Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How reliable are the auto transmissions in supras when performance modifications are done?

·
SpooooL
591 Posts
They are usually good up to about 500rwhp. Anything beyond that without beefing up the tranny, and you're asking for trouble. I just had my tranny replaced and I only had the downpipe and exhaust, but, I believe that the person b4 me did not keep good maintenance on the tranny. Since I had the tranny replaced with a used rebuilt one, I have had no problem.

·
STREET STOMPING JEDI
1,038 Posts
There are some serious posts on this subject by myself and others. Do a search and read up it should answer alot.

Personally I am running a level 10 pts kit, level 10 billit torque converter and PHR tranny cooler.

So far so good, but I dont trust it ......

Ben....

Oh, 503 RWHP (50 shot of squeeze) no TRAC fuse if that helps...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be sure to keep the track fuse in on the auto if you want the trans to last.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trac fuse?

Just for my info. Why would keeping the trac fuse save the auto tranny. Also i know that the trac light is suppose to stay on but does anyones O/D light blink on and off while its on?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Trac fuse?

Apu-dawg said:
Just for my info. Why would keeping the trac fuse save the auto tranny. Also i know that the trac light is suppose to stay on but does anyones O/D light blink on and off while its on?
I'll also like to the answer to both of those questions.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Pulling the TRAC fuse renders the "TRAC butterfly" inoperable. The track butterfly valve is located in the intake manifold and closes briefly between shifts to reduce the strain on the tranny. While the butterfly is closed, the boost supposedly drops to near zero for a split second.

·
SpooooL
591 Posts
Apu-dawg & WCC,

Look behind the throttle body near the windshield. I had all types of lights come on when I first bought my TT, including the O/D blinking on and off, and found out that it was a few small problems, including a hose that had popped off. Behind the throttle body! Look for loose or popped hoses. Later

·
STREET STOMPING JEDI
1,038 Posts
The blinking light is because your trac fuse is pulled. IT will do that, especialy on an auto.

It will also force a soft code when your in OD on an Auto Supra, the over drive light will flash. Dont worry about it.

It is said that it is hard on your tranny to have the fuse pulled. Personally I have no choice, the Auto Supra will do some weird shit with the trac system running when you have a high stall torque converter (over 3000 rpm). Basically it practically dies off the line and then has a hard time with shifts.

I have an upgraded race tranny, torque converter, and race cooler etc so I am not that worried about it, but I know it is pretty hard on the stock tranny.

Hope that helps.

Ben....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts