a minute & when i turned it back on the trans kinda worked, i was able to drive it around the corner to my house, wouldnt shift tho, just stayed in 1st. it progressivly slips til there is nothing left, no gears. it will work in reverse & drive when i first start it (cold) but about 30 seconds later, it wont work. same each time i restart the car. yes, it has fluid, but seems to have different levels from the first check to the next
Q: what would cause the gears to just kinda go away like that
Q: why would the gears be there when i start the car, but not 30 seconds after

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
have u checked the fluied??mine did something simalar and i had to much in it..my tranny is stock. i also put a cooler with a fan, and i drove it after and it was fine..if your in the market for a new tranny,atf makes a good unit..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Same thing happen to me although it was a stock auto. I just ended up buying another used one. I might have put too much fluid in there as well. Well at least i have a core for getting a built auto whenever i can afford it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i guess i'll have to pull it out. what tests need to be run to determine if it is a pump, solenoid or converter problem? once the transmission is out im pretty sure the problem will still not be appearent.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
drop the pan and see it the screen is blocked up with clutch material. trash tends to drop away after you let it sit alittle.

·
Registered
375 Posts
have u checked the fluied??mine did something simalar and i had to much in it..my tranny is stock. i also put a cooler with a fan, and i drove it after and it was fine..if your in the market for a new tranny,atf makes a good unit..
I am looking to upgrade mine as well. The ATF one looks pretty solid. Thanks for pointing it out.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I am looking to upgrade mine as well. The ATF one looks pretty solid. Thanks for pointing it out.
no problem.....happy to do so..... i'm waiting on a new unit they are working on and testing..this one will be able to handle 1000 rwhp.. they have a unit now that can hold 800 rwhp....these guys build their own trannys and does all their own testing...this is what they do....build trannys...........................

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to the product review guys, can we get back on topic?
I pulled the trans out this morning. i was shifting it through the gears by hand & turning the tailshaft, i have 4 gears & park which locks the tailshaft. the converter spins freely in both directions, no matter which gear im in. im not sure if this is normal or not. when i was taking it out 3 of the converter bolts were finger tight! wtf?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I bet it's that pos converter. Mine did the EXACT same thing and it's been sitting in the garage, untouched for almost 2 months now.

I've had a nightmare with PI converters. They are pieces of shit and I will never own another. I've already had one go bad on me after less than 100 miles. The current one has around 1k.

At first my converter started making noise. After about a week of a light rattling noise coming from the bellhousing (which I know for a fact was the converter), a whining noise started (front pump I think). PI will tell you that the converter won't make a rattling noise like that in neutral, but that's bullshit. If the flywheel is spinning, the converter is spinning and so is the clutches and shit inside of it. I believe that something faulty with the converter caused the front pump failure. Anyway... a few days after the whining noise started, the slipping started. Then it completely went out on me. Didn't have any gears at all. I got the car home and let it sit for a day or two... cranked it and backed right out of the garage, then right back in and it's been sitting ever since.

I've got a spare stock tranny sitting in my garage that I'm going to stick in there. My issue now is trying to decide if I want to stick the stock converter back in or go with a Titan 3800. I sure as hell won't be putting another PI piece of shit back in there.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good to know! i just pulled the pan off & there is some type of carbon-looking material on the filter screen, not enough to clog it up, but a significant amount. all the ATF is pretty new & bright red, but when i run my finger through the bottom of the pan & especially over the magnets, it is really black. not quite sludge, but the fluid there is filled with really fine particles.
is this from the "clutch packs" ?
What exactly is inside the converter that "goes out"?

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
ok wait you have a BL tranny? and your shifting gears on it? did you ever drove your car and shift gears on the auto trans because i heard these things werent meant to shift..just press on the gas and go

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
clutch packs are done, time for a freshen up

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
...What exactly is inside the converter that "goes out"?
I'm not really sure what goes out in the TC. The last time I had problems, I took the PI unit to PTC (they're fairly local to me) and they cut it open and said the clutches were "burned up". At that time it had less than 100 miles on it.

Even if your converter isn't the problem, you're still going to need to have it cut apart, checked and cleaned out. The shit that's in your filter screen... that's in your TC now too. I think PI charges about $250 for this.

Good luck if you go that route.

·
Blood for Blood
8,321 Posts
Sounds like the clutch packs are all in the pan man... sorry to read this Lance.

Edit:

Others posted above me so I needed to change it a little so you know what I was talking about.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i talked to a trans guy here in town & he said that the forward piston is broken. i guess they crack & it causes the clutches to burn up. im pretty sure that the converter is still good. from what i hear when the converter goes, they lock up & spread metal all through the trans. neither is the case for me.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
I know you already got it opened up, but the same thing happened to me with my bl auto and pi converter. Converter came apart and wiped out the pumps in the transmission. Less than 1,000 miles and it was all junk. I would definitely go with the Titan converter, it sounds like a huge improvement over the PI converter.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
i talked to a trans guy here in town & he said that the forward piston is broken. i guess they crack & it causes the clutches to burn up. im pretty sure that the converter is still good. from what i hear when the converter goes, they lock up & spread metal all through the trans. neither is the case for me.
how old is this BL tranny????? reason i ask is there was a time when the billet forward piston was and opinion. not all of the early trannies were shipped with a billet piston. not sure if anyone will even sell just the billet piston:dunno:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts